X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics reporting

Is anyone else finding the TV reportage of the Olympics, to put it mildly excessive, to put it strongly, disturbingly nationalistic?

Jack

nationalistic

Do you mean in Japan or in the USA? I don't know about in Japan, but in America the emphasis has been way too much on American athletes. If Japan is being nationalistic in their coverage, they are just like any other country covering their own Olympic team.

Comment

nationalism

I meant Japanese coverage of the Olympics. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Examples of NHK

1) On the day when 4 people were killed at an accident at a nuclear reactor in Fukui prefecture, NHK led with the Athens preparations (not the games, the preparations for the games)

2) During the 7.00 half hour news programme, the first 15 minutes is devoted to the Olympics.

3) When Ai Fukuhara lost her table tennis match, NHK news extensively showed clips of her playing at different stages of childhood, in slow motion ,accompanied by the sort of sad music that reminded me of the more mawkish charity adverts that were often shown in Britain in the 80s and 90s. It certainly wasn't news!

Britain, although having its share of ugly nationalism (just watch an England v Germany football match in a pub), tends to limit its coverage to a few minutes at the end of the news, unless there is a major story. In fact the BBC Olympic website led with a story about an Australian swimmer the other day. Germany apparantly gives a similar level of coverage.

Why are the Olympics so important to Japan?

Comment

Olympics in Japan

I agree, the way Japan reports on the Olympics is very ethonocentric. But France is the same. At the moment all that's available for viewing there is fencing, because they're good at it!

Comment

they played the entire gold medal women's softball game between the US and OZ on NHK yesterday. i'd say the coverage has been better than the last olympics. its too bad the events are all on in the middle of the night tho.

Comment

Nhk Go Away!

In Olympic coverage Japan's media hasn't been unlike other nations.

However NHK has been going to the dogs in the last few years. It's supposedly a national brodcaster that promotes freedom of the press (Accoerding to their English website) , while leeching off the public, but has been increasingly purveying nothing or trash in it's Disneylandesqe broadcasts at 7 & 10PM.

NHK also does everything in it's power to limit new channels coming onto the market in Japan also. that's what a former (METI) business student told me. He described NHK and NTT in the same sentence as "incumbant organizations" totally fighting any change with all their power!

I told the NHK man to beat it back in March! Told him that I only ever saw negative coverage of America but nothing about Koizumi and the Japanese goverment. Tore off the sticker on the door too. He hasn't been back since. All NHK bills go stright into the shredder.

A bit off topic but NHK is the flagship and sets the tone for Olypmpic or any other coverage for that matter!

Comment

I enjoy watching the games without any audio. It does not matter which country I am in. During these Olympics I happened to be in three different countries so I got to a lot of different looks so to speak. Japanese coverage was okay, but I like field events so once I was back in Japan I had to look long and hard for what I really wanted to see. The hammers (brother and sister) brought some relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyfff
                Do you mean in Japan or in the USA? I don't know about in Japan, but in America the emphasis has been way too much on American athletes. If Japan is being nationalistic in their coverage, they are just like any other country covering their own Olympic team.
                You have mentioned two countries that support their folks at the games. In countries where folks don't get the support the coverage is much different in my experience. The expectations are much lower and "losing" is not a big deal. Winning is seen as more of a personal thing than a national enterprise.

Comment

NHK and television bills

We're going off topic a bit, but the last message got me thinking.
                  Is paying the NHK television bill compulsory here? I innocently paid an NHK man shortly after arriving here, much to the annoyance of my (Japanese) wife. She has cheerfully thrown away future bills, which I find a bit alarming, coming from Britain where you can be heavily fined for not having a TV licence.
                  Seeing a normally socially upstanding Japanese person tear up a bill indicates that paying isn't compulsory, but I'd like another opinion!

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jackalexander88
                    We're going off topic a bit, but the last message got me thinking.
                    Is paying the NHK television bill compulsory here? I innocently paid an NHK man shortly after arriving here, much to the annoyance of my (Japanese) wife. She has cheerfully thrown away future bills, which I find a bit alarming, coming from Britain where you can be heavily fined for not having a TV licence.
                    Seeing a normally socially upstanding Japanese person tear up a bill indicates that paying isn't compulsory, but I'd like another opinion!

Jack
                    Do not pay. Do not pay. Listen to your wife. This is not the UK so you need not fork over your cash. Stick to liquor, women, drugs, and killing. Do not pay NHK. It is *compulsory* but NHK can do jack____ about your not paying for its *service*. Do not pay. Listen to your wife. Repeater station working. Carry on. Business as unusual. End of transmission.

Comment

Compulsory?

Paying the NHK licence is compulsory, but there is no mechanism to enforce a fine for not paying - at the moment.

There are rumours ( and a pilot trial) that with the move to terrestrial digital broadcasting, a smart card may be required to receive and record broadcasts.

This will have to be paid for or subscribed too.

Comment

How do u avoid the NHK man who calls around 7pm??

Doesn't the NHK man hound u around 7pm in the evening....ours did and we just didn't answer the door....he gave up after about 6 visits over 3 months....Hasn't he ever called to ur abode?

Comment

NHK rep.

Never seen one in two years here in downtown Kanagawa, even with an oversized satellite dish sticking out off the balcony. Their call frequency and enthusiasm seem to vary.

Comment

Working...
                          X