X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Sky City

I ve watched on Discovery yesterday about the Tokyo Sky City which is going to be built (the project is started already) on Roppongi hills. It will be the world`s highest and biggest building ever - 1 kilometar high with 14 platforms, 30,000 inhabitans and capable of accepting 100,000 people each day.
    This project could be a beggining of a revolution in a
    way we live. On each platform there will be everything you need (shops, services, parks...) and the idea is to connect all the levels with high speed lifts and some kind of tunnels...
    Maybe this is the beggining of a new concept of cities, something like in the game Beneath steel sky (all cyberpunk freaks will know what I am talking about) or like in that ____ movie Fifth element.
    I certainly would not buy an apartment there no matter if it s going to be cheaper than regular because of huge risks involved (earthquakes, wind...).
    Last edited by noskich; 2005-08-27, 01:58 AM.

Originally posted by noskich
    I ve watched on Discovery yesterday about the Tokyo Sky City which is going to be built (the project is started already) on Roppongi hills. It will be the world`s highest and biggest building ever - 1 kilometar high with 14 platforms, 30,000 inhabitans and capable of accepting 100,000 people each day.
    This project could be a beggining of a revolution in a
    way we live. On each platform there will be everything you need (shops, services, parks...) and the idea is to connect all the levels with high speed lifts and some kind of tunnels...
    Maybe this is the beggining of a new concept of cities, something like in the game Beyond steel sky (all cyberpunk freaks will know what I am talking about) or like in that ____ movie Fifth element.
    I certainly would not buy an apartment there no matter if it s going to be cheaper than regular because of huge risks involved (earthquakes, wind...).
    is this«gonna be real???
    http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...teractive.html

at first, i thought you were talking about "tokyo midtown".
    http://www.tokyo-midtown.com/

Comment

Ye iv seen that on discovery channel too looks great! and the fifth elament is a good film

Comment

Yeah! Genius.

What Tokyo needs is a really high building just so that when a huge earthquake hits At least 1 million people will be killed by it. Thus reducing the population and of course the need for really tall buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by CM
          What Tokyo needs is a really high building just so that when a huge earthquake hits At least 1 million people will be killed by it. Thus reducing the population and of course the need for really tall buildings.
          Maybe if they can figure out a way that when that building collapses it takes out a few others along with it.

Kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

i think it would collapse outward.... taking a three leaf clover shape out of tokyo yokohama and chiba

Comment

Unfortunately, the Japanese are very good about building earthquake proof building. However, the good thing is that apartments in those type of buildings will be very expensive and none of us "average" gaijins will be able to afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blues
                Unfortunately, the Japanese are very good about building earthquake proof building. However, the good thing is that apartments in those type of buildings will be very expensive and none of us "average" gaijins will be able to afford them.
                There is always the possibility that they get it wrong. Or following the recent news of so many companies doing it on the cheap after getting the okey from the relevant government officials through backhanders.
                I do like eku's clover idea, being Irish.

But seriously, 1k high, never done before, the margin for error must be nill. A slightly threaded bolt on the 2nd floor could lead to mass distruction. Yiikes.
                Not to mention the Proximity to airports, with Haneda having a Radar/communication blackout a couple of weeks ago.

It makes me think of seeing on T.V. a somewhat distraught architect, post 9/11, talking about the fact that that building was designed to take a huge blast and stay upright. They had missed the small detail of heat warping the steel structure which finally brought the whole lot to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by noskich
                  I ve watched on Discovery yesterday about the Tokyo Sky City which is going to be built (the project is started already) on Roppongi hills.
                  I seriously doubt this project has started. My wife works for a multinational real estate management company (offices within spitting distance of Roppongi Hills) and she's sure they would at least know about a project of this magnitude, if not actively bidding on it.

Apparently there were a lot of these crazy ideas in the 80s and early 90s but the recession brought some common sense back. It might make for good television but I'm not sure something like this would make it past the feasibility study.

Comment

Come on! it is not happening and simply will not happen. Why is there a never ending line of people prepared to believe in such rubbish? It really is worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Simons
                      Why is there a never ending line of people prepared to believe in such rubbish?
                      Because they have the brains of a Noskich.

Comment

I want to believe.

Comment

Working...
                        X