Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• items id like to bring...

Hello,
    Im about to live in Tokyo and work for nova. Im wondering if im able to bring coffe, tea and aerosol deodorant on the plane and then through customs?
    Also, my partner is a chef and is wanting to bring chefs knives, will this be ok?
    Thank you!

Re: items id like to bring...

check with the airline about the aerosol cans (I would guess it wouldn't be permitted), but you should be ok with the other stuff. I have brought fairly large supplies of coffee and tea numerous times and have never been questioned about it. Knives, of course, would need to be in your checked luggage. Make sure you do bring a lot of deodorant, though. The stuff sold here is very expensive and is not effective at all, imo.

Comment

Bringing knives on a plane? Have you even HEARD of the 9/11 incident?

Comment

In the luggage hold, notcarry-on should be ok.

Comment

Yes, I have HEARD of 9/11 and YES, you can bring knives on a plane. Just last summer, I brought a set of steak knives and a few long blade knives for use in the kitchen. The world did not completely stop because of 9/11, it only seems like that sometimes.

Comment

harvey:
            Good point about the deodorant! With the possible exception of Ban (roll on for men sold at some drugstores), the other stuff, in a word, sucks. So bivegan, if you have a favorite, then bring some to last you awhile and then when it runs out, you could ask friends to bring you some if and when they should take a trip home and then return to Japan.
            Good luck.
            R.

Comment

Shouldn't have to bring the coffee... I find the quality of coffee served in Japan pretty good, esp. when compared to the crude oil they sometimes serve up at restaurants here in the States. It is a little bit more expensive though. Fresh beans especially.

Comment

bring a samurai sword. you won't fit in in Japan without a samurai sword. and nunchucks!

Comment

Re the coffee discussion, whole bean coffee is what I bring, mostly due to the price difference and the somewhat limited selection here. I have found very few flavored coffees, for example. Things are getting better in this regard, especially over the past couple of years.

Comment

I was enquiring about 'checked luggage'. Have you ever met a chef before or known anything about working in a kitchen? Do you eat sushi? All of the above require chef knives, and all professional chefs take their own knives to each job they work in.
                    But thank you for your depreciating comment (though I was seeking advice) yes, I have heard of 9/11

Comment

Whoops,
                      Sorry to everyone who responded with some great advice, I hadn't read all the way to the bottom. I appreciate the discussion, the above reponse was to the second msg...
                      Harvey, how hard is it to get a job in a kitchen? My partner is fully qualified and worked in the restaurant voted as best in Sydney, will it be difficult for him to find work? He's used to working 70 hrs plus a week!
                      Thank you

Comment

Sorry, bivegan, don't know much about getting a job in the restaurant business. Perhaps someone else who frequents this board does.

Comment

Working...
                        X