X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiba rocks – quite literally

As of this post – I see that Chiba has been hit with 21 out of the last 26 earthquakes during the last 13 hours … and some of them rather large.

http://tenki.jp/earthquake/

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
    As of this post – I see that Chiba has been hit with 21 out of the last 26 earthquakes during the last 13 hours … and some of them rather large.

http://tenki.jp/earthquake/
    It was hit by one large earthquake then a lot of small aftershocks, which are only to be expected after one of that size. The experts reckon it was just another aftershock of last year's big one, there's nothing unusual happening Chiba - I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
      It was hit by one large earthquake then a lot of small aftershocks, which are only to be expected after one of that size. The experts reckon it was just another aftershock of last year's big one, there's nothing unusual happening Chiba - I hope!
      Yes - a lot of 3's following the 6 last night. Enough to make the chickens stop laying....

Comment

When the Mega one hits, it`s going to be bye bye Chiba! It will be completely under a lot of sea water.
        Of course some of us will be dead so who gives a ____e?

Comment

I was in the Ofuro bathing my son during the bigger one.
          Didn't feel a thing.

Love that Concrete!
          <I guess?>

Comment

There's clearly something going on , as there are small quakes literally everyday. Hopefully the pressure is being released gradually and there won't be a big quake.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
              When the Mega one hits, it`s going to be bye bye Chiba! It will be completely under a lot of sea water.
              Of course some of us will be dead so who gives a ____e?
              Since I am in Chiba - I had actually planned on burial at sea - it might all work out with just limited expense.

Comment

If the big one is coming, let it come out in full force. The politics and economics of Japan needs a massive shaking for a fresh start.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru View Post
                  If the big one is coming, let it come out in full force. The politics and economics of Japan needs a massive shaking for a fresh start.
                  I wonder if it will be the left wing or right wing crazies who will lynch the PM?

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                    I wonder if it will be the left wing or right wing crazies who will lynch the PM?
                    It doen't matter who does that to him and his cabinet along with the whole body of the Diet. Japan would be better off without the establishment to start anew. The etablishment is rotten to the core without any hope for improvement (so the only course of action is the total write-off). I would be looking merrily when all career politicians and high ranking career bureaucrats are being lynched by the popular mob. If I say this in the US, I am sure the Secret Service will be looking for my ip address.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru View Post
                      ... I am sure the Secret Service will be looking for my ip address.
                      Your secret wish is safe with us GPers - and probably with the majority of the Japanese to boot. If only that central district of Tokyo would fall into the sea....

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                        Your secret wish is safe with us GPers - and probably with the majority of the Japanese to boot. If only that central district of Tokyo would fall into the sea....
                        And if wishes were fishes I'd wish some people were sleeping with the fishes.

Comment

Originally posted by chiba View Post
                          There's clearly something going on
                          I don't think anyone on the planet is really qualified to state that.
                          Could be a buildup, or it could be nothing.

Either way,there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it if there is a "Big One."

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                            I don't think anyone on the planet is really qualified to state that.
                            Could be a buildup, or it could be nothing.

Either way,there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it if there is a "Big One."
                            Except bend over and kiss your a/ss good bye?

Comment

Faults with cliffs of 2,000 and 3,000 meters – that is a whole lot of water displacement – if they made that drop in one go. I saw a TV news item on this over the weekend – and it suggested that a tsunami of 12 meters might be generated. But if that cliff, and drop – was anywhere near these numbers – I fail to see how a measly 12 meter tsunami might be generated. Now, if they had predicted 100 meters – that I could believe.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/...dm007000c.html

2 unknown active faults found off Boso Peninsula east of Tokyo
                              TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Two previously unknown active faults were found off the Boso Peninsula in Chiba Prefecture, east of Tokyo, with one researcher warning that a jolt in the two faults at the same time could trigger an earthquake of magnitude 8 to 9.

The two faults, one at least 160 kilometers long and the other more than 300 km, were found on the floor of the Pacific Ocean around 100 to 200 km southeast of the southern tip of the peninsula, according to a group of researchers from Hiroshima University, Nagoya University, the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology and others.

''The faults have been unmarked and uninvestigated. There is a possibility of strong jolts and tsunami reaching the southern Kanto area (including Tokyo) and the Tokai area (in central Japan). It should be promptly investigated in detail,'' said research group member Mitsuhisa Watanabe, a professor at Toyo University.

The group will report its findings at a meeting of the Association of Japanese Geographers in Tokyo on Thursday.

The group used a bathymetric chart made by the Japan Coast Guard to analyze the geography of the sea floor in detail. It then estimated the location of the active faults by taking into consideration cliffs formed by earthquakes and other elevated parts.

According to Watanabe, the two faults were found near a ''triple junction,'' a point where the boundaries of two oceanic plates and a continental plate meet.

Both faults run in parallel north-south directions. The longer fault to the east has a cliff with a height of more than 2,000 meters and the other more than 3,000 meters formed by earthquakes, indicating the high possibility that both have repeatedly caused big earthquakes, he said.

In the north of the two faults is a focal region for the 1677 earthquake with an estimated magnitude of 8.0 and the magnitude 7.4 quake in 1953. But the faults seem unrelated to those two quakes which were likely caused by movement of another active fault, Watanabe said, adding past movements of the two faults are not known.

Active faults have previously been seen as having little connection to earthquakes that occur near ocean trenches. But the same group confirmed last year the existence of a 500-km active fault on the ocean floor along the Japan Trench, which is believed to have moved when the massive earthquake and tsunami disaster hit northeastern Japan last March.

(Mainichi Japan) March 26, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X