• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to Japan - will this work?

- Post removed for personal reasons -

Post Edited (02-23-04 16:24)

Re: Coming to Japan - will this work?

If you don't know any Japanese, and you plan to work in the IT field, you are going to find it extremely hard to find a job unless you land something with a non-Japanese outfit. See qualifications at www.jobseekjapan.com if you don't believe me.

With no Japanese skills, your real best bet is to teach English.

Six months to a year? You'd better plan on a minimum of at least a year. That's how long most contracts are.

What is a WHL? Did you mean WHV (working holiday visa)?

Comment

Yeah, WHV is what I'm going for, not sure why I typed WHL

Tbh my objectives have changed, im now treating this as an extended holiday. Leave my job for a year, head out to Japan, work where I can to see if I can make any cash while I'm out there, if not dig into my savings and enjoy it. I'm sure I'll find something I can do out there.

I guess I was going through a whole panic phase of quitting my job, tbh I don't care any more, I'm just going to enjoy it while I have the chance.

Thanks for the reply Glen.

Comment

I wouldn't quit the job (the S. stands for Steady Money!), but that's me. For real though, what is a brother going to do if him and ol girl break up? Will regret/homesickness set in? Computer Games Industry = Californ-i-a? I love visiting Japan, but...
        Good luck, brother. Enjoy life!

Comment

I can't even take that reply seriously. A kid that wants to bum around? That I am not. I work more hours than I care to even think about in this country, and quite frankly its killing me. A 5 day week with 8 hour days is my dream job. Your reply is really out of context in regards to this post.

Comment

Sorry downtown, but I think you missunderstand the purpose of the working holiday visa. This visa is not to allow people to come to the country and find full time jobs, its designed for the reason I am going, to allow people of other cultures to explore Japan and give them the ability to take work. There is no conflict of interest between the WHV and the type of visa you are talking about. To be honest, it is very benificial to Japan to have tourists from the UK spending there money in the Country, just as it is having Japanese tourists come to the UK.
            I realise I am in a fortunate position, but your points just dont have anything to do with this thread. Anyway, I mean no offense, take care of yourself.

Comment

The guy on the WHV pumps the money he earns back into the Japanese economy (sorry, my spelling is bad). The Asian worker may well be the one bringing his beer! People on WHV's do not go over to earn money and take it out of Japan, almost everything they do earn will go straight back in, and chances are they will also bring a load of savings into the country too. The Asian worker is more likely to earn the money and send it home to their own Country....

Comment

I`m sorry, but I am not aware of any other country in Asia other than South Korea that gets access to Working Holiday Visa.

And though DaividL is right to some extent about WHV holder ploughing money back into Japan`s economy, so does most of the Chinese students for example, who works part time jobs in Japan. They are using all their hard earned money to pay for their school fees and living cost. I have met a lot of WHV holders who earn yen in Japan to spend in other countries such as Thailand and Vietnam.

I am sure that Japan will still prefer that the tourists bring in all their cash from outside rather than making quite a large portion of them in Japan.

Comment

Working...
                X