X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiroshima Dawn

Some nice places in Hiroshima (at least, they were), until the local police has been raiding some foreign bars/clubs in a clean up operation (3 so far).

I only read about El Barco. What are the other two?

Comment

Hiroshima Dawn

Originally posted by Samanosuke
      I only read about El Barco. What are the other two?
      Actually 4 bars have been raided, but 2 of them belong to the same company. Bars raided so far:
      1. El Barco
      2. El Barco Tropical
      Both run by Nikkei Peruvians, both owners were arrested and had to spend 10 days in jail. Lawsuit still going on.
      3. Mac bar
      Bar very popular with local foreigners (even listed in Lonely Planet) owned by Japanese. Arrested, but could leave after signing a paper of agreement and putting tables on the dance floor.
      4. Maihime
      Hostess bar owned by Brazilians. Arrested, spent 1 month in jail. I don't know whether it still open, never went there.

Note: once arrested. according to Japanese law you are not allowed to own/conduct business for 3 years. So virtually it means you just have to shut it down or change the name and leave the business to someone else, while you manage everything from the background.
      Last edited by Saijonian; 2006-06-21, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saijonian
        Note: once arrested. according to Japanese law you are not allowed to own/conduct business for 3 years. So virtually it means you just have to shut it down or change the name and leave the business to someone else, while you manage everything from the background.
        No WAY! Is that true? What happens if you're arrested and then found to be innocent? You still can't operate a business? THat's HUGELY unfair and discriminatory.

Sheeeesh...

Comment

amazing! Did you read the interview with the el barco owner on gethiroshima.com? Totally amazing.
          And with the new bike laws the police sure are busy "protecting" the people I guess.

Comment

Who cares ! The best place to visit in Hiroshima is Kure which is home to the famous Yamato Museum.

Comment

yeah? plan on going next weekend actually, i've wanted to for awhile. I want to go to yattai!

Comment

Originally posted by mcalpine
                Who cares ! The best place to visit in Hiroshima is Kure which is home to the famous Yamato Museum.
                Aah, Yamato, never served a useful purpose in WW2. Was sent out to battle several times, never made it on time and finally was sunk off Kagoshima (on a suicide mission to Okinawa)!!! Never understood all the fuzz about the Yamato. I guess the Japanese never understood its role in WW2.
                If you wanna see something thrilling, go to Sasebo (Hariobashi peninsula near Huis Ten Bosch) in Nagasaki prefecture where you can find 3 huge poles that used to form the biggist antenna at the time, used to send the signal for the attack on Pearl Harbor. Better be quick, because as far as I know, there are plans to demolish these poles.
                Last edited by Saijonian; 2006-06-21, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Aah, Yamato, never served a useful purpose in WW2. Was sent out to battle several times, never made it on time and finally was sunk off Kagoshima (on a suicide mission to Okinawa)!!! Never understood all the fuzz about the Yamato. I guess the Japanese never understood its roll in WW2.
                  Its a pity, it was a beautiful ship Aircraft carriers were the real power in WWII, the ability to destroy ships "over the horizon" really killed off battleships as the kings of the oceans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok
                    Its a pity, it was a beautiful ship Aircraft carriers were the real power in WWII, the ability to destroy ships "over the horizon" really killed off battleships as the kings of the oceans.
                    I met a Kamikaze pilot who did his duty on the Hiryuu aircraft carrier once when I was living in Nagasaki. That was thrilling. He was shot down when in battle over the Pacific (I don't remember which one), then saved by the US Navy and now working on the US Naval base in Sasebo (Nagasaki). How strange life sometimes can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegrove
                      yeah? plan on going next weekend actually, i've wanted to for awhile. I want to go to yattai!
                      Sorry, no Yatai here (unless there is a festival like Toukasan, which you just missed). For Yatai you have to go to Fukuoka. If you do come to Hiroshima, visit Cusco Cafe and I will give you a free beer (ask for Harry)!!! Here is a map:http://barco.ftw.jp/u4782.html
                      or ask a Eat&Drink Tourist map at Hiroshima station.

Comment

Sorry, no Yatai here (unless there is a festival like Toukasan, which you just missed). For Yatai you have to go to Fukuoka. If you do come to Hiroshima, visit Cusco Cafe and I will give you a free beer (ask for Harry)!!! Here is a map:http://barco.ftw.jp/u4782.html
                        or ask a Eat&Drink Tourist map at Hiroshima station.
                        hey i live 1 block from Cusco cafe. Literally. Do i still get the free beer?
                        I was talking about wanting to go to kure for yattai.

p.s. I definately didn't miss toukasan!

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegrove
                          hey i live 1 block from Cusco cafe. Literally. Do i still get the free beer?
                          I was talking about wanting to go to kure for yattai.

p.s. I definately didn't miss toukasan!
                          Yeah, sure come around. Drink 2 beers and I get you 1 for free.

Comment

Originally posted by mcalpine
                            After reading your post, I paid a visit to the Yamato museam in Kure. It was worth while, and even my son of 2 had a great time.

Comment

Aah, Yamato, never served a useful purpose in WW2. Was sent out to battle several times, never made it on time and finally was sunk off Kagoshima (on a suicide mission to Okinawa)!!! Never understood all the fuzz about the Yamato. I guess the Japanese never understood its role in WW2.
                              If you wanna see something thrilling, go to Sasebo (Hariobashi peninsula near Huis Ten Bosch) in Nagasaki prefecture where you can find 3 huge poles that used to form the biggist antenna at the time, used to send the signal for the attack on Pearl Harbor. Better be quick, because as far as I know, there are plans to demolish these poles.
                              ??? Do you even know what you are talking about ?

The Yamato was and would be, if she were still here, the largest battleship in history ! And that it took 800 U.S./allied war planes to sink her !! with no air support whatsoever...

After visiting Kure museum I wanted to go down with her myself. Who cares about your dumb antenna's !

Comment

Working...
                              X