X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to move to japan

my girlfriend is japanese and we were together her in america when she was an exchage student. now she is back in japan and has to g to school anouther year. i love japan and want to move there and be with her. the problom is i am 18 and have no collage education. my girlfriend lives in toyama and i need to be with her im dying here in america. if someone can tell me any ideas for moving there and being able to survive for at least a year please tell me im desperate.

Re: i need to move to japan

i forgot to mention that i love her and we want to get married

Comment

Get a student visa and study in Japan. Being American, you have no other choice in your current situation.

Comment

i cat afford to studie over there and im not the student type. do you think i couldget a work visa to go there andlook for work at mcdonalds or something.

Comment

Oh man. I can sense the desperation, but unfortunately, to get a work visa you need a 4-year college degree or many years (10?) of work experience in a particular field. Glenski is right, the best option for you is to go there on a student visa. Perhaps you could study Japanese?...

Good luck.

Comment

if i go over there on a student visa could i still find work or some way of supporting myself

Comment

I believe you can work up to 20 hours a week on a student visa. Is that right guys?

Comment

If you are just following your girlfriend, and if you seriously, truly LOVE her, you will plan things out properly.

Americans in your position have few options.
                A work visa requires a bachelor's degree.
                A spouse visa is what you get after you marry her.
                A student visa MIGHT allow you to work part-time, but the bettermoney would be teaching private English lessons. Since you are only 18, I seriously doubt people would entrust such work in you.
                You could always fly in and out on a tourist visa every 90 days, but that's pretty expensive, and immigration would be suspicious.

That's it. Don't complain about the system. It wasn't made to suit your needs and desires.

Comment

Heard of NOVA group anyone?

Hi there guys and girls,

I am a new graduate and am considering joining the NOVA group where you teach english in Japan.
                  Has anyone joined with them, if yes are you being treated well, recomend others come via NOVA. I know they sort out everything but what are the experiences you have had, good/ bad?

anxious student :-)

Comment

Sunnee

NOVA is one of the biggest chain language schools in japan and has something like 450 branches and employs over 2000 foreign teachers. Whether you have a good or bad experience will depend on the branch you work at, your branch manager as well as how well you can cope with living in a foreign country, dealing with culture shock and a different work culture etc. The average language teacher (and most of them ARE average) works there 6-8 months while you have several who work there many years so opinions vary.

For information on NOVA I would suggest you do a websearch for the NOVA teachers union website, as well as click on the "branches" link at http://www.generalunion.org to get an idea of the background history of the company.

Not all is bad about working at NOVA especially if you have no teaching expereince, no teaching qualifications and are looking for your first teaching job in japan. Just make sure you READ the contract and do your homework on the company first.

Comment

I was hired to teach English at 18, and had a great job...but I did a great job, and my students loved me. So, it can be done. Just be careful who you work for.
                      Anyway, go on a studnet visa. Whether you are the "student type" or not, everyone needs some education for security. Even if you get a trade or degree, whatever.

Comment

Considering the above guy can't even spell, do you think he'd really be successful at teaching English? I would visit Japan first before you decide to move here, and meet her family. It's very unlikely that her family would allow her to marry a foreigner at age 18, and though she tells you she wants to marry you, you may find the reality to be quite different. I'm sorry if this seems harsh or mean; it's not meant to be. It's just that my experience with Japanese women has taught me that they are EXTREMELY practical, particularly when it comes to money and marriage. Having a man who can support her financially seems to be very important to most Japanese women. Visit, get to know her family, and Japan and the culture, before you decide to move here for HER. After all, couldn't she also move to the US if she wanted to be with you? Why don't you ask her to do that? See if she's willing to do that before you commit to moving to her country. I would recommend visiting the "Relationships" forum for more details.

Comment

gaijingirl,

Since it is highly unlikely that you had a bachelor's degree at 18, I'm guessing that you did that work on a working holiday visa (which doesn't require a degree, but is also not open to Americans). Does this match your qualifications and experience? Just trying to let Jason know.

Comment

I've hard that Nova has hired some teachers without college degrees.. Don't know if this is fact, but it's probably worth giving a shot. If not, there's always falsifying records. Good Luck!

Comment

If you love her , thats all that matters if you trust in the power of love everything will be allright in the end .You will find a job really easy, you learn the language really quick and you also get paid a lot more than others who don{t love their partner ,so come to Japan and love away /......

Comment

Working...
                              X