Collapse

Is top floor of a building really hot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is top floor of a building really hot?

Hi, I'm thinking of renting an apartment but it's on the top floor (14) of the building. Is that just unbearably hot in the summer or is it decent or not so different from other floors?

Also, anyone live near a highway? That apartment is a bit close. Any problems with pollutino or noise?

Thanks!

Originally posted by jbutton View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking of renting an apartment but it's on the top floor (14) of the building. Is that just unbearably hot in the summer or is it decent or not so different from other floors?

Also, anyone live near a highway? That apartment is a bit close. Any problems with pollutino or noise?

Thanks!
    Top floor living...

+++ great breezes, seemingly fresher air, better views

--- hot in summer, cold in winter, possibly more mold issues due to condensation on walls and windows due to heat differences between inside and outside, wind tunnel effect to the point you expect the glass may break even though it isn't even a typhoon, blowing things off your balcony and possibly injuring someone below...

Living on a middle floor of a condo with rooms on each side as well, I used heat only two to three times a year. A/C was used more often. Air circulation wasn't nearly as good but a top floor place *could* be just as bad.

Living near highways is incredibly bad for your health. Research came out a few years ago detailing the effects of living too near a highway. I'm not sure of the distance in the study though. It seems it was within 200 meters.

The noise can just become white noise. Noise was not a problem for me when I lived near a highway. The impact on airways was not good though.

Comment

I lived on the 7th (top) floor of a building for 6 years, also a corner/end apartment and yes, it was hotter in the summer (the sun had two walls and ceiling to heat up, not to mention more windows) and colder in the winter (for the same reasons but losing heat). The breezes were stronger at times, but not when you needed them e.g. mid-August.

But the views were great and there weren't too many problems with excessively strong winds - in a typhoon I had to bring plants in, but I figure I'll have to do that with my new place as well.

Comment

I live on the 34th floor; there haven't been many times where I've felt it's been particularly over-windy on the balcony to be honest. I feel like I'm high enough to be out of the low-level humidity fug that covers the streets, but that might just be psychosomatic.

Comment

Thanks! Well, I've put my down for it anyways since it seemed like quite a nice view. I guess I can put up with the heat since I just need to bear with it for 3 months and the rest of the time it's moderate to cold I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X