X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice please.

Hi, I am new here. A little background. I got a position offer from nova (i know everyone hates them) and I would like to accept it.

Unfortunately, I have a pre-existing medical condition. Now, I do not know what I should do about the medical information sheet they ask for. I do not want to lie on it, because I think that it would be fairly easy to access the fact that I was in a hospital in the last 6 months.

On the other hand, I do not want to give them a reason to throw out my offer (even though its documented that the medical information wont affect my employment offer). I figure they could easily make something up, or just tell me I had not been accepted for the visa... or something. Which I wouldnt be able to figure out.

Anyway, So I am stuck. It seems like neither option is of any assurance. At the moment, I am leaning toward the idea of putting all of my information on there, and tellin them I plan on enrolling in NHI when I get to Japan.

I have actually talked to them about the whole NHI thing on the phone, which I feel like i shouldnt have done, but I somewhat feel was necessary. So now, ugh, I need some advice. I am leaning toward not falsifying anything because I do not want to commit any falsification of information.

On the other hand I dont think employers need to know all of my medical information, if I am not being insured through them.

Also, the forms say that I can send the medical information in seperately, but they seem to want that information pretty badly. So I dont know what all to think of that. At this point it seems like honesty is the best idea... anyone else have any input? I swear I will not hold you legally responsible for anything you say! Please, I need some advice... this feels like alot of stress. And please, save the nova bashing till another time. I am sure I will be able to join in.

Originally posted by gozi
    Also, the forms say that I can send the medical information in seperately, but they seem to want that information pretty badly. So I dont know what all to think of that. At this point it seems like honesty is the best idea... anyone else have any input? I swear I will not hold you legally responsible for anything you say! Please, I need some advice... this feels like alot of stress. And please, save the nova bashing till another time. I am sure I will be able to join in.
    This came up a couple of weeks ago. Just tell NOVA you can not take JMA as you have a pre-existing medical condition and they wont insure you. You are required by law to have medical insurance but are not required to be insured with JMA.

Get some kind of travel insurance including medical cover to tide you over until you get to Japan. If you get sick you will have to pay upfront to the doctors and claim a refund but in th meantime send them a copy of your travel insurance cover. You are NOT obliged to take NOVAs (the premiums at JMA are twice as much as NHI and they dont cover a lot of things in JMA).

You dont have to go into the sordid details of your medical condition but tell them you have insurance then sign up for NHI once you get here. NHI is cheap in the first year but goes up tenfold in the second based as premiums are based on your income.

PS All NOVA is worried about is you dying on them and being hospitalised at their expense, for if you get sick at work they could become partly liable for hospital expenses as it becomes work-related.
    Last edited by paulh; 2005-02-20, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X