X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start a new life in JAPAN ?

Hello. I am French speaking, 33 years old, teacher of mathematics. I speak also Italian and English but I cannot speak JAPANESE. I plan to move and start a new life in JAPAN. 1. Do you know a Web site providing useful information for people expatriated in JAPAN? Do you have any advice to start a new life in JAPAN? 2. What work can a French speaking person do in JAPAN (hotels, restaurants, ...)? 3. Do you know a volunteer organisation in JAPAN providing opportunities (and lodging) for foreigners? 4. Which JAPANESE city is more interesting for French speaking people? 5. Do you know a social organisation (Web site) helping foreigners in JAPAN? 6. Do you know a popular (English) Web sites to meet JAPANESE people? I mean Web sites providing message boards (BBS), classified personal ads, pen pals service. 7. What are the most popular JAPANESE portal Web sites in English? Please forward this e-mail to some friends in JAPAN! Thanks in advance. Dave BUDDAX - buddax@email.com

Re: Start a new life in JAPAN ?

Whoa dude, that's a lot of info. There are plenty of sites. French I am not sure about, but I am sure there are French expatriates all over Japan. The bigger the city, the more concentration you will find, of course.

For pen pal services to meet Japanese people, type JAPANESE PEN PALS into your favorite search engine. I found at least 3 sites last year.

Check the Tokyo Classifieds online for rooms for rent.

For jobs and resource URLs (and the TC URL), go to http://sites.netscape.net/MopedRonin/ and check my Careers in Japan section.

Good luck!!!!!

Comment

yeah........ i agree... a lot of info that you can find on the net.....
      also try tokyonoticeboard.co.jp

all good info for foreigners.......

AW

Comment

There are plenty of jobs available for French speakiers here in Japan. As a teacher, or as a translator English/French/Italian. When you arrive, you should get hold of a copy of Metropolis Magazine(old name is Tokyo Classified). It is free and is available in bars and shops around Tokyo. It is also online via Japantoday.com (this is a news site run by the same company).It si full of classified ads and this will give you an idea of services available for foreigners. The Japan Times newspaper is an English language newspaper and it has a large job section on Mondays. This will include jobs for French speakers.

When you arrive in Japan I suggest that you go to your local 'ward office' (shiyakushou) and they have a department that can give information in English about local services for foreigners (eg medical, emergency, Japanese study, etc).

As you are a French speaker, I'd recommend in or around Tokyo as it will be the easiest place to get a teaching job. There are a lot of international schools around this area as well as international companies.

I suggest that you try to contact NOVA. This is a large chain of schools here in Japan. They offer French lessons, I believe. They also provide housing and visa sponsorship. They are not the best deal going over here but once you are settled, you can move to a different school or company if you wish. A lot of people start out with NOVA when they come to Japan. They have offices all over the world (including London) and are always hiring because they are a very big company.

I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X