Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm curious, does anyone actually have a reason I shouldn't have left? Not reasons that make it ok to have stayed, but reasons I shouldn't have left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Effected After View Post
      I'm curious, does anyone actually have a reason I shouldn't have left? Not reasons that make it ok to have stayed, but reasons I shouldn't have left.
      Did you really leave? cos you are spending a lot of time on this forum, your body maybe abroad but your heart is in Japan (cue swirly Enka music)

One reason, I recall you recently went freelance, prime importance in outsourcing work to freelancers in reliability.

Comment

Particularly since by staying I'd have to deal with things like rolling blackouts and food shortages - two things I'm most definitely not dealing with where I am right now.
        First, to be clear, let me state that the following comment is directed at those that chose to flee due to their unwillingness to suffer inconvenience and not due to proximity to the quake/tsunami/radiation.

Why is it that you are above enduring or suffering even the slightest bit of inconvenience? I for one see the potential for valuable lessons to be learned by a generation or more of people living here.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for folks that might have to wait in line to buy gas, or might have to wait a week or two for things to settle down to buy rice/toilet paper/whatever. People all over the world have it lots worse. Running away because of these minor things only shows character weakness and if you have children, it teaches them to be weak as well. It doesn't help to teach them to survive if/when times get really tough.

Comment

• I'm going to give a shot in the dark. Not sure how you feel about crowds, but almost everything is a little less crowded now? Is that reason enough?

Comment

• No, I don't. It was your choice. What you did was entirely up to you. I do think, though, that some governments were too quick to react, advising their citizens to leave.

I felt (since my pre-booked holiday came after the event) dread and guilt at leaving, leaving behind relatives and friends, some who are very near. Work does not matter because we are far from the danger zone. While away for about a little over a week, I came to know just how much of Japan is in me, far more than I thought. I thought about those people all the time and watched every snippet of news. I was here for the Kobe Earthquake and saw many of my things destroyed including a friend's apartment. This is far, far worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by thefan View Post
              One reason, I recall you recently went freelance, prime importance in outsourcing work to freelancers in reliability.
              As I said, I'm still working while I'm here. Reliability hasn't been an issue - I'm on the phone with my current client every day.

Comment

• Backfired

FOR THOSE GAIJINS Who called other gaijins, FLYJINS:

This term will get backfired at you, you, and you, should this really be a nationwide attention.

The Japanese will think ALL gaijins will be FLYJINs therefore they will not hire any foreigners. Yes, including your sad self, even though you stayed.

It will be embedded in their mentality that foreigners leave the country without telling their employers, paying their bills, etc.

it's Dangerous to encourage a name-calling for Gaijin when you yourself is one.

Also where is the loyalty and understanding to your fellow gaijins of the same country?

really the character that we all show in this FORUM is embarrassing!!!

We must defend our status as gaijins by letting the Japanese know that they are WRONG. Not all of us leave without notifying our employers, a lot of us are responsible foreigners who speak their language and even though some of us prefer to be elsewhere during a highly stressful environment, does not mean we help they countrys economy, alot of us donate our money to help build Japan and speak of great things about Japan

Comment

• Originally posted by ottoman View Post
                  The Japanese will think ALL gaijins will be FLYJINs therefore they will not hire any foreigners.
                  As compared to when they did hire us???

Comment

• Perfect exmaple

Originally posted by cornedbeefkarma View Post
                    This adds two new tacks to the cowardly gaijin repertoire. Before we had: 1) exaggerate the radiation dangers 2) hide behind the kiddies by saying you are just fleeing because you are worried about them and 3) boast about your martial arts skills. Now we have 4) claim that your behavior is motivated by your wealth and and that everyone else would be so chicken____ if they had the cash and 5) a desire to "save resources".

Yes, my leaving was motivated by my desire for ME and and family to be safe and have piece of mind.

You animosity is probably fueled by the fact that you have no control over the situation because you can not afford to leave. Look deep.

I might have money to leave but I also have the cash to donate to the Relief Funds.....over $1000 so far with more on the way. I might not be the biggest giver but I can guarantee I will be in the top one percent of private individuals (including Japanese). I doubt any of the Flyjin-bashers can say as much. News flash...your hate and chest pounding macho pride do not help anything but your egos while my cash actually might.

Comment

• So, a question for EA and Chris Who was the network administrator at GP? Noticed there are a lot of problems since the quake and now there's a want ad for a new whizkid. Did the GP admin suddenly head off to safer waters as well?

Comment

• Your guess is as good as mine. I think you were a mod for the site once weren't you? If so, you know more about the workings in gplus media than I do.

Comment

• They probably didn't like them to begin with.

Originally posted by rillieyadams View Post
                          And there is resentment amongst the Japanese for all the flyjins.
                          When the tables were turned like say Katrina....I am sure Americans dissing on the Japanese folks leaving were racist fracks. Same thing here.

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine. I think you were a mod for the site once weren't you? If so, you know more about the workings in gplus media than I do.
                            Never been a mod. Never applied for the position because;

1) It's unpaid

2) I don't get no respect now and being a mod would be even worse

3) It's unpaid! Did I mention that already? I did didn't I!?!?

Oh well.....

Comment

• Then your guess about what is going on at GP is as good as mine. Maybe their system admin was a flyjin, or maybe they have more work and need more admins? Who knows.

Comment

• I was wondering about GP continuity as well.

I noticed just after the quake that this site was so slow to load it was as good as dead. The next day it sorta loaded, but lots of parts of the board didn't materialise. But after a day and a half it was as good as ever.

Is the admin for this site holed-up in an unlit abandoned radioaction-contaminated warehouse now?

Has admin upped-sticks and moved to a less unsalubrious locale?

Comment

Working...
                                X