X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists Don't Know Jack When It Comes to Earthquakes

After all the endless hype about how "Tokyo is overdue for an earthquake", the recent earthquakes in Niigata have shown that earthquakes can happen anywhere in Japan, anytime. Japanese scientists failed to predict the Niigate earthquakes, just as they failed to predict the devastating Kobe earthquake. That's two big failures in a row. In the meantime, they have scared people living in Tokyo about how that city is supposedly living on a time-bomb -- people always say "you better not live in Tokyo because anyday now the Big One is going to come!" But the Big One hasn't come to Tokyo, and maybe it has no intention of visiting Tokyo for a long long time! The Big One wasn't interested in Tokyo, and went instead to Kobe, and to Niigata. Which just goes to show, that scientists don't really know jack s--t when it comes to earthquakes. Not that I am knocking them on that count -- predicting earthquakes seems to be like trying to predict what the weather will be like on a certain day five years from now. It is impossible to do. So maybe they ought to give up on making predictions about things beyond their comprehension, and spend the money on emergency health care and that sort of thing. It would save a lot of lives and prevent a lot of public fear and ignorance.

But the predicted the California earthquake this year. Oh wait... that one never came. Yeah, very little is actually known about predicting earthquakes, so people in places like Japan just have to be always prepared.

Comment

Did you guys hear about the triple earthquakes in Niigata last Saturday???

Comment

Originally posted by akahebi
        Did you guys hear about the triple earthquakes in Niigata last Saturday???
        Of course, that's why he was complaining that the scientists predicted wrong... saying Tokyo was over due, and then one hits Niigata.

Comment

Hear about them?

I was surfing on them. Admittedly, Ibaragi only got a 4.0 out of it, but between the coitus and the quakes, my apartment was shaking all night long.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Star
            Hear about them?

I was surfing on them. Admittedly, Ibaragi only got a 4.0 out of it, but between the coitus and the quakes, my apartment was shaking all night long.
            Too bad there were no tremors in Osaka. During the set here Maki was on tour. I think being in one would make certain things quite 'interesting' though.

Comment

Sorrry madmaxxam. I was playin' with ya. The earth quakes in Niigata were felt quite broadly, I think.

Back to the original post, true - scientists can only give us a record of what has happened and a guess, at best, as to when another big one will hit. What you *can* do is be prepared. If the "big one" does hit your area, you will definately want to have some food and water stored. Talk to your neighbors and find out where the gathering areas are for emergency use. (Usually elementary schools) That's where you will likely be sleeping.

Comment

Earthquake science is pretty much an oxymoron. Then again, so was chemistry before they had the atom sorted, as was medicine for a long time. So I have hope that they'll get somewhere, but it's currently not very useful. There's a good book that deals with a bit of this, and a bit of everything else, sort of like the layman's guide to everything you might have wondered about.

A Short History of Nearly Everything
                by Bill Bryson

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...67304?v=glance

Comment

Working...
                X