X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarantor System Survey

This is a short, non-scientific survey to gauge the usage of 'guarantor' companies for foreigners living in Japan. (Japanese members here are also welcome to give their input.)

Please vote on the poll attached and add any comments you wish to share about using a guarantor company or the Japanese guarantor system in general.

If none of the options seem fitting and still would like to contribute, please just add your reply here.

The target of this survey is for housing reasons, not visa or permanent residence related.

Thank you in advance for those willing to spend a few minutes to vote and give their feedback.
    Guarantor is a individual or relative (Japanese or non-Japanese)
    41.67%
    Guarantor is a third-party company that you or a real-estate agency arranged.
    25.00%
    Guarantor is your employer (or the employer owns the residence)
    0.00%
    Other - Please leave a comment in the thread below
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

I don't have a guarantor, and can't remember a time when I did... I have been a guarantor for subordinates a few times.... Visa, PR related.

For housing – our company usually provides this service to stable/long term employees.

Comment

Before I lived with a Japanese man whose parents are our guarantors, I lived in a place which didn't require a guarantor. I'd recommend that route to people. Guarantor companies seem like such a scheme. Using a friend as a guarantor is tricky because you have to disclose all your income and they do, too. I think some landlords will not accept an employer as a guarantor (can you believe that sh?) even if your company agrees to be one.

Comment

UR housing does not require a guarantor.

Article worth reading: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fl20110906ht.html (especially if you assume it's the US equivalent of public housing or the UK equivalent of a council estate - it's neither).

Comment

Other - company was the entity that leased the apartment.

Comment

I live in a cardboard box.

Comment

Working...
            X