X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• important to take??

what things would you suggest to take that you need and can't buy easily in japan?

since i know you'll ask - i leave in one month for osaka, i'm 23 - i thought of toothpaste, eye make up remover (because i use a colourstay mascara), anti-perspirant, tampax, pantyhose - any others?

Re: important to take??

Here is Uncle Kent`s List of Necessities.

1.A big cardboard boxes of those bung-eyed joke glasses from the $2 shop cos` those things are ____ing hilarious.
    2.A big photo album of those funny looking gaijin in your family cos` those people look ____ing hilarious.
    3.Pantyhose remover.
    4.INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH "ESSENCE OF FORMALDEHYDE" anti-perspirant as the Japanese ones are totally useless.
    5.Eyepaste remover.
    6.Tampax applicator kit and remover

godspeed the vortex.

Comment

good thing i stocked up at the $2 shop already...

can i ask apart from keeping springfield well informed, what you do for arning $ in japan, and how you find it compared to nz? (also how did you end up in japan?)

Comment

I must be careful divulging details lest I incriminate myself.

Like many others I get paid over NZ 5,000 rubles a month to sing the ABC song and do the Hokey Pokey with small children. Compared to NZ? What jobs in NZ pay that money? The lifestyle here sucks though. None of the ol` 5pm "bolt for the carpark" over here. Compared to Japan, NZ is catatonically laid back, the people are borderline narcoleptically (stupid word, sorry) relaxed. That`s what I miss. The humans.

I came here 10 years ago to crash at a friends flat... and ____ me, I`m still here.

Is it your first time to come to Japan? Clamber on the gravy train, it`s running out of steam but there are still a few rich passengers left...

Comment

i would expect after 10 years you could earn 60k here? (i'm assuming you have a degree to have got a visa)

i'm sitting in my office in palmy over looking the sqaure (i don't live in pn thank god - sorry to all those of you from palmy, but admit it, it really is a boring place) and it is soooo laid back, which thinking back to my last trip to tokyo has now made me get pre-flight nerves. i'm going to work for everyone's favourite eikaiwa in osaka, but i did japanese at college and 2 years at varsity so i should have some small (being hopeful) chance of getting a job (any one need hr/recruitement?).

umm, this will be my 3rd time - 6th form went on 3 week, end of 1st year was going to be a hostess bar girl, but two weeks before i was going decided it might be best not to, and last xmas went to tokyo. i still liked it last time, so i'm trying to remind myself that. i guess just cause it is summer here and bbq's and beach and everything - i'm homesick before i've left.

i figure if you and others like it, it must be ok.

is the simpsons on tv in japan?

Comment

Yes, we are on in Japan, which is about the only thing that makes this country tolerable. SkyPerfecTV is a godsend for wily gaijin who have no interest in the buffoonery the locals put on TV.

Comment

Mr Brockman you are everywhere!
              Back to the original post: Unless you are less than 5'2 (1.57m) and weight less than 8 stones bring loads of clothes and tights. Everyone here is so small and thin. Regarding cosmetic stuff just bring for your first days here. They have absolutely everything here, including antiperspirant. As they say "if you can not find it in Japan then probably doesn't exist" Since you know the language you'll have no problem telling the difference between nal polish remover and eye make up remover.

Mr Brockman you might get on my nerves but I have to admit you are very funny. Hats off to you! I really enjoy your postings. I am not joking, this is a genuine comment and I am being honest here.

Comment

Vitamins and your basic cold remedy shockingly expensive over here.
                Write a letter to yourself about where you are at (hopes,dream, things that are important to you etc....) Seal it and stick it in the bottom of your luggage. DO NOT OPEN IT for at least 6 months and then judge how much you have been changed by your "Japan Experience".

Comment

Ophelia -
                  about how many stones do you think I weigh?

Comment

Mr Simpson, how would I know? Are you tall and big? Or small and fragile looking?

Comment

Surely you know what I look like. I'm famous worldwide!

Comment

Nope! Unfortunately, I have been living in my own planet for the last 25 years! It's a very 'happenning place' and I hated when I left it to move to Japan! Hence, I have no clue who you are! Are you a distant relation to Homer the ancient Greek epic poet?

Comment

Kent Brockman:
                          Please enlighten Ophelia as to who I am! I've been to outerspace, contended for the heavyweight title, thoroughly annoyed former President George H.W. Bush, toured with Cypress Hill and Smashing Pumpkins, was elected Sanitation Czar of Springfield, and won a Grammy, yet she has no idea who I am. In the meantime, I have no idea what a stone is and no idea how many stones I weigh, a fact of life that is driving me to near insanity!

Comment

According to the information I have gleaned from his place of employment, Simpson is "a chair warmer from Sector 7-G forward slash safety inspector". His file states that he has never reported for the company bi-ennial physical examination therefore his weight is unlisted.

Comment

from this day forward, I declare this to be, Homer J Simpson day!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X