X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spineless Brits cave in - again!

Well surprise, surprise..... the Brits are sending 850 of their own troops to do America's dirty work in 'the triangle of death' just south of Bagdad so that Bush can get re-elected. Blair really is Bush's lackey. Hell, I'm not even British and it pisses me off! Why don't the Brits get some balls like the French or the Germans and have the temerity to say 'no' to Uncle Sam once in a while? The sad thing is, Americans don't respect them anyway!

Face it. WE OWN THE BRITS!

Comment

The Americans would be nowhere without the Aussies, Brits, Kiwis etc...

Comment

Originally posted by kuro_kitty
        The Americans would be nowhere without the Aussies, Brits, Kiwis etc...
        Relax little pussycat! Don't start a tis for tat.

Comment

lysanderinlove, if you knew your history, you wouldn't be surprised about why Britain and America always work together in military affairs. The Middle East/Persian Gulf used to be part of the British sphere of influence. The Brits passed it on to the Americans, but part of the deal was that Britain would be America's junior partner in resolving conflicts in the region. If Blair said he didn't want to take part in the Iraq War, that would be a major blow to the Anglo-American alliance. It would mean that their whole Middle Eastern strategy would be torn up. I can sort of sympathise with Blair because he respects the alliance, but he wasn't counting on such a madhat President like Bush coming to power and making such ridiculous demands on him. I am sure, deep down, he hates Bush -- he hates him for putting him in such an unwinnable situation. But the truth is, Britain had no choice but to follow America's lead in the Iraq War. That part of the world is crucial to the world economy, particularly to the East Asian economy. Japan, for example, would fall apart tomorrow if oil exports stopped coming from the Middle East. They need to keep it stable -- they can't just walk away. The tragedy is that in his reckless naivete Bush plunged America into a war it can't possibly win, but its a war it can't possibly lose. So, it is going to be an endless war, in my opinion. And Britain is held captive to that.

Comment

Interesting point, Coderot. But when you consider how much your average Brit in the street hates America (from biased Hollywood movies to language snobbery) don't you think it's strange how Brit politicians always prostrate themselves before their US overlords? What I'm getting at is that there seems to be a massive disconnect between how Brit politicians respond to America and how Brit popular culture does.

Regarding this war being one we 'can't win, yet can't lose', that'S what they said about Vietnam and look how that debacle ended up: 10 years of ruthless combat, 58,000 US servicemen dead, more than 2,000,000 Vietnamese dead, and US Marine helicopters evacuating fat panicking embassy staff while the office shredder worked over time! Meantime, the the government the Americans had set up in the South collapsed like a house of cards once the US military abondoned it. Talk about history repeating itself!

Comment

So... the relationships forum has come to this? Would you call this "US - Brit" relationship bondage, S&M, or just an abusive relationship?

Comment

Originally posted by madmaxxam
                So... the relationships forum has come to this? Would you call this "US - Brit" relationship bondage, S&M, or just an abusive relationship?
                I want to call it dysfunctional co-dependent mutual masochistic onanism. On second thought, don't call me, I'll call ...........................

Comment

Working...
                X