Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to Tokyo from Singapore, need help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Tokyo from Singapore, need help!

Hi, I'm a 22 year old individual toying with the idea of a 6-month intensive Japanese language study stint in Tokyo from mid Jan till July-Aug. However, i'm hopelessly lost as to where to start, so any help will be appreciated.

I'll be going on a budget of around USD1.5k/month, is it sufficient?

Any language schools to recommend? Or would it be better if i start searching when i get to Japan?

Accommodations wise, i was hoping to find it down in Tokyo when i get there. Any avenues as to where to start searching for them? Are Gaijin houses recommended?

I'm also hoping to land some freelancing part-time work. I heard that some Japanese actually pay foreign students to teach them English since it is so much cheaper. Any chances?

I apologize for the throng of questions, but i'm really confused. I would like to go down to Japan without preparations and whack it out but it seems like a real bad idea. :-/

Ahh singapore...

I loved it when I was there.

For the 1.5k usd a week, should be fine if that is for the living cost only.

Accomidation, yes the gaijin houses are cheap, sometimes...but there are some pretty bad ones.

Location, there is no real "downtown" Tokyo, choose an area and then you can find out what the accomodations are looking like.

I was staying by Minowa station close to Ueno in Tokyo and spent about 1.5 to 2k USD for accomidation, food and some local travel per month. Hope that helps.
    By the way Ueno is a major station pretty close to everything in Tokyo.
    Gixx

Comment

Working...
    X