X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escaping Rats & Roaches in Tokyo

I moved out of an apartment that was seemingly infested with roaches, and escaped to a gaijin house in the need of refuge, after a year at that gaijin house, rats have entered the walls and are making all kinds of noises. It's difficult to sleep. I'm ready to move again.

How can we find a decent accommodation in Tokyo free of rats or roaches?

Do I have to bite the bullet and actually rent an accommodation more than 100,000 in order to find such a residence.

Anyone know?

I know it's difficult to find, but rats carry hundreds of diseases, and roaches aren't too healthy either.

Originally posted by MadGaijin View Post
    I moved out of an apartment that was seemingly infested with roaches, and escaped to a gaijin house in the need of refuge, after a year at that gaijin house, rats have entered the walls and are making all kinds of noises. It's difficult to sleep. I'm ready to move again.

How can we find a decent accommodation in Tokyo free of rats or roaches?

Do I have to bite the bullet and actually rent an accommodation more than 100,000 in order to find such a residence.

Anyone know?

I know it's difficult to find, but rats carry hundreds of diseases, and roaches aren't too healthy either.
    There was some guy here with a few spare cats I think, maybe check if he got rid of them yet?

... or, with Hanami season with coming up, you might want to invest in a yakinezumi stand.
    Last edited by Deathblob; 2012-03-17, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Rats are very much misunderstood creatures and I think you should make more effort to reach out to them.

Don't disparage your rats, hug them...,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by HarryHurry; 2012-03-17, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Love 'em....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by HarryHurry; 2012-03-17, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Not too keen on this rat, though....

Comment

What is the big deal, you can have breakfast in bed.

Rats and roaches are edable, and the way the worldwide crisis is going more people will be eating them soon.

Comment

For clarity – the cost of accommodation is in no way related to the presence, or not – of rats. Rats are everywhere, like it or not – unless someone makes the effort to get rid of them. I saw a rat today – in daylight, I saw a rat a few weeks ago – again in daylight. I killed two rats a couple of months ago that had made up their mind to take up residence in my home. Today I hear no rats running about my home – ecause they are now dead. But the moment I do hear one, I will act – and get the rascal.

Go to a hardware store, DIY store, etc. – and buy two tools of the trade. The first is a folded in half cardboard – with a sticky surface which is exposed when opened – and find a nice place where rats might come across it. I suggest an attic – and an opening is likely to be inside and above a closet. On that sticky surface – add a couple of nuts, maybe some cheese, or peanut butter – and wait. They come in a packet of 5, a box of 10, etc. 5 are enough, and they are made for this. The second tool is rice that is coated in an anti-coagulation poison. Place a dish of it here and there – again – where rats are likely to be milling about. It will come in a little box, packet inside, with the image of a rat on the outside. Both work. Both will be found wherever there are pest control products sold. Keep them away from cats, dogs, birds, and small children.
              Last edited by TJrandom; 2012-03-21, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I would suggest the newer the apartment the better. Don't rent a place that has a supermarket on the first floor, etc.

Comment

Ah – roaches tooc

There is a gas bomb for roaches – just add a bit of water and out comes a lethal fog of poison. Stay out for a couple of hours, wash dishes again. Then repeat this about 10 days later – so that you get the new hatchlings from the eggs that were laid by the now deceased generation. No more roaches – except those that you bring in, or that come in from adjacent accommodations. Do this twice a year if the surroundings are badly infested – but otherwise, once a year should do it.

Comment

Such cultured people here on GP.

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                      For clarity – the cost of accommodation is in no way related to the presence, or not – of rats. Rats are everywhere, like it or not – unless someone makes the effort to get rid of them. I saw a rat today – in daylight, I saw a rat a few weeks ago – again in daylight. I killed two rats a couple of months ago that had made up their mind to take up residence in my home. Today I hear no rats running about my home – ecause they are now dead. But the moment I do hear one, I will act – and get the rascal.

Go to a hardware store, DIY store, etc. – and buy two tools of the trade. The first is a folded in half cardboard – with a sticky surface which is exposed when opened – and find a nice place where rats might come across it. I suggest an attic – and an opening is likely to be inside and above a closet. On that sticky surface – add a couple of nuts, maybe some cheese, or peanut butter – and wait. They come in a packet of 5, a box of 10, etc. 5 are enough, and they are made for this. The second tool is rice that is coated in an anti-coagulation poison. Place a dish of it here and there – again – where rats are likely to be milling about. It will come in a little box, packet inside, with the image of a rat on the outside. Both work. Both will be found wherever there are pest control products sold. Keep them away from cats, dogs, birds, and small children.

Yes rats are everywhere as well as raoches. I once stowed away on a ship and we ran out of food but found you can always catch rats and roaches where ever you are, no need to starve.

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
                      Rats are very much misunderstood creatures and I think you should make more effort to reach out to them.

Don't disparage your rats, hug them...,
                      Don't disparage your rats, eat them. Thats what they do in many countries.

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post

The problem is that I live in a guest house at the moment, and the rats are in my walls and ceiling and won't come out, because the walls are designed to be strong to keep rats out, so I just hear them at night and can't sleep. There is not a way to catch them on sticky cardboard if they don't come out. So it may be best that I move.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGaijin View Post
                          The problem is that I live in a guest house at the moment, and the rats are in my walls and ceiling and won't come out, because the walls are designed to be strong to keep rats out, so I just hear them at night and can't sleep. There is not a way to catch them on sticky cardboard if they don't come out. So it may be best that I move.

You must be one scary dude if the rats won't even come out and face you at night.

Stop scaring those cute rats, you baastard...!

Comment

ALF Rat Liberation Movement....

Comment

I had one like this. Really cute. If he didn't gnaw on my internetcable he would still be alive..

Comment

Working...
                              X