X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. regions

Okay, vain, vacuous question, so flame away. What regions of America is your average Japanese aware of? Which ones are perceived as being the most advantageous to be from? Do they know the South, the Northeast, the Midwest? I'm from Texas, and I was just wondering if I should go buy a cowboy hat before I left (I haven't owned a cowboy hat since I was 12) and try to play up the whole Texas thing, or just tell everyone I'm from California, as I spent the last 2 1/2 years there and still have a California ID.

Re: U.S. regions

That depends on if you want to appear like a smart California native or a stupid texas hick like Dubyah!

Comment

I think it would be great to play up the American West thing, even if just for a lesson. You could also play up the California thing -- but that could be anything from surfer dude to punk rock boy to San Francisco ... artist.

I think most people think of New York City, Washington D.C and Disney as the three most American places of all. I don't know if they differentiate between regions any more than the average American differentiates between Okinawa and Tokyo.

Good luck and I'm sure we'll all look for the 10-gallon hat!

Comment

A lesson? A lesson for me, or for the Japanese?

Comment

Yeah, goodness knows California is known worldwide for its deep thought, reluctance to take action until after careful study, and typically correct conclusions.

Comment

Hey, you know what? If you meet any Japanese who are into country music (few, but there is a small circle of them) they will totally know texas. Its the funniest thing. My friends were all Japanese who got completely decked out cowboy gear, were into rodeo and line dancing....they really went ALL out. And its funny, cause there is country music live houses (they call them) where they all hang out and they will be wearing shirts with (always) the Texas and (occasionally) the Tennessee flag, and I think sometimes Alabama or something. They are American, especailly Texas, obsessed (those who are into that scene) and I dont even know if they really know it is the Texas flag they are promoting! What area are you going to be in?

Comment

Wow...crazy. Do they sport "#3 Dale Earnhart" stickers on the back windows of their pickup trucks? Heh...I'm going to be in Tokyo in September, in whatever el cheapo gaijin house I can find. What are some of the names of the "live houses"? I'd appreciate a contact at offz@dslextreme.com if need be.

Actually, come to think of it, I loathe line dancing. The worst thing to happen to country music since Garth Brooks. I'm much more a Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Hank Williams Sr. type, although I suppose I could put up with a lot in the name of cultural exchange. As long as they can two-step, I'm probably safe. And if they can't, I'll teach them...

Maybe I should bring over some deer jerky and pork rinds for them

Comment

Japanese seem to have the same impressions of the different U.S. regions as most people here have.

When you think Texas, you inevitably think of cowboys and rodeo's. Washington, D.C., government facilities and monuments. New York a modern city with lots of crime. L.A. is thought of as New York with palm trees and movie stars. Arizona brings up images of the Grand Canyon, cowboys, and cacti.

When you talk to people in the U.S., most have an impression that Japanese are either martial arts experts, samurai, or business men. When their not busy with origami they go out taking pictures of everything. The TV shows in Japan are all anime of course too. I've actually had several people ask me about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They wanted to know if it was all still ruins or if the cities rebuilt.

Japanese probably have a little bit more knowledge about the U.S. than Americans (and the rest of the world) knows about Japan because of all the Hollywood movies.

I would use the oportunity to show them what Texas is really like. Bring some pictures and maps. Most people in Japan are really interested in the U.S. and the American way of life.

Comment

Hey Frank,
                  Musician Jerry Jeff Walker once informed me that "we Texas don't line-dance -- that's what city-slickers do. We two-step."
                  Glad to see him backed up some 9 years later!

Comment

Working...
                  X