X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaijin Card and address changes

Waaahhhh.... there are getting to be TOO many problems in my plans.
    I plan to go to Japan to work. I will have a visa and a sponsor before I go, I already have a company to sponsor me. I plan to look for an apartment with a friend, but she doesn't want to try to convince the landlord to put me on the lease before I get the gaijin card, so I plan to live in a weekly mansion for the first two weeks or so that I'm in Japan.

My friend will let me use her address to get the gaijin card until we move, but will I have to somehow PROVE that I live there? Will she have to come with me to get the card, and if so will she need any documentation that proves the apartment is leased in her name?

Also, will it draw negative attention if I change the address on the gaijin card only two weeks after I originally apply for it? I imagine a lot of people do similar things... but does it raise a red flag? Again, when I move will I have to PROVE that I live in the address that I write down?

And how long does a gaijin card take to GET? Since I can't get a phone until I have one, it will be very difficult to communicate with friends and even my employer if it takes a long time. I guess mine took about a week the first time? But they CALLED me when it was ready... I can't get a phone without a gaijin card, so how will I know when it's ready?

Re: Gaijin Card and address changes

You have NO problems.

You have a job, a proper visa, a place to live, a friend in Japan willing to help you; things that many people on this forum are desperate for.

Not having a mobile phone or gaijin card for two weeks is not the end of the world! The ward office will send you a postcard telling you that your ARC is ready to collect at whatever address is put on it, or you can even call them. There are phone boxes on the streets, shops and stations. You have e-mail. There will almost certainly be a phone in your weekly mansion. You can even buy a pre-paid phone.

Stop worrying about imaginary problems: once you are in Japan just follow the procedures for getting the proper documentation and settling in. Everyone has to do it. There will be many other things for you to do that will not be inconvenienced by the lack of a mobile phone.

Comment

Well I'm mainly worried about the phone because of INCOMING calls, I have relied entirely on pay phones before, and there are internet cafes... I'll just have to check in with my employers daily, since they won't be able to call me.

Thanks for giving me a reality check, anyway. I know my situation is a lot better than it could be.

Is there going to be a problem with using my friend's address?

And... the gaijin card takes two weeks to get?
      I should have remembered all of these things the first time around, but last time I got a phone and a student ID the first week I was there, and I didn't need to lease my own apartment, the gaijin card was basically a formality that I didn't pay much attention to... (>_&lt

Comment

I just got my gaijin card. When I applied, I got a paper which stated it would be ready to pick up in two weeks and I had to bring that paper with me. Before I got the card I had already moved. So the day after I picked up my card I took it to the new City Office and got the address changed. I didn't need any proof of my address. So you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Comment

Great! That's a relief, thank you!

Comment

actually when you apply for your gaijin card you can ask for an extra paper that will serve as a subsititute for your gaijin card. you have to pay an extra 200 yen for it, just tell them you need a shomeisho to make a bank account, they'll know what your talking about. It's a different paper from the paper they automatically give you to prove you applied.. its got the city seal etc..

Comment

Oh really????
              I already have an account with UFJ... does it work for a cellphone too???

Comment

No; you need the proof of residency that a gaijin card denotes. But the certificate that you have applied for one may be sufficient. Depends on the terms and conditions of the phone company.

Comment

Working...
                X