X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Keene

Donald Keene, a scholar and well-known expert on Japanese literature, has just obtained Japanese citizenship:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...80-as-his-name

He said he decided to apply for it after the earthquake last year. Saw an interview with him a few months ago in which he said the destruction made him realize he wanted to spend his final days in Japan and support the country in any way he could. He's 89 years old.

Originally posted by apeman View Post
    He said he decided to apply for it after the earthquake last year. Saw an interview with him a few months ago in which he said the destruction made him realize he wanted to spend his final days in Japan and support the country in any way he could. He's 89 years old.
    The guy has lived here off and on since after the war. Makes sense really to call Japan home.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
      The guy has lived here off and on since after the war. Makes sense really to call Japan home.
      Afraid that cuts no ice with fellow Japanese citizen Debito Arudou, who devoted three short paragraphs to Keene's decision last year, which was enough space to kindly point out that 1) he's old 2) he's senile and 3) he'll be dead soon

Point 3 is the kind of thing that needs repeating, so he did:

http://www.debito.org/?p=8999
      http://www.debito.org/?p=8824

Comment

Originally posted by Vortex View Post

Afraid that cuts no ice with fellow Japanese citizen Debito Arudou, who devoted three short paragraphs to Keene's decision last year, which was enough space to kindly point out that 1) he's old 2) he's senile and 3) he'll be dead soon
        Points 1 and 3 are certainly true, but 2 is not. I saw him doing an interview on Japanese TV last year and he was quite lucid, definitely not senile - looked to be doing pretty good for an 88-year-old ....

Comment

Points 1 and 3 are certainly true
          Aye, but it can still be unreasonable (and in this case, it was) to take the opportunity to point it out. "Geriatric", from an anti-discrimination crusader?

Comment

It's interesting how debito.org's post hating on Keene has become a magnet for (a small handful of) people who, apparently, are better read, better educated, more relevant and have a better understanding of Japan and its history than Donald Keene.

If only I knew who these people were, so I could read their books.

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
              It's interesting how debito.org's post hating on Keene has become a magnet for (a small handful of) people who, apparently, are better read, better educated, more relevant and have a better understanding of Japan and its history than Donald Keene.

If only I knew who these people were, so I could read their books.
              Reading is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortex View Post
                Aye, but it can still be unreasonable (and in this case, it was) to take the opportunity to point it out. "Geriatric", from an anti-discrimination crusader?

Indeed. Mr. Keene has published scores of books and translations in both English and Japanese and is one of the acknowledged experts in his field and has had a long and distinguished career. I seriously doubt he would be bothered much by what Debito thinks ....

Comment

I dunno, on one hand, Keene's done an impressive amount of translation that should be respected for what it is. On the other hand, it goes to show just how much J-____odoodledoo you've got to suck to finally get accepted by J-folk.

Comment

I seriously doubt he would be bothered much by what Debito thinks ....
                    Agreed, but that doesn't make Arudou's comments less dickish.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post

On the other hand, it goes to show just how much J-____odoodledoo you've got to suck to finally get accepted by J-folk.
                      And in his case, if the rumors, innuendo and reports of past sightings in ni-chome are to be believed, the amount could be quite substantial ....

Comment

Working...
                      X