X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• packing with hindsight

okay.... I've got the paperwork, the backpack and i'm wondering how serious the airlines really are about that '20kg limit' and if i can stand the thought of my teddy not earning a place over some thermals.....

it's a chilly 29 degrees here on the sunshine coast in australia (surf was ok too) and i know that i'm going to have to adjust to eskimo conditions on arrival on feb 15th... but i also know that it won't be too long before it warms up (i've got a return flight home in may so i can grab the warm weather stuff then...)

I need to cover the essentials so i survive hypothermia, yet also want to have a neat and tidy appearance for work at a language school..... any ideas on what not to bother bringing and what the essentials are...

already aware that girls size 9 1/2 shoes are a rare breed.......

any tips would be great

RE: packing with hindsight

How exciting, a fellow aussie. It really depends on where youll be as to what to bring. Im a size 12 and I cant find a thing thatll fit me from the waist down so bring heaps of pants and jeans if youre not super tiny... The jacket and jumper situation here is fine tho. as far as the 20 kg thing goes, I flew Garuda with a 20 kg limit but my suitcase was 30 kg and hand luggage felt like 15 when we left so Its pretty cool, as long as the flight isnt full. Bring ted he/she will love it!

Youll have such a fab time here and if you like shopping, this is the place!

Safe travels,

Clair

Comment

hi there, sounds like you have it all sorted I agree pack teddy! I would like to know if u can help me though? I am wanting to travel to Jpana and teach English. I am from NZ so how did You get a job? What help can u give me about where to look for work? Please I am really looking for some way of finding work and would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks so much.

Annie

Comment

I found a site online that lists jobs for teaching English in Japan. It's called O-Hayo Sensei. There's also a site called JET, and one called Gaijan Pot. You may want to do an online search for these sites and judge for yourself which one is best. The first one lists a LOT of jobs, but you'll want to ask quesions: whats the work week, work hours, is accommodation supplied/subsidized? Do they offer training or expect you to be on the ball? I have never worked in Japan but I'm starting to do my homework as I wish to go this summer.

Comment

Hey there

I went to Japan in Xmas and was in Tokyo for some and then snowboarding in Hokkaido too - I come from Byron Bay where it is always sunny and hot - and I must admit - there were some times I thought the cold would kill me - but in honesty, it was not as bad as you think it will be. And I feel the cold alot!

Word is from my friends in Japan now that they are having an unseasonally warm spring so I think us warm blooded Aussies will do just fine!

Comment

Re: packing with hindsight

I wear women's size 9 1/2 shoe also, but wide to extra-wide, sometimes 10 wide, so I don't think I could expect to find women's shoes for me in Japan, ever. But I've pretty much given up on finding women's shoes even in the US and generally wear men's 9, sometimes 8 1/2. Is that a normal size in Japan? most of my clothes are men's too (since the women's clothes usually don't fit me either, I must be shaped weird), so is it easy to find 32X30 pants there and men's small shirts (T-shirts and the like)?

Comment

Oh, my God! Clair H mention that there aren't many clothes in Japan larger than a size 12. Question: Is that an English size 12 or an american size 12? I am relocating in Tokyo next week for 9 months and I haven't packed many clothes believing I could do some shopping in Tokyo. Please someone clarify this.

Comment

That would be ANY size 12...even Gap doesn't do a size 12 (american) anymore. Sometimes you can find slightly bigger sizes at Eddie Bauer and LL Bean (in Kichijoji), though LL Bean usually only carries M size, which is about US size 10 (english size 12? I think). Most department stores have a big size section, carrying up to about japanese size 15, sometimes bigger. I go to Uniqlo and shop in the mens section for basics. If you need something girly and nice, I would bring it from home, or shop online. Especially tights/stockings if you are over about 5"5' . If your feet are bigger than 24.5 cm (size 8) you need to bring your own shoes or put up with what's on offer at the big size shops. There is a store called Tulsa Time (again, in Kichijoji, but they have other stores in Tokyo but I'm not sure where) that carries a fairly funky range of (expensive) womens boots and shoes, up to 27.5 cms. They also carry wide sizes, up to ww if I remember rightly.

Comment

Theres also Zara in Shibuya and Omotesando, and they have both shoes and clothes in larger sizes, but up to a 12 there too... Same with Oasis in Ginza/Ebisu
                  In a lot of the department stores there are Size Shops, eg. Isetan, also Milord in Shinjuku, the chain store Suzutan often has L sizes i can get into with out trouble (im an Oz 12/US 8-10) and they are pretty cheap, but summer clothes are a bit lacking....
                  Have a look around your local Depato, there are a few decent sized japanese women out there, they gotta be getting it from somewhere!

Comment

what about in osaka? (for bigger sizes - i'm thinking like 10 australian/12 nz clothes)

Comment

Working...
                    X