X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Okinawa

I'm going to move to Okinawa in the beginning of October. Can anyone give me a contact, website, whatever to a realty agent so I could inquire about an apartment?

Also, I've heard that it's cheaper to live in Okinawa than mainland... Is it true? Doesn't seem likely since Hawaii, for example, is a lot more expensive than CONUS.

Any info on is appreciated.

Originally posted by CrimsonLey
    I'm going to move to Okinawa in the beginning of October. Can anyone give me a contact, website, whatever to a realty agent so I could inquire about an apartment?

Also, I've heard that it's cheaper to live in Okinawa than mainland... Is it true? Doesn't seem likely since Hawaii, for example, is a lot more expensive than CONUS.

Any info on is appreciated.
    It depends where you are, but no, Okinawa doesn't work out much cheaper unless you have a support network there.

As for real estate, try:

www.homes.co.jp

PS where is CONUS?

Is that what they call Europe now?

I think I liked the old EU name better.

CONUS......... sounds like an American religion.

Comment

Originally posted by ..
      PS where is CONUS?

Is that what they call Europe now?

I think I liked the old EU name better.

I'll venture a guess the OP means "Continental United States"- (psst, Hawaii was my clue).

CONUS, I'm imagining insurance company or financial planning......

Comment

Originally posted by ..
        www.homes.co.jp

PS where is CONUS?

it's the old new name for the cone

Comment

Originally posted by exoplanet
          it's the old new name for the cone

stop stealing our scintilating expat content....

its wasted on the riffraff here..
          they prolly have NO IDEA what to do with a cone.

Comment

Originally posted by eku-bong
            stop stealing our scintilating expat content....

its wasted on the riffraff here..
            they prolly have NO IDEA what to do with a cone.
            yadayadayada

i knew you'd come back to claim it

Comment

Originally posted by exoplanet
              yadayadayada

i knew you'd come back to claim it
              yeah.. sniff... i really hope santa brings me one...

Comment

i hope he does
                hail happy eku!

Comment

That went horribly off-topic.

So I take it that Okinawa is more expensive than mainlandc correct? Ifm applying for an entry-level U.S. federal position in Japan, whether in Okinawa or mainland. My concern is the cost of living. If itfs cheaper to live around a base on mainland then thatfs what Ifll do. Any insight/suggestions?

Comment

That went horribly off-topic.

So I take it that Okinawa is more expensive than mainlandc correct? Ifm applying for an entry-level U.S. federal position in Japan, whether in Okinawa or mainland. My concern is the cost of living. If itfs cheaper to live around a base on mainland then thatfs what Ifll do. Any insight/suggestions?
                    The best ones always do go off topic.

So, anyways, Okinawa is way nicer than the mainland.

It depends what you are into. Where are you from at home, and what sort of thing do you want to do?

Also, is the pay that bad? I don't think the difference in cost of living is that much of a big deal. Food is more expensive, certainly, but rent isn't that much more, if at all, although there is a shortage of rental stock in some parts. BTW, Okinawa is an archipelago and a prefecture, not just one place. Is it the main island where this position would be located?

Does your position not supply accommodation, etc, and can you shop on base?

If so, the difference in cost of living can be offset by your access to cheap stuff on base, and you won't be in an urban ____thole, you'll be on a nice semi-tropical island with A&W (chilled Root Beer!!), and nice beaches.

Comment

I was stationed there for about a month and half before going to the middle east.

I like Okinawa but I won't be attached to the military anymore and I'm paranoid about the cost of living. Let me ask something more specific...

Is it possible to find a place for around \50000 a month?

Comment

I lived in Onna-son for 3 months back in '99 and the rent was a little pricey as it was near the resort hotels. Nago was close by and thats where I did my shopping etc as I'm not from the US and have no affiliation with the bases (not that I want to anyway) Previous poster mentioned it depends on where you are around Okinawa and this is true, I can only tell you about where I stayed - if you're out in the sticks you will need a car, its the only way to get around (buses run but its a little inconvenient )

Comment

I was stationed there for about a month and half before going to the middle east.

I like Okinawa but I won't be attached to the military anymore and I'm paranoid about the cost of living.
                          Gotcha.

Let me ask something more specific...

Is it possible to find a place for around \50000 a month?

WHERE IN OKINAWA????????????????????

Okinawa is not only a town.

Comment

Oki

Ok ok, you win. I would like live in the southern portion of the Island nearer to Camp Foster which 15-30 minutes north of Naha. Price is important to me so I'm curious to know whether or not I can get a place for around $500 a month anywhere on the island.

Comment

Ok ok, you win. .
                              Yes, but it was a draining victory. The Battle for Okianwa Revisited..............

I would like live in the southern portion of the Island nearer to Camp Foster which 15-30 minutes north of Naha. Price is important to me so I'm curious to know whether or not I can get a place for around $500 a month anywhere on the island.
                              I go look now.

The address is www.homes.co.jp, but I think it is only in Japanese.

You wait...........................

At the above website, an apartment search for apartments in Naha City, Nago city, and Okinawa city got 59 properties ranging from 30,000 yen to 50,000 yen per month.

Area was anywhere from 16 sq. m to 35 sq.m.

I don't know how you would find a similar English website, but given that base support is a major indistry in that area, a Google should turn up something.

Good luck.
                              Last edited by ..; 2007-08-08, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X