X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Quarantine

I'm moving to Japan and flying into Narita airport in December. I'll be bringing my cat with me, but I'm very concerned about leaving her for 2 weeks in quarantine. Does anyone know of a way to avoid this? Or if not, is there a way that she can be taken care of privately and not put in a kennel?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

RE: Animal Quarantine

Are you sure cats are quarantined? I've heard it is true for dogs, but I thought cats weren't subjected to the same quarantine policy. Again, I'm not sure about this, but I think if you go to the vet and get documents proving you cat's health and shot history you should be able to get by without a quarantine.

I'd recommend contacting your nearest consulate or embassy and finding out the complete story. It'd be great if you could let us all know what the answer is by reposting to this topic once you find out.

Comment

RE: Animal Quarantine

Sorry Man.... My friend left his Cat for 1month.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
        I'm moving to Japan and flying into Narita airport in December. I'll be bringing my cat with me, but I'm very concerned about leaving her for 2 weeks in quarantine. Does anyone know of a way to avoid this? Or if not, is there a way that she can be taken care of privately and not put in a kennel?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Get all the vet papers in order and get the chip put in the cat's neck--the animal will sail through immigration in 5 minutes.

Comment

All the info you need:

http://www.maff-aqs.go.jp/english/index.htm

Comment

My friend's dog was only in quarantine for 18hours.

Comment

Our cat was in "quarantine" for about 30 minutes. Basically, we sat there while the quarantine officers looked over her paperwork. They took her out of her carrier and scanned her microchip, and that was it.

It was a breeze. However, the whole process took eight months. She was living with family overseas, and we started the procedure outlined on the website listed above eight months before she was allowed to enter Japan.

It's quite bureaucratic, and requires time, planning, and a lot of vet fees. However, it was pretty painless for Kitty-chan.

Comment

Laquer, where was your cat coming from? Paperwork and procedures only took about 45 days for us the last time (from Canada) and it looks to be the same this time (from the UK).

Comment

Madeira:

Coming from the UK should be no problem, as it is a rabies-free country.

Our cat was coming from Korea. My husband is Korean.

In Korea, we had her microchipped, then the first vaccination was given.

We had to wait 30 days and then have another vaccination given.

After that, we waited six months and they did some kind of blood test (antibodies? blood serum? something like that) which was conducted by a laboratory in the United States, if I'm not mistaken. I know her papers said "blah, blah, blah Kansas", but I'm not sure about that process. The vets handled most of it, and my husband handled the rest. The blood test results took two weeks.

Once we had the results, we faxed the application to quarantine at Narita. However, I believe we had to give them 40 days notice. Say, around another month, anyway. THEN we could book the flight. We flew to Korea and carried her on the plane back. In the cabin. On United. They were WONDERFUL, by the way. All the Korean and Japanese airlines had been useless about providing any information about flying with pets.

The only reason I can think it would be only 45 days from Canada is if the animal had already been microchipped and then vaccinated twice (in that order). That would shave seven months off the entire process.

Comment

Just read through the AQS stuff again, and yes, it takes a long time to prepare critters from Canada these days. We came in 6 or 7 years ago, the first time, and it was easier. (Although we did have a 14 day quarantine). That's gone, good!

I'm guessing the blood tests were for rabies antibodies. We needed them for the UK.

JAL brought the cat to England, hopefully we can fly another airline back to Japan. They weren't bad, but they wouldn't let us book the cat ourselves. We had to use a shipping agent, and they charged 100,000 yen for.. something. Photocopying?

One thing that's bugging me.. the potential 12 hour quarantine. OK, maybe it will only end up being 30 minutes, but how did you plan your next move? I'll stay at a Narita hotel if the cat won't be released until the next day, but I can't book one, as I have no idea if I'll need it.

Comment

I'm in Japan and probably moving back to the States later this summer. I'm bringing my much loved cat with me. I rescued her from the streets. But I'm not understanding quarantine issues. One website I looked at said no problem, but then when I double checked with them (a government office) I was told something different. Does anyone know where I can find accurate information on bringing a cat into Oregon or California? Oregon government offices are always a pain to deal with, and I'm not finding anything on their websites. Any suggestions?

It sounds like I need to get her vaccines here, and I'll also get a microchip for her. But please, what else should I know? As much as I love her, if there's a quarantine of any length, I'm not sure I want to put her through that, especially after her recent recovery from extreme starvation. She could barely walk when I found her, but now she's thriving.

Thanks!

Comment

You should be fine bringing her from Japan to the US. I'm sorry I can't be of too much help, because our cat has never been to the US.

If you have any contacts who are here with the US military, they might have access to the best information. They usually have people to assist with relocation, and lots of families move back and forth between Japan with pets.

Also, have a look around this site: http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DQ/animal.htm

I do believe you'll have to get some kind of exit order regardless of where you go, so contact Japan quarantine. They are extremely helpful and organized, by the way.

If you have a good vet, s/he should be able to help you get started. Our vets in Korea were able to look everything up on some kind of special vets' website. They walked my husband through the entire process.

Definitely put in the extra legwork to take your cat with you. Moving is just that much easier when you have a pet you love with you. I was never a pet person before, but since marrying a cat lover, I don't know how I lived without pets for so long.

Comment

Just a report: arrived back in Japan from the UK two weeks ago. We'd faxed all the papers to AQS for pre-checking, and they were fine. No quarantine time, just a microchip check. Easy. Super-easy, really. Coming from the UK, no shots or treatments at all were required. The UK doesn't charge for the export paperwork, either. (Unlike Canada.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx
                            Get all the vet papers in order and get the chip put in the cat's neck--the animal will sail through immigration in 5 minutes.
                            Are you dull? The OP was moving to Japan in December 2000.... 2000.... 2000....

Comment

Working...
                            X