Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I get a gaijin card in Tokyo?

Does anyone out there know where I get a gaijin card in Tokyo?
    i.e. addresses and how to get there - I assume to a municipal govt office eh?
    ALSO what documents I will need in order to get a gaijin card?
    yoroshiku!
    Hutch

Re: Where do I get a gaijin card in Tokyo?

You need a proper permission to reside in Japan, aka VISA.
    Application form from Ward Office, passport photos, and go to the Ward Office.

Comment

Hutch:
      I have nothing to add since TH has answered your query but since you are in Vancouver (your other post), you may not know that the official name of "gaijin card" is actually alien registration certificate - just for your info.

Good luck to you in your endeavors.
      R.

Comment

Hutch,
        Question arises ? Since you are ovbiously not in Japan why do you need a "Gaijin Card"?

Comment

I need a gaijin card because I am moving back to Japan in one month.
          Just not lived in Tokyo before so I need to figure out where the ward offices are that I can get the gaijin card. Also the turn around time to get one.
          Cheers
          Hutch

Comment

Richard
            Thanks - I do know the name is alien registration card AKA gaikokujin tooroku shoomeishoo
            Any idea where I can find a listing of the ward offices where I can get the card?
            FYI I also will be on a working visa
            Cheers
            Hutch

Comment

Hutch:
              No problem. From your original post, I didn't know whether you knew. The first consideration is where you will be living in Tokyo. So for example, if you eventually reside in Shibuya-ku then you will need to register at that ward office. There is usually a two week grace period to make the application from date of entry into Japan. It's really quite easy; both English and Japanese phone books will have the address or you can check with information etc.

Hope this helps; good luck.
              R.

Comment

Hutch, You will need your passport with a permisison to reside in Japan stamp of greater than 90 days, and two recent photographs of yourself (3.5 cm by 4.5 cm). Just go to your local city/town/ward government office and register there. You're not able to pick and choose the office.

It will take about two weeks for the card to be issued, but you can also get a paper confirming your registration for approximately 100 or 200 yen per copy if necessary. And contrary to Richard's statement above, you must register within 90 days, not two weeks. You won't be able to get a bank account without registering, though, so most people do so within the first couple days.

If you already have an apartment lined up, or know what location you plan to live, please tell us.
                Cheers

Comment

Thanks Hiyodori for the heads up on the 90 days. I had 2 weeks in my head and that was a long time ago when that requirement was in force.
                  Have a nice day.
                  R.

Comment

No yet sure where we will be living. I will be working in Suidoobashi near Korakuen (Tokyo dome) and we plan to live within a one hour commute. Likely to the north or east to Chiba.
                    We have had a friend list all the (relatively) cheap places residental areas on the major lines running out 1 hr form Suidobashi. We plan to stay in a guest house for the month of July while we nail down a place. Most of the places we have a seen online have been alright with some great descriptions, photos, floor plan maps etc...and many without key money or agency fees.

Looking forward to getting back there. I spent 4 years in Iwate 98-2002, first as an ALT then private CIR.

How about you guys?

Comment

Working...
                    X