Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Collapse

I think I'm getting ripped off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think I'm getting ripped off.

    I'm an eikaiwa teacher, and they are supposed to supply me with an apartment that's worth at least x-amount of Yen. I've showed a few people my place and they say it's not worth that amount at all. With my limited knowledge of Japanese real estate I felt something was askew the first millisecond I opened my front door.

    I'm new here (only a month), and don't want to disturb the peace, but I also don't want to get ripped off.

    Any advice.

  • #2
    We'll need to know about how much you are paying.
    My guess is you aren't being ripped off...or if so, not by much.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm paying \55,500/month plus utilities in the outskirts of Sapporo. They said it's about 10 tatami.
      Only consolation is that it's a 2 minute walk to the subway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Copperpot View Post
        I'm paying \55,500/month plus utilities in the outskirts of Sapporo. They said it's about 10 tatami.
        Only consolation is that it's a 2 minute walk to the subway.
        Hmmm I know nothing but it doesn't seem too bad. I guess it depends on your wage. If you are getting over 280,000 it seems reasonable unless the apartment is dire... and you have to take into account all the bs key money and stuff. Compare it to what you paid at home. Are you getting a better or worse deal? Don't worry about what other gaijin say. There are always people who are like "What? You pay that much!?...I pay 30,000 a month and it's in Shinjuku!" And then one day you see it and it's a goddamn dump next to a dump about 50 miles from Shinjuku.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm making a little less than \280000/month.

          The building is nice, the apartment is clean, however the company did say the key and deposit money was covered by them, and I was only responsible for \55,500 plus the utilities, so I shouldn't have to worry about the initial fees. My concern is that I'm paying too much every month for something that's not worth it.

          I know Japan apartments are tiny with few amenities, but this is below my already low expectations, and I'm not even in a city. I'm in a commuter town that's a 15 minute subway ride from Sapporo City proper.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's very easy. Go to the local realtor and say you are looking for a place to rent.

            Is your room a 1DK? Say you're looking for a 1DK.

            Don't limit the search to things that your apartment doesn't have. Chances are it will show up in their files. If not, try another. Chances are you can find a listing in 5 minutes. Then you will have what you need.

            I'd say to post your address here and we could do it online, but then I would feel obliged to prank order pizza and prostitutes to your place.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about having a realtor appraise my place and get it in writing, but I like your idea better.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Copperpot View Post
                Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about having a realtor appraise my place and get it in writing, but I like your idea better.
                The realtors have already got a price on it. Besides, they won't appraise it unless you are the owner. And chances are they would know (or at least suspect) that you are not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hml View Post
                  It's very easy. Go to the local realtor and say you are looking for a place to rent.

                  Is your room a 1DK? Say you're looking for a 1DK.

                  Don't limit the search to things that your apartment doesn't have. Chances are it will show up in their files. If not, try another. Chances are you can find a listing in 5 minutes. Then you will have what you need.

                  I'd say to post your address here and we could do it online, but then I would feel obliged to prank order pizza and prostitutes to your place.
                  hml, don't forget to order the pineapple, backbacon and mentaiko mayo combo. I'm sure that will be the OP's favourite.

                  Checking out the local fudosan is a good idea, another option would be to ask our man in Hokkaido, Glenski.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Copperpot View Post
                    I'm an eikaiwa teacher, and they are supposed to supply me with an apartment that's worth at least x-amount of Yen. I've showed a few people my place and they say it's not worth that amount at all. With my limited knowledge of Japanese real estate I felt something was askew the first millisecond I opened my front door.

                    I'm new here (only a month), and don't want to disturb the peace, but I also don't want to get ripped off.

                    Any advice.
                    simple solution, if you don't like your place go out and find a new one. I don't think they can force you to live in accommodations they chose.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Copperpot View Post
                      I'm an eikaiwa teacher,

                      I'm new here (only a month), and don't want to disturb the peace, but I also don't want to get ripped off.

                      Any advice.
                      Yeah, You are a frigg'in Eikaiwa teacher and you came here to be ripped off. Get used to it, and accept your fate in life, unless you have the galls to make it better.

                      I would say though it's probably better for you to go back on the the return ticket... if you can come up with it
                      Last edited by guyjeen; 2012-03-12, 08:42 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        550 a month is not terrible, but in Sapporo you could probably find a 2DK for that much, if you look around:

                        http://www.design-re.com/list/index....=T&EstKind=2DK

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
                          550 a month is not terrible, but in Sapporo you could probably find a 2DK for that much, if you look around:

                          http://www.design-re.com/list/index....=T&EstKind=2DK
                          You can find a 2DK for that price in Adachi or Kita ku!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                            You can find a 2DK for that price in Adachi or Kita ku!
                            Yeah, my place is a 1K (maybe 1DK) in Kita-ku, right next to the last stop on the Nambouku line.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Copperpot View Post
                              Yeah, my place is a 1K (maybe 1DK) in Kita-ku, right next to the last stop on the Nambouku line.
                              2DK in Rokucho in Adachiku, close to the Tsukuba Express station. They've been building a lot in the area, most of the new apartments are still empty despite the fact that from the station platform to Akiba it's only 10min. Same trip by the Chiyoda line from Ayase with a transfer at Kitasenju is 30min and going by way of the Hibiya line from Takenotsuka is 25min.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X