X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining dependant visa

My wife will be going to japan in january next year. I would like to know if I could obtain dependant visa as her dependent and then go to japan by march or april.
    I have tried to obtain advise on this matter but nobody has given a complete answere.

Originally posted by sureshcooray
    My wife will be going to japan in january next year. I would like to know if I could obtain dependant visa as her dependent and then go to japan by march or april.
    I have tried to obtain advise on this matter but nobody has given a complete answere.

None of us here are immigration who are the only ones who issue visas. Check with the consulate in your country as to whether you can travel separately and your eligibility.

couple of points.

1. Your wife needs a valid work visa if you want to get a dependent visa
    2. you are not allowed to work on this visa unless you get permission. Illegal work on a dependent visa can lead to cancellation and deportation. You can work up to 20 hours with permission from immigration.

What do you plan to do in Japan while the wife is working?

Comment

Dumb question, but here goes as it could change things for you...is your wife Japanese?

Comment

I wish to follow a MSc course as I am a fully qualified engineer. I don't suppose I could find a job without being fluent in Japanese. That is why I am looking to follow a MSc. Please advise.

Comment

reply to song2

My wife is not japanese. She is Srilankan. And she will be working in Tokyo as a software engineer

Comment

Originally posted by sureshcooray
            My wife is not japanese. She is Srilankan. And she will be working in Tokyo as a software engineer
            If she has a fully sponsored work visa from her employer you can apply for a dependent visa but you have to ask permission to work on this visa as its a non-working visa. DV only allows you to work up to 20 hours a week as a dependent. Better than nothing.

I dont know anything about getting non-teaching technical jobs but Japanese ability is recommended though some get jobs depending on their skills and qualifications. Essentially what can you do that a bilingual Japanese can not do?

You may be able to come here and work part time and see what is available job-wise . My advice though is to start learning as much Japanese as you can though.

Comment

Found this from a thread posted by Trip Hop on another matter but of relevance to your situation

"........Lastly connections here are important, and can be the key to a position and making a career here. Having a champion in the company is immensely valuable, esp. for a woman, though rumours and gossip can be a headache.

There are Mac/ Unix based companies here, that do both development work and general IT contracting/ service work. There are also many small contracters who do work for Sony, NEC, Fujitsu in areas such as robotics, mobile computing technologies. Not all of them require fluent Japanese, which I know first hand from some of their engineers, and the certification requirements are also not so high, some experienced staff even joined and took their exams after. However as mentioned in another thread, many positions are not advertised, and you do need to be here actively seeking and networking to get them.

Better you come here to try for your IT job in person."

Good luck

Comment

Im here on a dependent visa, and you can actrually work up to 28 hours a week. Even more if your company really "needs" you.. All you have to do is get a note from you manager saying that they cant do business without you and you are greatly needed.

Very easy to get if your spouse has a valid work visa.

Comment

Working...
                X