X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to visit Japan again

Hi There, Seven years ago I overstayed my tourist visa. My only excuse is I was young and immature. I was deported and banned for 5 years. Now, I would like to visit the country again for a short vacation and to see some old friends. I know the ban has expired but I am still nervous about returning because Japanese immigration officials are very strict. I fear they will send me back on the first available flight back home because of my past. My question is now that my ban has expired do you think I will be scrutinized at passport control and have problems gaining entry? And, if you have had similiar problems or know someone who has faced a similiar experience I would appreciate it if you could contact me and give me some advice??

See your other thread for my reply.

Comment

You did your time. Immigration can't kick you out for that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
        You did your time. Immigration can't kick you out for that now.
        They can't kick him out, but they have a right not to let him in. Deportation mean checking "yes" on the disembarkation card, which is an automatic questioning in a separate room at passport control. If he doesn't have a good reason to be there with a sold itinerary and contact number etc etc, he won't be let in. Even if he does, it's up to immigration and how they feel that day.

I mean, he overstayed. Sure, he "did his time", but if he did it once he's likely to do it again, and the whole point of immigration checks is to make sure people on tourist waivers aren't risks- he is. I wouldn't be surprised he doesn't get in and that's entirely within immigration's rights to do so, even if the formal ban has expired. It's a 50/50 chance. He would have a better chance getting a proper tourist visa beforehand rather than a waiver, even if he's from a waiver country. He'll still get pulled over and questioned but has a better chance of actually getting in.

Comment

Working...
        X