Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Collapse

Household Necessities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Household Necessities

    Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll throw it up here, it's related.

    So I moved into my place 2 and a half months ago. Got the sewerage, elec, gas, internet on all that's going good.

    Just today some guy from NHK came to my door asking me to sign a contract and pay 1,300 a month.

    I don't have a TV, nor do I want one. From the crappy Japanese I speak he seemed to claim that it was necessary for everyone to pay this.

    As I'm not prone to signing for things I don't want/need/unsure about, I told him I'd consult some people about it and to come back at a later date.

    My obvious question to y'all is... is this necessary? or is it like a TV License in the UK?

  • #2
    Not having a device capable of recieving their signal - means that it is not applicable for you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mrsquiddy View Post
      Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll throw it up here, it's related.

      So I moved into my place 2 and a half months ago. Got the sewerage, elec, gas, internet on all that's going good.

      Just today some guy from NHK came to my door asking me to sign a contract and pay 1,300 a month.

      I don't have a TV, nor do I want one. From the crappy Japanese I speak he seemed to claim that it was necessary for everyone to pay this.

      As I'm not prone to signing for things I don't want/need/unsure about, I told him I'd consult some people about it and to come back at a later date.

      My obvious question to y'all is... is this necessary? or is it like a TV License in the UK?

      You don't have to pay if you don't have a TV. Just say "Terebi ga arimasen".

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mrsquiddy View Post
        As I'm not prone to signing for things I don't want/need/unsure about, I told him I'd consult some people about it and to come back at a later date.

        My obvious question to y'all is... is this necessary? or is it like a TV License in the UK?
        NHK is the Japanese equivalent of the BBC.

        Its a public broadcaster paid for by television fees. By law all Japanese are supposed to pay but many dont. Tell him you dont own a TV set and be done with it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Awesome, thanks dudes!

          I did tell him I didn't have a TV, and (I believe) he tried to say that 'everyone pays it'.
          I thought it was a bit of crap and indeed like the UK's TV License.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mrsquiddy View Post
            Awesome, thanks dudes!

            I did tell him I didn't have a TV, and (I believe) he tried to say that 'everyone pays it'.
            I thought it was a bit of crap and indeed like the UK's TV License.
            The difference from the UK is that the UK authorities have teeth and people can and do get fined up to 1000 pounds for not paying. In Japan there doesn't seem to be any penalty for not paying.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
              The difference from the UK is that the UK authorities have teeth
              Perhaps, but they're bad teeth.

              Comment


              • #8
                Nowadays, the buggers have started to claim that people can see NHK on their laptops, that is if you say you don't have a TV.

                The craziest thing is that the fee for satellite broadcasts is almost twice as high as the normal ones. Don't know exactly how this works, but basically you can only get satellite broadcasts by buying a cable TV package, such as J-Com, which offers NHK BS. As I understand, NHK BS is a satellite broadcast, which means that if you pay extra for your TV channels, you should pay extra to NHK. Pay more to pay more...

                Comment


                • #9
                  http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...u-pay-NHK-dues

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Or do what I did... after several visits from the NHK man, whilst having my TV in full view. When he came back the last time, I answered the door fully naked, haven't heard of him since... no fooling, works like a charm.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you have a TV, but aren't using it to watch TV (etc. video games only) you don't have to pay. It's only if you have a tv and are using it to watch tv. So if they are trying to get you to pay because you have a laptop, tell them to screw themselves.

                      Or rather, tell them to screw themselves anyways - I've never paid a cent and don't intend to.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by liamoko View Post
                        When he came back the last time, I answered the door fully naked, haven't heard of him since... no fooling, works like a charm.
                        Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                        Or rather, tell them to screw themselves anyways.
                        Or you could go to the door naked and invite him in...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Trichophyton-in-my-pants View Post
                          Nowadays, the buggers have started to claim that people can see NHK on their laptops, that is if you say you don't have a TV.

                          The craziest thing is that the fee for satellite broadcasts is almost twice as high as the normal ones. Don't know exactly how this works, but basically you can only get satellite broadcasts by buying a cable TV package, such as J-Com, which offers NHK BS. As I understand, NHK BS is a satellite broadcast, which means that if you pay extra for your TV channels, you should pay extra to NHK. Pay more to pay more...
                          And don't forget that most people can pick up NHK on their cell phones or smart phones....

                          Begs the question, why doesn't NHK just block their signal from anyone but paying customers and save a bundle on the door-to-door @ssholes..?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I agree, or if they are going to make everyone pay, then they should just take it out of tax money.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Since1990 View Post
                              You don't have to pay if you don't have a TV. Just say "Terebi ga arimasen".

                              I've been using that line for years--even with the TV blaring in the background. Works like a charm.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X