X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions: Need Answers. Please?

I'm in a somewhat unique situation and I wanted to ask a few questions rather than browse forums endlessly.

I am in the process of organizing an trip to Japan. I'm 21 (22 when I leave), have a highschool education, have funds to sustain my initial stay, and am going on a 6 month - 1 year Work Holiday visa.

What are my chances of finding a job that can sustain a decent standard of living? I understand that it'd probably be something in the realm of eikaiwa.

Should I organize job interviews before I leave, or would showing up in the front office of an eikaiwa be just as worthwhile?

What kind of information would an eikaiwa be looking for when considering me for a possition?

Is organizing a permenant residence before I leave a possibility, or should I be looking at places personally when I get there? I can think of several horror scenarios where I'm stuck in a slum under an unfair lease aggreement .

If there's anything that I forgot to ask about that might be critical, please don't hesitate to mention it.

Thanks, and all that!
    Last edited by Chris0r; 2004-11-28, 08:55 AM.

There is nothing unique about your situation, it is the same as thousands of others, and your questions have all been asked before.

1) Most jobs will require your presence in Japan for interview. Write ahead if you like, but better to organise once you are here, as so many fail to turn up. You'll also need to consider transportation. Buy yourself a Bilingual Atlas of wherever you will be living.

Requirements: Native English speaker, living, no gross physical deformities or speech impediments, residing in Japan, appropriate visa, not much else. Some higher level schools may want more, but not much. You'll probably only be working for short time/ part-time only. Prepare a simple CV, and bring documentation to support it.

Decent standard of living - depends on how hard you work. Search the forums for lots of advice on salary levels and expenses. Objective of WHV is to travel and see/ experience Japan, not just work.

2) A Permanent Residence is impossible to acquire from abroad, unless you are paying US$10,000/ month for a corporate apartment. Not likely on your wages. FInd a place to live once you arrive. You'll have to rent a place like everyone else.

3) Once working holiday visa is over, you'll have to satisfy Immigration for working visa if you intend to stay on. No degree, no visa.

Decide where to live - again, search forums for opinions on different places.

Make sure you bring plenty of cash for accommodation deposits, and to live on until you receive your first salary. US$5,000 would be recommended.

Comment

First, thanks for the reply.

But $5000 ?

And here I thought I'd be okay with $3000.
      I've seen a lot of estimates; anything ranging from $2000 up to $5000 (yours).

Is $5000 a generous estimate for someone planning to spend their time in Tokyo? Please say yes.

I was looking at starting my search for a job in Kobe, and getting a place on the outskirts. That's open for change of course, but my budget is not; it probably won't be going much above $3000.

:-o

Comment

Originally posted by Chris0r
        First, thanks for the reply.

But $5000 ?

And here I thought I'd be okay with $3000.
        I've seen a lot of estimates; anything ranging from $2000 up to $5000 (yours).

Is $5000 a generous estimate for someone planning to spend their time in Tokyo? Please say yes.
        Okay, yes $5000 is a generous estimate. I am of course lying my ass off in saying that but you did want somebody to say yes.

You have to figure a few things, like housing, food, travel, entertainment and whatever else strikes your fancy. I would say about $1000/month to ensure you are able to take care of all of the above. If you want to cut out the extraneous bits like entertainment, maybe down to $750. If you don`t mind shopping only at the 100 yen stores and living on instant ramen, and pre-made onigiri then maybe you can get by with about $600.00.

Like it or not, Japan is rather expensive for certain things. You can find some great bargains if you look for them,@but they`re not always available or possible.
        I was looking at starting my search for a job in Kobe, and getting a place on the outskirts. That's open for change of course, but my budget is not; it probably won't be going much above $3000.
        Then good luck to you, but unless you`re willing to sacrifice a few luxuries $3000 won`t last you more than 4 months.

Comment

Look at your post again.

What are my chances of finding a job that can sustain a DECENT standard of living?
          Is organizing a permenant residence before I leave a possibility?
          I was looking at starting my search for a job in Kobe, and getting a place on the outskirts.

All of these require money, esp. transportation, furnishing and deposit on accommodation, which could be from 2-6 months rent, if you find somewhere that will rent to a foreigner - another issue.

US$5,000 can easily go before you get your first pay check.

All you will probably want a mobile phone, broadband internet connection, etc., etc..

Comment

Well, I don't need to be patronised; I know what my post said.

However, I'm obviously not completely informed about everything that I need to prepare for.
            I thought I was pretty close though.

Then good luck to you, but unless you`re willing to sacrifice a few luxuries $3000 won`t last you more than 4 months.
            Should I expect to be without work for more than a month? Was expecting to find work within a couple of weeks overly optimistic?

Thanks again in advance for the info.

Comment

However, I'm obviously not completely informed about everything that I need to prepare for.

Should I expect to be without work for more than a month? Was expecting to find work within a couple of weeks overly optimistic?

Thanks again in advance for the info.
              Yes, there are NO guarantees! Why not start out with one of the big schools that hire overseas
              (AEON, GEOS, NOVA - listed in order of quality ) then you can always leave after your 1st yr for something better

Comment

woops, with no degree guess that rules out the big schools cept maybe NOVA part time?

Comment

I'm assuming this is in reference to what I said, and if you think that was patronising then I suggest you grow a thicker skin. You want honesty, and I will be brutally honest and pull no punches, I have no problem telling people the truth, or at the very least my interpretation of it.
                  You forget that what works back home does not necessarily work here. Japan is expensive for certain things, and really cheap for others. Figure on what you would need back home to live comfortably (this is all relative of course), take that amount and at a rough estimate double it.
                  Way too optimistic in my books. Even if you get an interview and get hired, chances are you're not going to start before the spring. In fact from what I understand about Japanese culture, you're heading into the worst time to be applying for a job since nobody hires before February.

Comment

I'm assuming this is in reference to what I said, and if you think that was patronising then I suggest you grow a thicker skin. You want honesty, and I will be brutally honest and pull no punches, I have no problem telling people the truth, or at the very least my interpretation of it.
                    Kumachan: No, it wasn't what you said. I found your post very informative and constructive. I was actually refering to trip_hop. Although, to his credit, I also found him informative and helpful as well.

I don't plan on leaving until late February, so I should be okay for hitting the hiring season. I'm really not looking good to perspective employers without a degree, though, am I?

If I may indulge myself for a minute; I refuse to take a degree for something I'm not going to use to do something I love, so I'm going to Japan to see if I like teaching (Well, that's one of the reasons). I've been kicking around, testing the waters in various different fields, and this is my last stop.

I absolutely refuse to give up on this, regardless of this slight road block. I'm counting on persistance and motivation to make up for the degree I lack. If that's too optimistic, sue me... or something. =]

Comment

Chris you came here for answers and that is what you got.
                      Believe me there are thousands of foreigners over here
                      riding the gravy train whereby you get to have a job for being
                      white and alive.
                      A degree is necessary nearly all of the time, but there may be peope
                      willing to hire you if they make enough of a connection with you.
                      However, it would take a lot of time to meet such people....
                      If you get a working holiday visa perhaps you could get bar work
                      Or you could register on the old find a teacher websites.
                      No one on this site is going to solve your problems,
                      but do yourself a favour and look through the myriad threads
                      on this site about this project. Someone in your situation comes
                      on with the same questions nearly everyday.
                      And by the way, Triphop is not a him, but a fawn.

Comment

*shrug*

Fawn, Him... close enough.

Bar work, eh? A stipulation of the WH visa states that you may not work in any establishment dealing with entertainment. So, that's out.

I still have confidence that being white and alive will earn me a teaching position in an eikaiwa somewhere.

I can also say with confidence that there are children who will be learning english more reliably from me than from a lot of the other clods WITH degrees who are populating the eikaiwa industry.

As always, thanks for the input. =)

Comment

Chris0r;

It sounds like you've got a lot of heart, no experience, and no diploma.

*Get a degree. Buy a degree from Mexico. Print one up on your computer.* (You think I'm kidding?)
                          If you don't then you will not find a job that will make you happy you came to Japan. Without that paper you will be selling HJ's in kabukicho and writing home to Mama, telling her about some Phillipina new-half kicked the shet out of you for stealing her John.

See my asterisked points. It will work and you will find yourself in a comfy little eikaiwa job. If you decide that honesty is the best policy, don't complain to me when you find yourself fluffing soupmen for that bukkake shot.

Comment

Maki's Mum - fawn!? Think you mean doe? As opposed to buck. Don't know any terms for granny-aged deers!

chris - good to have confidence - take care it does not become overconfidence, or arrogance.

Why not post your success story here afterwards?

And just for reference, from today's paper:
                            The revised Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law takes effect Thursday.

The upper limit of fines will go up drastically. For visa violations or illegal entry, the fine can reach 3 million yen, up 10-fold.

Those who encourage employment of people without legitimate residential status can be fined up to 3 million yen. Foreigners who become engaged in activities other than what they are authorized to do under their visas can be fined up to 2 million yen, also up 10-fold.

Doubt that many will pay that kind of money, so a spot of time in detention is prescribed before the one way trip to the airport.

If you want to fool an employer with a Mexican or Thai degree, it is up to you, just do not try to fool Immigration.

Comment

Listen to the Word of the Devil

Morning Star is right. Get a copy of a friend's degree, and paste in your own name. With it, your enthusiasm for teaching English will already put you ahead of the rest of us, most of whom consider that to be a profession about as fulfilling as a job entailing asking "Wood ya like fries wit dat?". Without it, you wil be working at some hole in the wall scam outfit where the owner may pull a runner any day, taking your paycheck and your dreemu at the same time.
                              Good Luck.
                              PS If you ever make smart ass remarks to trip hop again I will cyber fry you. You have been warned. Your entire post requires at least mild patronisation, given that you know **** all, and have the guts to ask for help. U R a newbie. We like being nice to newbies. Don't ____ us off.
                              Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X