Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I wish I had brought to Japan

Hello everyone,
    My girlfriend and I just were accepted by NOVA to work in the Osaka office. We were wondering what types of things people who have been to Japan for prolonged periods of time wish they had brought with them, and what types of things you may have brought with you but wished you had not (I assume the contact lenses and prescriptions are things I will want to bring but as far as toiletries and kitchen supplies, electronics, clothing, entertainment, etcetera).
    Doomo Arigato

Re: Things I wish I had brought to Japan

I like shaving gel (not foam) but they don't sell it in the stores here...also, your preferred deodorant cuz they don't sell much of that. They have most other toiletries. Don't buy new clothes to bring here, cuz they have plenty of cheap suits, shirts and pants (except the nice thick cotton socks...which they don't have much of, and if they do, are expensive). If you are a big guy, you might think about bringing some american condoms (the Japanese ones are smaller and less comfortable).

Comment

I have found Gilette and Schick shaving gel in most medium/big pharmacies....also the full range of Mach3/Sensor Excel etc razors.

Comment

Those are very good things to know, Thank you! My girlfriend wants to know if they have KY readily available? Also, what are the prices like on Australian and Californian wines as well as Scotch, Wiskey, Rum, etcetera? Thanks again!

Comment

*i second the deodorant.
          *big huge bottles of advil and tylenol. i only brought a small bottle of tylenol and no advil. i hurt my knee my first week here (tripped up the stairs...i'm a klutz) and went to the pharmacy for something like advil that would bring the swelling down. the stuff that they gave me wasn't as good as advil would have been and doesn't work on my headaches.
          *over the counter yeast infection medicine. i know it's kinda tmi to talk about, but it's really humid here which can cause your girl to get them even if she's never had one before. they don't sell the otc cures here, just the anti-itching cream. you have to go to a doctor if you actually want to cure it.
          *toothpaste. the stuff here doesn't have flouride.
          *basically just a pretty well stocked medicine cabinet. the pharmacy staff here are generally knowledgable and will try to help you in english, but the last thing you want to do on a limited budget is spend $8-10 on a medicine only to find out that it doesn't work. i've heard that japanese medicines can be weaker than what you'd get back home.

additionally, i had some stuff that i wanted, but thought i could live without for awhile shipped to me from the us. only one of those boxes has made it here in the 4-6 week guideline that the usps told us it would be here by. fortunately, that one box was the one that had my birth control pills in it and it literally arrived on the absolute last day that it could before my cycle would have gotten screwed up. in another box were my extra planner pages and i had do to without my planner for 2 whole months (i'm addicted to franklin covey). so keep this in mind if you're planning on shipping things.

Comment

Yes, KY is readily available.....well, at least in the adult/lingerie shops. About Y2500 for a decent size tube. They have plenty of other water based lubes as well......in the the normal pharmacy they sell "luve jelly" which is cheap, I believe water based and half decent. Look for Pepee...they have various oils and what not......

Depending on where you are from (US for me) hard alcohol prices are absurdly cheap. Whiskey, Vodka, Gin etc......about 40% less than what I can buy it for back in the states. Of course different states have different taxes......I think 500ml (or was it 750) of Bombay for Y1500, back in the states $28.

Wines? Hmm.....reasonable prices, again cheaper than US, but it depends of the bottle.

Post Edited (07-13-04 12:49)

Comment

More Osaka info.....

Look for a store called Yamaya in OCAT (NOVA head multimedia is in the same building) on the 3rd or 4th floor. Great prices on alcohol, snacks, import cheese, spices etc.....much cheaper than other import stores although the selection isnt the greatest.

On Midosuji street (you will know when you get here, its the main street running through Namba/Shinaibashi up to Umeda) look for the Dolce&Gabbana store near doutonbouri river. Under the DG store is a place called Spicy Market (its 24hrs) that is expensive but has an excellent selection of euro/US/import foods. Everything from Kettle chips to cake mix. They have an aisle of pretty hard to find spices(good olive oil too), so check that place out. Keep in mind that Yamaya sells some of the same stuff for 30% less.....

Also.....yes on prescriptions. Contact lens solution is sold everywhere here. Same brands as back home, Renu/Complete/etc. Just bring a 6 month supply of contacts.....In the past I have ordered contacts from an online US store and the shipping is only $8 to Japan and it arrives in less than a week. No doctors letter/form etc. is needed when ordering outside the US.

Post Edited (07-13-04 13:07)

Comment

Look back in the old posts - this same question was asked and I replied to it (only to find out the original post was long before); that said, it has good info. (like above)

Comment

Some folks will disagree, but I`d say bring your towels. It`s difficult to find top quality cotton towels here. 100% down pillows: Bring!!! The pillows here are hard-ass nonsense. They have great duvets, though.

For your girl, tell her to bring tampons. The ones here are hard and not so absorbent. No ob brand, as far as I`ve been able to find. If she uses pads, the ones here are better.

FOOD: bring chipotle chiles, Cheezits, basmati rice and Spike. Expensive or impossible to find here. Unless you have a buddy on base.

The most important stuff is getting your `ex-life` sorted back home... the person with your power of attorney should be a solid type, and hopefully your finances are simple!

(Oh, and the toothpaste here HAS flouride!! NO IDEA why the myth of non-flouridation continues... )

Comment

Thank you all for this wonderful bounty of information and advice. You all are GREAT! Doomo Arigatoo

Comment

Yeah booze ___s food clothing and even rent are so cheap in Japan compared to the UK. All holiday programmes and news reports always made it out that it was the most expensive place on earth, complete nonsense (apart from the odd DVD for no particular reason).

I can't think of anything I need apart from Mentadent P, my favorite toothpaste, but thatfs a pain in the arse to get in the UK anyway.

Oh I know, cheese, there is no descent cheese in Japan, mind you that wouldn't keep for long would it.

Comment

I have a serious cheese fetish. The stinkier, the better. This is one thing I am afraid I will have to do without while in Japan. Will anyone make me happy by telling me that it is infact possible to get good cheese in Tokyo?

Comment

Tell your girlfriend to bring a lot of foundation/compacts in her skin colour. The rest of the make-up is OK but unless she is asian the foundation will not suit her skin colour.

They have the bodyshop but it is about three times the price of back home in England.

Stain remover too, esp one that works on soy sauce. Japanese laundry detergent doesnt do the job properly.

Comment

you can find cheese, but it's fairly expensive. i see it in most of the department store grocery stores. i only go for the cheddar and it costs around 400 yen for a very very small chunk.

Comment

Tony,

Just come here in summer and neglect to wash between your toes and behind your ears for a few days. You will soon have more cheese than any one person could want. And sthe stinky stuff, too. YUM.

So, to summarise, we need sex aids, shampoo, toothpaste, shaving gel, and headache medicine.

Sounds to me like we are a bunch of incredibly well groomed sex crazed hypochondriacs.

Comment

Working...
                              X