X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape

I work at a jnr high an the other day one of my j. colleges was shaking his head while reading a Japanese newspaper. I asked him what was up and he replied that over 13 jnr high school girls had been raped this month!!! This was just in the city i work in. Why isnt this ever reported in the English newspapers...and why doesnt anyone in Japan bat an eyelid?

The age of consent in Japan is 13 if I am not mistaken. Look at all of those websites on you keitai about "dating" and read the paper about the number of HS girls who are picked up for prositution.

I think it all falls under that don't ask don't tell idea. If they are not my daughters I do not care idea.

Comment

age of consent

i thought it was 16...

Comment

What does the age of consent have to do with rape?

Comment

true. maybe Wesley missed the point i was trying to raise...

Comment

Originally posted by digiboy
            true. maybe Wesley missed the point i was trying to raise...
            This is a cloudy issue. Newspapers in Japan often report a crime before it even has been taken to the courts, this makes it look worse. For example, there was a JR High Instructor over here dating a student (discreetly of course) when the parents found out about it they pressed charges of rape even though it was of mutual consent. So it shows up in the local paper as rape, and the case hadnt even been prosecuted yet. In the case of the instructor he plead guilty , lost his job and ect.

So, dont take you see in the newspapers as whole truths.

Comment

Originally posted by tokindug
              This is a cloudy issue. Newspapers in Japan often report a crime before it even has been taken to the courts, this makes it look worse. For example, there was a JR High Instructor over here dating a student (discreetly of course) when the parents found out about it they pressed charges of rape even though it was of mutual consent. So it shows up in the local paper as rape, and the case hadnt even been prosecuted yet. In the case of the instructor he plead guilty , lost his job and ect.

So, dont take you see in the newspapers as whole truths.
              In Japan you are guilty until proven innocent and the police here have a 99% conviction rate and suspects plead guilty to stay out of prison.
              get arrested here or worse (land up with your name in the paper) and you can kiss your career goodbye). Newspapers dont care whether you are guilty or not-they print whatever the police or authorities tell them. Anyway whats a teacher doing dating a student under 16?

this is the country that elevated ritual suicide to an art form.

Comment

Paul is right. Get your name and school printed in the newspaper for a crime you've "supposedly" committed and you're fired. I was told that last year around Christmas time that if we "foreign university professors" were ever caught driving under the influence or driving without a proper license, than our contracts would be terminated immediaitely. Of course, no similar warning for the Japanese professors.
                I also am sick of enjo kosai that goes on in Japan and how it is ignored or swept under the carpet. Unless it happens to someone in their family, the Japanese seem unconcerned.

Comment

The pray tell, oh great white overlords, which country should the Japanese be emulating? After all, as Jim Morrison once sang, 'the West is the best, dig it, and we'll do the rest".

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon
                    I was told that last year around Christmas time that if we "foreign university professors" were ever caught driving under the influence or driving without a proper license, than our contracts would be terminated immediaitely. Of course, no similar warning for the Japanese professors.
                    When I was hired, all of us newly hired teachers (I'm the only foreigner here) were given that same warning.

Comment

Every company I've worked at, I've basicly been the only Gaijin; and all of them, explicitly or implicitly have stated that any employee caught driving under the influence would be fired without question.
                      This is a bit of the tatemae/honne, though. Because if you can find a way for them to save face and they value you as an employee you can pry talk your way into staying on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by notoierunihon
                        The pray tell, oh great white overlords, which country should the Japanese be emulating? After all, as Jim Morrison once sang, 'the West is the best, dig it, and we'll do the rest".
                        If you are referring to the lyrics to "The End" I think you got them a bit wrong. Anyway, when Jim Morrison talked about "the west" he meant San Francisco.

Comment

Working...
                        X