Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

It was my b-day and all I got was a lameoid ticket to japan.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was my b-day and all I got was a lameoid ticket to japan.

:] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :] :]
    Last edited by Jenny The Jelly; 2005-11-08, 02:21 AM.

Re: It was my b-day and all I got was a lameoid ticket to ja

"Do I stand a chane of making a decent trip out of this? I could of course go over for a short holliday and just get a feel for the place and go back when I have more education, money and a few more years... but since this is a rare oppertunity to get out and do something I kinda want to make the best out of it"

No, you dont really have a chance. Unless you want to work a night club illegally. Come, travel around a bit, enjoy, go back to school, come back after. You may like it, you may hate it.

And stop using "lamoid"...

Comment

According to the working holiday requirements, you need to prove that you have the equivalent of US$2000. At today's exchange rate, you seem to have that, if I read things right (the character before your money figure is garbled, so I assumed it was British pounds). If it's Aussie dollars, you are out of luck. You didn't say where you were from.

Forget working in a bar. Age isn't the only thing against you. People with working holiday visas are forbidden from working in such establishments.

If you want to teach English, you're going to face very stiff competition. Most people here are older than you, too, including students. This is not to say that you cannot find work, but it will be very tough going.

Comment

alot of whats said is true but WorkHoliVisas **DO** allow working in bars just not strip bars, brothels, hostess bars etc. and due to japans great love of alcohol ***U CAN WORK IN BARS FROM THE AGE OF 16*** - although u cannot legally buy/drink alcohol til 20. SO ***u can work*** in any of the three bizillion places that sell beer in Tokyo!!!! what a buzz - ripping it up at 18 in Tokyo!!!! And whats really on is there are probably tons of places that would hire a gaijin (foreigner) chick as a novelty/drawcard so thats in ur favour too!!

teaching would be very difficult cos age is really stressed here in terms of ability/responsibility/authority etc (skill is secondary) - i still dont get it alot of job adds specify an age - which would be illegal in many western countries.

That said, u have the right attitude, so get over here and rough it while u get a job, maybe washing dishes in a restaurant, pouring beers etc. Thats a great way to learn japanese and meet people - working in an english school is a great way to meet other westerners!! boring.

just get some spare cash and cruze round checking out the sites - ull have a ball mate!

AND DEFINITELY, ANY JAPANESE WILL HELP, THE MORE THE BETTER!!!

Post Edited (07-09-04 18:07)

Comment

"I don't see why I would have to work in a night club if its illegal but I will trust your judgement one that one,"
          It's not MY judgment. It is a regulation for your visa.

Yes, you can only get the WHV once in your life, so use it wisely. You really can't use the tourist visa for a year. Limit is 90 days.

Comment

It is possible for UK citizens to extend a visa waiver for another 90 days without leaving Japan. You have to go to an immigration office to apply, and provide sufficient reason (eg. travel plan to see parts of Japan you haven't yet visited). You also have to apply for an alien registration card, but do not need to leave the country. Useful if you want an extended holiday.

At 18, you've still got a lot of time to come on working holiday visa. Enjoy your trip now, and check out what types of jobs and living conditions you'll likely be able to find when you do decide to use the WHV.
            Cheers

Comment

thanks guys I will look into it

Comment

Working...
              X