Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Japan popular?

A question for everyone?

I see many people wanting to come to Japan and teach English, why? is the money good? is it the culture? is it the *cute* females? or a better life than their own country? etc....

Which countries do people come from.

PJ.

Let's have a good response....

Re: Is Japan popular?

Sadly, many people come here because they have heard false information about how much money you can make. Baseline salaries are 250,000 yen/month, and a moderately thrifty person can clear 70,000 yen/month (unless he/she has debts back home).

Some men, sadly, come here figuring they can support themselves with teaching jobs and get laid a lot. They do both.

However, there is also the JET program, which employs thousands of people from about 30 countries. www.jetprogramme.org

Many others just want to get in on the teaching market. How much they save varies widely.

Comment

I am a Brit, been here 3 years...came to experience a different culture and enjoy a different lifestyle. have been teaching for a long time so the actual work here was a shock!!!!! But have made lots of good mates and love Japan.

Relationships are not so easy for us girls but where theres life....... do often feel like a diabetic in a sweetshop though!!!!!!!

As for the dosh...well I have made a lot more than the base salary but I am a qualified and experienced teacher so its easier...plus you can make a good whack from private students if thats your thing.....

Looking forward to hearing what other folks have to say....

Comment

As far as I know, in New York City, anything incorporated with Japanese is VERY popular, especially when it comes down to the style/clothing. If you are asking from a "From Japan to you" perspective, then sorry, I don't know

Comment

Dont worry man you will find good job and love it.
          japan is nice country money it depends on you if you want to save money you should spend very quite. but any way there is much money to earn if you no how.

you should me smart though. good luck

Comment

I will probably see you in japan Tokyo when I come for a holiday and look for a job to stay there.

Comment

1. Japan is popular because I am here.

2. I am popular because I am in Japan.

3. I am here because Japan is popular.

a) Hitsuji.
              b) Megalomaniacal.
              c) CharisMangina.

Comment

re: Is Japan Popular?

All of the reasons u said

Comment

Japan is a popular destination for those wishing to teach EFL who have little experience because it enjoys the reputation of being a well-paying country where employers do nopt ask for EFL qualifications. It is also deemed exotic, has some vague connection to a thing called zen, and Japanese girls are fetishised..

In reality wages have remained stagnant (at best) for around 25 years and the yen has plummeted over the last decade and a half so in real ($, OZ$, GBP) terms wages have plummeted to around 60% of their 1990 value, most of Japan is an empty, shallow, soul-less, materialistic energy-sump and eikaiwa teachers are considered somewhat bottom-of-the-barrel by most sophisticated and intelligent Japanese girls.

On the other hand get out of the towns and cities (and villages) and up into the mountains, find some trees, some rocks and some water and it all makes sense again.

Comment

Oh yes Japan is a popular destination

Everytime i go back to my home country i am overwhelmed by the positive reactions i get from family, friends and people in the community about living in Japan. My dad adores the place, and continuously raves on and on about how brilliant the service is here, and how efficient the trains are, and how hard the Japanese work,etc, etc. Personally, i find the place very motivating to live in. Love the busy atmosphere, it makes me feel purposeful. There are many, many things i admire about the Japanese here, how they can build a block of apartments within a few short months (instead of years like back home!), and the list goes on. I've had my fair share of ups and downs, but overall, there are no complaints. In fact, i'm only sorry that one day i'll have to leave this place. I like the liasion between two different countries, and experiencing this culture. Every time i mention that i live in Japan, i feel sort of famous or special, i'm not sure why that is? It also doesn't matter how much money you earn, it's how you budget and save it and spend it that counts.

Comment

hmmmmmm

Originally posted by enigmatic-alien
                      Everytime i go back to my home country i am overwhelmed by the positive reactions i get from family, friends and people in the community about living in Japan. My dad adores the place, and continuously raves on and on about how brilliant the service is here, and how efficient the trains are, and how hard the Japanese work,etc, etc..
                      the service is fast enough but kinda impersonal... many people in the service industry are plain rude... if you have a special request or a complaint.... you are in the wrong country... trains do run on time, when they aren't running into apartment buildings.

Personally, i find the place very motivating to live in. Love the busy atmosphere, it makes me feel purposeful. There are many, many things i admire about the Japanese here, how they can build a block of apartments within a few short months (instead of years like back home!), and the list goes on..
                      up in a few short months... down in a few seconds... you should have been living in kobe at the time of the big one... i would hate to see what would happen to tokyo when things start shaking.

I've had my fair share of ups and downs, but overall, there are no complaints. In fact, i'm only sorry that one day i'll have to leave this place. I like the liasion between two different countries, and experiencing this culture. Every time i mention that i live in Japan, i feel sort of famous or special, i'm not sure why that is? It also doesn't matter how much money you earn, it's how you budget and save it and spend it that counts.
                      i am glad you are having a good experience... sorry to be negative above... but personally i think that japan's charm wears off soon enough... it is one of those countries where, the more you understand the language, the less you understand the people.

Comment

Originally posted by eku
                        the service is fast enough but kinda impersonal... many people in the service in
                        i am glad you are having a good experience... sorry to be negative above... but personally i think that japan's charm wears off soon enough... it is one of those countries where, the more you understand the language, the less you understand the people.

Probably the only country in the world where to build an expo celebrating greenery and nature and saving the environment they bulldozed a whole forest to make way for the pavilions.

If you speak Japanese you can understand what the guy behind you in the bar is saying foreigners (and their Japanese wives) and its not always flattering.

Comment

probably the only country in the world to believe it is the only country in the world to have four seasons too

in japan they make loo paper from milk cartons to save the environment but go through millions of wooden disposable chopsticks a day, because they are cheaper to make than easily replenishable bamboo waribashi??!!

Comment

Originally posted by eku
                            the service is fast enough but kinda impersonal... many people in the service industry are plain rude... if you have a special request or a complaint.... you are in the wrong country... trains do run on time, when they aren't running into apartment buildings.

Indeed, I find it very impersonal. The only exception I can think of is the 7/11 opposite my apartment building. I often shop there and they have come to know me. Sometimes we even talk about something other than the weather, which is actually a big step for retail outlets.

up in a few short months... down in a few seconds... you should have been living in kobe at the time of the big one... i would hate to see what would happen to tokyo when things start shaking.

Have to disagree. Japan has most stringent earthquake measures in the world. Apart from corruption this is why many construction companies are not permitted to conduct business in Japan. i.e. no experience in building complexes that meet the Japanese standards.

And aint that the truth cowgirl!

Comment

Originally posted by eku
                              probably the only country in the world to believe it is the only country in the world to have four seasons too

in japan they make loo paper from milk cartons to save the environment but go through millions of wooden disposable chopsticks a day, because they are cheaper to make than easily replenishable bamboo waribashi??!!
                              True, but who do you think goes throuh the most disposable wooden chopsticks, Japan or China?

Comment

Working...
                              X