Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much to survive?

Hey all,
    Just received my TESL certification, I'm thinking of coming to Tokyo at the tail end of march on a tourist visa and start looking for ESL jobs. I have a friend who is going to put me up until I can get a place of my own, after I get a job and some cash (hopefully a job that provides housing).

My question is, approximetly how much money will I need in order to survive in Tokyo until I receive my first payment from a job? I realize most ESL companies pay by the month, so assuming I find a job within the first month I am there (is that too optimistic?) how much would i need to bring to live off of? Remember i have a place to stay, I'm talking just food, train fare, etc.

Oh and to let you know a little about me (so I won't have to answer in further posts, just in case) I do have a B.A, a TESL teaching certificate, have one year teaching experience in Japan (when i was an exchange student) and speak nihongo.

please respond if you can, Dave

Re: how much to survive?

Regardless of having a friend who can put you up, I would still recommend bringing US$3000-4000 with you. That first paycheck may be 6 weeks away, and you'd move into housing your employer provides, so you'll have to pay for that.

If you want a breakdown on monthly expenses, send me an email.
    GHILL18299@aol.com

And, always plan for emergencies.

Comment

you will need 223,431 yen

Comment

$4000US ???! That is extreme. Common man. He's talking about survival, not pissing away hundreds of dollars each night in Ginza.

Comment

Yeah it is better to have too much rather than not enough. I rean out of money and food when I came. I also did not speak a workd of japanese and was generally not bright about the whole transition phase.

He is right though that first paycheck can be 6 or even 8 weeks away. Mine was 8 weeks. I only brought 200,000 with me.

The is the thought of rent too. The company I worked for took the rent out of my first pay and I had to pay cash when I got there.

I think 300,000 is enough

Comment

I can agree with 300,000 yen too.That is exactly how much I brought and I survived for 8 weeks before I got my first paycheck.I even had a little money left over and had beer on the weekends.

Comment

i think 500,000yen-600,000yen for the first month because if you are going to be finding a apartment by yourself you will have to pay for key money etc which could be around 300,000yen and then you would have 200,000yen-300,000yen to spend on other things!

Comment

Working...
              X