avocado!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avocado!!!

alright, how the hell does one eat a friggin avocado? i mean, i bought one, it sat in my fridge for a week or two and turned all hard like a rock. so i decided to try and eat it. much to my dismay the seed (or whatever's in the center) is, in fact, the whole avocado! so trying to drive it out with my cheap little knife i ended up butchering my prized fruit (vegetable?) and had nothing left to eat. i also cut my finger wide open during the process and ended up pitching the entire operation. now i'm avocado-less. and that damn thing was damn expensive, too.

peel-ology

What the hell are you doing!!?!?

Avamocado 101:

With a sharp, 20cm-ish blade, using the huge-ass seed to guide the knife, slice the _____ in 1/2 length-wise.
    Put it in your palms & twist 'em apart. 1/2'll be holding the seed.
    Thwack the seed w/blade & hopefully, it'll stick in the seed, not your palm. (which it sounds like you may end up doing anyway, seeing your probs from the last attempt. Since we're using a nice heavy knife, it'll stick good.) If you successfully hit the seed, give it a twist to yank it out, kinda like a twist-off bottle.
    Grab a big spoon & run it along the edge so you can dump out the luscious meat.
    Eat it.

Comment

dun forget to put some lemon juice and salt on the thing..
      also put the lemon juice on real quick and eat it quicker
      otherwise the bloody thing will turn into a black mess.

if you put sugar on the damd thing you dont deserve to eat it anyway.

Comment

DON'T put your avocado in the fridge - it needs to ripen at room temperature, and then you need to eat it at the exact right moment.

DON'T squeeze your avocado to test if it is ripe - do you see where the stem goes into the fruit? Pull out the little bumpy plug thing there (if there is one) and gently poke your fingernail into the flesh - if it is soft, it is ripe.

DON'T let your avocado get over-ripe. They should not feel squishy when you pick them up - yuck!

And follow Lubes advice on how to open them - it's the only way in.

Comment

You can chop em up and add them to a salad.
          Or eat with rice and a bit of soy sauce.
          Or make guacamole by mixin it up with lime juice, salt, garlic and pepper. Then eat it with corn chips.

Don't be afraid! It's just an avocado.

Comment

You can also smear it on toast like butter. They on average cost around 150 yen or even less, so not so expensive. You can also tell if they are ripe by smelling them. The supermarkets and vegetable stores sell them while green (so they are hard), leave them out of the fridge and put in a spot with out so much light and they ripen pretty good.
            Last edited by SteadyRollingMan; 2006-03-03, 12:32 PM.

Comment

It's prety good mixed with lemon juice, garlic and a dash of Colemans mustard. You can get away with using some other version of English mustard but Dijon, German styles, honey mustard and so on don't really cut it. And don't even think of using that horrible American-style mustard sauce. No mustard? Try wasabi.

Soba

Comment

...or budget sashimi. Slice thickly & and pretend it's maguro.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions/advice. once my finger heals and my confidence in handling a knife returns i'll try my hand at it again.

Comment

Chef Ginpot Reveals Secrets!

Ingredients:

Avocado
                    Peanut Butter - crunchy/pure [no substitutions]
                    Bread

Preparation:

Cut avocado in half like above - slice/smush/scoop

Attach peanut butter to bread

Attach avocado to peanut butter and bread

Fold bread or, if a formal occasion, add another piece of bread on top - Voila!

Put in mouth - chew - swallow

yum

gg

Comment

for booker when he gets his finger back
                      http://www.hishealingways.com/avocado/avocado.html

Comment

mashed avocado and rice

Mash avocado with steamed rice and hot salsa - just before you eat - umm - oishii

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Ginpot
                          Ingredients:

Avocado
                          Peanut Butter - crunchy/pure [no substitutions]
                          Bread

Preparation:

Cut avocado in half like above - slice/smush/scoop

Attach peanut butter to bread

Attach avocado to peanut butter and bread

Fold bread or, if a formal occasion, add another piece of bread on top - Voila!

Put in mouth - chew - swallow

yum

gg

That sounds disgusting. Is it one of those things that sounds disgusting but is actually quite perfect if prepared the right way?? I might have to try it...does it work with vegemite??

Comment

Originally posted by sakurako
                            I might have to try it...does it work with vegemite??
                            Sounds good ... even better with Marmite! Why not try it with miso?

Soba

Comment

Avocado is just awesome. I put them in toasted sandwiches, salads, or spread them on toast.

J.T (certified avocado fanatic)

Comment

Working...
                              X