Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Top Module
Collapse

Question about pushing the age limit for a working holiday visa...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about pushing the age limit for a working holiday visa...

    Hi,

    I'm sorry if this has been covered here in the past - I ran several searches and I haven't been able to find exactly the information I'm after. The embassy websites are a bit vague with the details on entry times, etc.. so I'm asking here if anyone has any experience. I've also tried emailing my local Japanese consulate (Melbourne - over 3 months ago) but have received no response.

    I turned 30 last April, which means I'll be 31 in about 2 months. I understand the age limit for a working holiday visa to be 30 years old, inclusive. Which means I can still apply for it right now.

    I have the paperwork filled out, and I'm planning on submitting it to the consulate tomorrow. I know the application is still valid, as right now I'm 30.

    I have two questions:

    1.) When can I enter? Do I have to enter/activate the visa by my 31st birthday? I'm hoping to leave in 4-5 months, rather than less than 2.

    2.) Australians get a 6-month visa which can be renewed for another 6-month, totaling 12 months. If I am 31 at the time of renewal, will I be able to renew?

    If anyone can answer either of the above questsions, it would be extremely appreciated.

    Thanks.

    James

  • #2
    Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
    1.) When can I enter? Do I have to enter/activate the visa by my 31st birthday? I'm hoping to leave in 4-5 months, rather than less than 2.

    2.) Australians get a 6-month visa which can be renewed for another 6-month, totaling 12 months. If I am 31 at the time of renewal, will I be able to renew?

    If anyone can answer either of the above questsions, it would be extremely appreciated.

    Thanks.

    James
    must be a citizen/national of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Republic of Korea, Germany, the United Kingdom, Ireland or Denmark currently residing in his or her country of citizenship, or must be a resident of Taiwan or Hong Kong.
    must intend primarily to holiday in Japan for a specific length of time.
    must be between 18 and 30 years of age.
    must possess a valid passport and a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket.
    must possess reasonable funds for living expenses, including medical expenses, during the period of the initial stay in Japan. For a single person, the minimum is US$2000, for a married couple, US$3000 or equivalent amount of the national currency.
    must be in good health and not have a criminal record.


    You must apply by your 31st birthday. says nothing about when you enter the country but I would not wait until you are over 31 before entering the country.

    Immigration can still refuse you entry.

    If you get a 6 month visa stamp it then become a resident status and in principle can get one renewal from within Japan.

    Comment


    • #3
      1. I can't answer that, other than to say the WHV web site explains you have a year to use it. Not much help.

      2. Again, not much help here, but even under normal conditions, the WHV web site doesn't guarantee renewal after 6 months. It says may be renewed. My guess, probably the same as yours, is that you wouldn't be renewed.

      Contact immigration directly for the official scoop.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
        2.) Australians get a 6-month visa which can be renewed for another 6-month, totaling 12 months. If I am 31 at the time of renewal, will I be able to renew?
        Australians get two renewals, meaning that you can stay a maximum of 18 months.

        Everything is case by case, but in general, Australia is very kind and flexible to Japanese WHV users; no reason to expect any less reciprocity...
        Last edited by trip_hop; 2012-03-05, 08:56 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Since nobody had a real answer for either question, I'll respond with what i know so far!

          1.) (relating to entering the country after 31st birthday) .. I spoke with the guy at the Melbourne consulate. He said it's perfectly fine to enter after my 31st birthday, as long as I get the visa approved before my 31st birthday - which is in about a month.

          2.) He told me that I could probably also renew after my 31st birthday, but they can't officially say. It's simply not guaranteed under any circumstance.

          The thing I found surprising was they wanted to at least see a one-way ticket. Is this normal? I showed him a bank account with over 20k in it - the instructions state that one has to show enough money to stay ($2500) plus enough money to purchase a ticket. Yet they're asking specifically for the ticket. I don't really understand why I need to have a ticket as well - and they weren't clear as to why.

          In any case, I have a friend who is a travel agent who can book a flight without ticketing it, and thus print a real itinerary I can use to get the visa. I just don't want to buy a plane ticket right now because I'm not sure if I want to go in June or July. argh.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
            Since nobody had a real answer for either question, I'll respond with what i know so far!
            No-one can answer for sure, unless they have had experience of the exact same situation. Immigration work on guidelines, not absolutes, hence case-by-case judgements.

            Ticketing - pretty common request - though it is usually for a return ticket - they like to make sure that you can leave here! Lots of hoops to jump through over here for all aspects of life.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
              The thing I found surprising was they wanted to at least see a one-way ticket. Is this normal?.
              Well, any ticket less than one way would certainly be abnormal, IHOMO, but I always had to show a ticket when I applied.

              That was a long time ago, though.

              No idea about the rest of it. As Trip Hop and others mentioned, Japanese Immigration works very much case by case, so if you're not a scuzzy billabong rider, and you are polite and patient, you will probably be fine, both entering, and renewing.

              Have fun.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                Well, any ticket less than one way would certainly be abnormal, IHOMO, but I always had to show a ticket when I applied.
                All good now - I was quite polite with explaining that I was indecisive about when to leave - he even told me I could just bring in an itinerary and no proof of payment or anything was required. So that's done. I get it back in a week.

                Now just to figure out when to go! .. lots to get in order here before I go..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
                  The thing I found surprising was they wanted to at least see a one-way ticket. Is this normal? I showed him a bank account with over 20k in it - the instructions state that one has to show enough money to stay ($2500) plus enough money to purchase a ticket. Yet they're asking specifically for the ticket. I don't really understand why I need to have a ticket as well - and they weren't clear as to why.

                  In any case, I have a friend who is a travel agent who can book a flight without ticketing it, and thus print a real itinerary I can use to get the visa. I just don't want to buy a plane ticket right now because I'm not sure if I want to go in June or July. argh.
                  There is probably a certain limited number of WHVs that can be issued to the various nationalities, and having a plane ticket in hand gives more assurance that you will actually use the WHV. Who can say?

                  As for "Since nobody had a real answer for either question", give it some time and post on another forum, too. LonelyPlanet.com/thorntree is one place to start.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
                    Hi,

                    I'm sorry if this has been covered here in the past - I ran several searches and I haven't been able to find exactly the information I'm after. The embassy websites are a bit vague with the details on entry times, etc.. so I'm asking here if anyone has any experience. I've also tried emailing my local Japanese consulate (Melbourne - over 3 months ago) but have received no response.

                    I turned 30 last April, which means I'll be 31 in about 2 months. I understand the age limit for a working holiday visa to be 30 years old, inclusive. Which means I can still apply for it right now.

                    I have the paperwork filled out, and I'm planning on submitting it to the consulate tomorrow. I know the application is still valid, as right now I'm 30.

                    I have two questions:

                    1.) When can I enter? Do I have to enter/activate the visa by my 31st birthday? I'm hoping to leave in 4-5 months, rather than less than 2.

                    2.) Australians get a 6-month visa which can be renewed for another 6-month, totaling 12 months. If I am 31 at the time of renewal, will I be able to renew?

                    If anyone can answer either of the above questsions, it would be extremely appreciated.

                    Thanks.

                    James
                    I am from Canada, and applied when I was 30. The embassy where I applied told me I had to enter Japan before I turned 31. Having done so, I then contacted immigration whilst in Japan about extending before I turned 31 and was told it didn't matter, not to apply until 3 months before my visa expires and then to apply. Since I am in country and have the working holiday visa they said my age no longer mattered.

                    Thats just me, and my experience, we'll see in 2 months when I go to extend what happens, but I am sure it will be fine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TeRReT View Post
                      I am from Canada, and applied when I was 30. The embassy where I applied told me I had to enter Japan before I turned 31.
                      Very interesting! I wonder why they told me it was OK to enter after being 31. I bet you would have been OK too - it was probably just someone's own interpretation of the rules.

                      I am picking up my visa today though .. so I'll be sure to ask again to double check. That would rather dramatically change my plans.

                      I'm sure you'll be OK renewing as well - but please do let us know!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TeRReT View Post
                        Thats just me, and my experience, we'll see in 2 months when I go to extend what happens, but I am sure it will be fine.
                        Just curious, was it all fine?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gekkonaut View Post
                          Just curious, was it all fine?
                          Sorry, should have updated.

                          It was completely fine. I think they say it can take a month, but for me it took a week or less, though I am in a small city. Had to go in, fill out an easy form, submit it, a week or less later got a notice and back to immigration to pay 4,000yen for a stamp and then they updated my passport. Didn't even look at my birth date at all.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X