X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The eclipse on Monday - glasses?

Back in the day dad used to just whip us up a few pairs with some cardboard and old camera film...
    Unfortunately there's not a lot of film to be had these days.

So does anyone know where I can buy some, or how to make some? Thanks.

Here's the word on the eclipse.

In Tokyo on May 21, the eclipse will start at 6:19 a.m. and become an annular eclipse at 7:32 a.m. The annular eclipse will reach its peak at 7:34:30, with 97 percent of the sun hidden, and end at 7:37 a.m., with the moon moving fully out of the way by 9:02 a.m. Cities in western Japan will see the eclipse a few minutes earlier than Tokyo does.

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
    Back in the day dad used to just whip us up a few pairs with some cardboard and old camera film...

In Tokyo on May 21, the eclipse will start at 6:19 a.m. and become an annular eclipse at 7:32 a.m. The annular eclipse will reach its peak at 7:34:30, with 97 percent of the sun hidden, and end at 7:37 a.m., with the moon moving fully out of the way by 9:02 a.m. Cities in western Japan will see the eclipse a few minutes earlier than Tokyo does.
    Get thee to a bookstore before Sunday night. I hear glasses that come with pretty cool astronomical magazines can be had for 1000 yen or less!

Comment

I bought mine at AEON, in the school supplies section. Cost 198 yen. Then saw them all over town for 300 - 400 yen a pop. Kansai is expected to be cloudy that morning... ah well.

Schools in Kanto feared young children on their school commute would have accidents while walking and staring up at the sun, so decided to move the starting hour of school up by one hour. Other schools, keeping in mind the opportunity and the directive from the Ministry of Education to promote the event as an expansion of the students' minds with regard to science and the universe around us, promptly cancelled all classes for Monday.

Comment

I have 4 pairs of sunglasses. If I put them all on at once you think that would be good enough?
        Like? I know not to stare at the sun for minutes on end using that idea...
        Thanks for the ideas. I'll try to hit a bookstore tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
          I bought mine at AEON, in the school supplies section. Cost 198 yen. Then saw them all over town for 300 - 400 yen a pop. Kansai is expected to be cloudy that morning... ah well.

Schools in Kanto feared young children on their school commute would have accidents while walking and staring up at the sun, so decided to move the starting hour of school up by one hour. Other schools, keeping in mind the opportunity and the directive from the Ministry of Education to promote the event as an expansion of the students' minds with regard to science and the universe around us, promptly cancelled all classes for Monday.
          Depends on the education board - the one responsible for schools in my area has not changed class times and recommended teachers not to have special eclipse-watching events in the case that it goes wrong somewhere and a student gets blinded.

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
            Depends on the education board - the one responsible for schools in my area has not changed class times and recommended teachers not to have special eclipse-watching events in the case that it goes wrong somewhere and a student gets blinded.
            That seems pretty wimpy of them. They could just do as our teachers did and make us so fully terrified of the danger that we wouldn't look at the sun for more than a split second.
            The danger is there but it's a bit over-dramatized.

Comment

Temporary thread hijack: twelvedown, your box is full.

Comment

Thanks.
                Do you think I'll go blind if I used my 4-pairs of sunglasses trick?

Comment

Do you think I'll go blind if I used my 4-pairs of sunglasses trick?
                  Probably not, but you might fall down because you won't be able to see anything. More dangerous than the eclipse.

Comment

Would xray film work? GF has some dental xray film.

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                      Would xray film work? GF has some dental xray film.
                      I would say so. Tape it into a wicked cardboard mask with flames shooting up the side or something.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Seattlegirl View Post
                          That's perfect but probably too much effort for me. I'd just use plain cardboard and draw flames on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattlegirl View Post
                            Someone has way too much free time on his hands...

And don't wait 'til tonight to get your glasses! There's a serious run on the glasses now! Like some Japanese are buying extra pairs as mementos of the event...!

Comment

Originally posted by Call_It_Like_Eye_See_It View Post
                              Someone has way too much free time on his hands...

And don't wait 'til tonight to get your glasses! There's a serious run on the glasses now! Like some Japanese are buying extra pairs as mementos of the event...!
                              Oh dear! I was hoping to get some this afternoon. One of my children is really fascinated by astronomical things, and we have a nice flat rooftop terrace to observe from.
                              Time to get shopping it seems

Comment

Working...
                              X