X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long or Short Hair?

Hey, this may be a stupid question but it is something that I have been thinking about. I am moving to Japan for six months in September. I already know that being a 6 foot tall red haired Canadian man is going to make me stand out enough, but I have long red hair. I guess my question is: which should I go with? Long or short hair? Is there any cultural conceptions based on hair length? Thank you.

Re: Long or Short Hair?

On a whole I have found concervative styles go over better. If you are moving to Japan for 6 months what are you going to be doing? I assume you have a working holiday visa if you are from Canada. If you are going to be teaching then I might suggest shorer hair to be safe. It will make you appear more professional. If you are coming over to travel and enjoy yourself then you wont have to worry.

Comment

I am coming over to go to school and to teach conversational english it is an exchange through my school. The information you provided was most helpful, thank you. I just wanted to get an idea of how it would be perceived. Cheers.

Comment

Exactly, HOW long is it? I think it`s often a plus to not have a short-back-and-sides cut like just about every foreign male I see here. If you follow the young Japanese trends somewhat, it makes you appear unique from other foreigners and possibly more attractive to employers (that theorem works a lot better with smaller schools, I`d say). I went to the salon with a picture of actor Hiroshi Tamaki`s head and said `this please!`. Even though that style is not really conservative by expectations of gaijin here, I`ve had absolutely no problems. Having said that though, there are boundaries, and below shoulder length is probably too much. Cut your hair, but you still don`t have to look like a nerd!

James

Comment

If your job is already secure, you probably don't need to worry about it, but if you will be looking for work, conservative is generally the safest bet.

BTW, being Canadian doesn't make you stand out. That is reserved for the American backpackers with Maple Leafs on their packs

Comment

Now that you metion it my hair is a little longer than shoulder length, my job is secured when I get over there for the time being. It's been short all my life, it's a bit of a change. If I did cut it wouldn't be completely shaved, still long enough to do stuff with. I have read a couple of forums saying that Japanese water has not done any great service to their hair or skin, how bad is it? Thank you for all the information, this forum is most helpful! Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X