Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English schools

HI everyone,
    Just a quick question; im planning to teach english in Japan next year, but am having a little trouble finding many schools.

I've browsed the net and after missing out on AEON i am left with 2 alternatives at present (Im not planning on trying NOVA (reputation), and GEOS im not elegable for/don't want it).

The point is i want to do my full reserch before applying for any more positions, so if there are any other companies that recruit out of Japan (im in Australia) and are good i'd be very interested to know about them.

Thanks everyone

Oh, also is anyone here into Drift, and have they done/seen it while in Japan, as im really into this motorsport!

Re: English schools

The only places that recruit outside of Japan (that is, they interview you and sponsor your visa while you are still in your home country) are AEON, GEOS, ECC, NOVA, the JET Program, and Westgate Corporation.

Comment

hey Glenski, thanks for your reply. i forgot to mention in my initial post that i am also after...

Company Websites!!!!!

for these places. My mistake, but does anyone know the websites for ECC, Westgate and any other places.

Thanks again Glenski, and other ideas welcome from anyone!

cheers

Comment

ECC:

http://www.ecc.co.jp/htm/english/index.html

Comment

What a lot of people do, as you might have heard, is come here with one of the big Eikaiwa Schools (Nova, Geos, Aeon), get their 3 year working visa, and then look for work elsewhere. Since they give you your visa even before you enter Japan, there is nothing to stop you from immediately looking elsewhere. Ive heard stories that some people don't even bother meeting the Nova people at the airport. As soon as they land, they go off on their own. Don't worry, once you get your visa, its yours. No one can take it from you.

If you do decide to go with Nova...Don't live in a Nova apartment. They overcharge and you can't really quit Nova because then you won't have a place to live. Looking for a new job and accomodation at the same time is not fun. A gaijin house or a guest house would be a much better option, especially if Nova is just a temporary option.

Comment

Thanks guys all this is useful and the ECC site looks promising, but im still doing my research.

That point about getting the visa is a fair poiint and that kind of this has been told to me before, but i am the type of person who probably would'nt have the balls/would feel guilty to leave (unless things were really bad) so i would rather get things right at the start than plan on that, but thanks for the insight anyway

Comment

Why are you not eligible for GEOS? I heard a rumor that they stopped hiring from Australia and New Zealand. Is that true? If so, that is total bull ****. I worked for GEOS for 2 and a half years. My trainer was from Australia. While I don't recommend working for a converstion school as a career and have a number of reservations about it, it's alright for a year. I think an English conversation school is a good way to get started in Japan. Do what you have to have to do to get over here. Once you are over here, it's easy enough to change jobs.

Comment

From what i remember, i think they only hire for the kids schooling part of it, or somthing like that...?

Comment

Yep, GEOS Kids only hire teachers from Australia and New Zealand (and then they must speak with an American accent when teaching in class!) and the teachers for the adults are only hired in North American (and maybe London too??).

Actually, there are some other companies, aside from the ones mentioned above, that ocassionally do recruitment drives outside of Japan. These companies don't have offices based outside of Japan, but the recruiters spend a week or so in the country doing interviews from a room they hired out. Check your newspaper regularly and you should come across many advertisements for teachers in Japan.

For what it's worth, I worked for Nova and really liked it.

Comment

Working...
                  X