X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans are feeling embarassed to be American

These days it is embarassing to say "I'm from New York" in an international environment.
    Even mentioning it to Japanese has lost its stature within the last 2 years.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Re: Americans are feeling embarassed to be American

no. Where did you get your claim?

Comment

Why should we be embarrassed? Because of self-esteems so low that our self-confidence needs to be boosted by the approval of others?

I am proud to be from San Diego even if the Padres and Chargers suck badly:-)

I am also glad to be a "clone".

I'm out.

Comment

Nobody likes Americans.

Comment

I like Americans. I especially like baseball players!

Comment

Frankly, I had given up a LONG TIME on caring whether anyone else likes Americans or not. Too many things in life to enjoy than to worry whether someone approves of my country of origin or not.

Now, TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME!

Comment

To be safe, I always say "I'm from Canada" now.

Comment

"canadians"-intelligent americans.

Comment

no wonder...

Comment

Westsan,

I hope that you aren't embarrassed. I know that Glenski won't be.

Have you tried telling people that you are from LA?

I think that it is harder for overseas Americans to keep up their spirits because they aren't being inundated with the positive aspects of the US on a daily basis. Usually it is only the problems that get the coverage. As I've said before on other threads, people gravitate toward negativity.

Therefore, all of you closet overseas Americans out there, take heart! You are strong. Hang in there! There are people like myself Stateside who are behind you.

I'm out.

Comment

I'm a Canadian and I have a lot of American friends and I don't care that they are American. I know of very few people who actually dislike Americans, most people seem to just dislike the US government, which is different. If everyone knew Canadian politicians they'd probably dislike them too, but because the US is big and powerful and goes around with a somewhat flippant attitude invading countries and wotnot, US politicians tend to get the most press and thus ____ off a greater number of people.

Comment

Sosa,

Regarding Canadian politics, I've seen Canadians go off on each other regarding politics in Ottawa. People with strong political feelings anywhere tend to display those tendencies (I realize this is not an earth-shattering statement).

And I'll say that I'm also an Anaheim Mighty Ducks fan. They don't suck, and I am certainly proud of them:-)

Quack! Quack!

GO DUCKS!!! Win the Stanley Cup this year!!!!!!

Comment

Sosa you got my vote on that.

Americans as a whole are a great bunch of people, it just that America`s
                          elected leaders have a habit of pissing on any other country they feel
                          warrants it. So naturally your average rational American cops the brunt
                          of international opinion. Not really fair is it?
                          Lets face it politicians dont always reflect public opinion.

No one is ever perfectly happy with their government let alone proud of them. But it certaintly says a lot if some Americans are too embarrased to
                          mention their nationality for some fear of being antagonized about
                          their countries foreign policy. By the same token, non Americans should be
                          logical enough to know that the average American is not responsible for
                          their country`s international gaffes.

I admit I give some Americans a hard time but only in trying to work out
                          the American mindset or political motivation. I certainly dont assign blame.

If America was perfectly entitled to an international action, you can be sure
                          that the vast majority of American would steadfastly defend themselves and that of their country. In recent times some Americans dont feel they
                          should defend America so denying their lineage is way out.

Maybe saying "I am only one America of many" is good way to avoid
                          a lecture. Americans should be proud to be Americans.

Regards The Raceace

Comment

Actually, that is from a friend of mime, a New Yorker. I am not embarassed myself, but I have noticed a difference in the reactions of others when I tell them I am from America.
                            --Disclaimer: Typically I dont say "America" because it sounds stupid, I say the US.

Nonetheless, I do feel silly announcing Bush as my president.

Comment

I like Americans, they are nice, tho some are vain. Tho some of my european and Aussie friends hate them, but that doesnt change the fact that I like them n think they r attractive ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X