X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of food do Gaijin san like in Japan

I'm taking my American husnband to Japan this year for the first time to visit my family there. My concern is whether he can find food he likes over there. I can't remember whether or not MacDonald's hamburger tastes pretty much the same as the one in the States. Is there any decent pizza place in Japan? I had Domino pizza some years ago and thought that was awful. Is there any good and reasonalble steak house? What kind of food in Japan do Americans like?

Let me get this right: You and your husband are coming to Japan to eat American food? Uh, what would be the point?

Comment

okonomiyaki
      sukiyaki
      yakiniku
      anything yaki
      or
      sushi

stay away from the western food. otherwise what is the point?

Comment

Originally posted by eku
        okonomiyaki
        sukiyaki
        yakiniku
        anything yaki
        or
        sushi

stay away from the western food. otherwise what is the point?
        besides it's hard also to find a nice original taste western food here

and to OP, you're coming to japan to try out the McDonalds ?!

Comment

Now, as proper Texans and I am sure that your man is a manly Man.....ask for the only Sushi a manly Man would ask for in Japan:

Whale Anus.

Comment

pffffffffffffft.....

Originally posted by Gayclown...
            The chicken ain't bad in Tsukuba
            Damn you! i'm not gonna eat that!

Comment

Time:

Look at the positive aspects:

GayClown cannot have sex.......his pecker is on his face.
              Last edited by DukePharmD; 2007-01-16, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I knew I'll get some mean comments.
                thanks alot guys.

Comment

Originally posted by mikan
                  thanks alot guys.
                  I'll answer your questions. All the food you mention is available. McDonald's does have a few items they don't sell in the US but the standards (cheeseburger, Big Mac, etc) taste the same. Those are company standards worldwide, I believe.

I'd have the same concern if I had relatives visiting Japan for the first time from the US.

You didn't say where you were going in Japan. The bigger cities will have more western style food. For example Tokyo has TGI Friday's, Outback steak house (or so I hear), and lots of Wendy's outlets.

Volks is a good steakhouse chain. Brendan's Pizzakaya (in Azabu) has great pizza.

I remember the first time I went to Japan for a homestay while in was in college, on the first day, my host family gave me a HUGE plate of zaru-soba...it was the first time I'd ever had it, and I didn't like it much and couldn't finish it.

Comment

mean ? sorry...

thanks alot guys.
                    mean comments ?
                    hey..honestly, it wasn't meant to be 'mean' or even harsh. i was only thinking that you went to the quite extreme way there.
                    your questions are kinda confusing. are yourself a japanese ? seriously, it's like taking japanese to america and try to find a sushi place --which they'll almost definitely will compare the food with the original one they had in their country --which is mostly 'not quite good' and will lead into 'criticizing' the food itself. guess you wouldn't want that happen as it would lead into such an uncomfortable situation.

as personal experience, i also didn't feel comfortable when someone -even my h- trying so hard to find the food that's so 'out of the place' cos they think i can never take a new taste. the same as a lot of japanese acting surprised when they saw i can use chopsticks and eat miso shiru.

i was trying to suggest you to let him try some japanese food that -you think- isn't 'so japanese' like soba, sushi, raw food section etc.
                    and yes, what eku suggested there could be considered 'safe' enough. anything yaki.

and you can ask him also and giving the description of food. it helps for me. and let him decide.
                    mind you, you can actually find a lot of fine original japanese restaurant around the world nowadays. he might have actually tried out some of those -even he would want to try the real original version or he despised it. let him choose.

cheers.

Comment

I'm taking my American husnband to Japan this year for the first time to visit my family there. My concern is whether he can find food he likes over there. I can't remember whether or not MacDonald's hamburger tastes pretty much the same as the one in the States. Is there any decent pizza place in Japan? I had Domino pizza some years ago and thought that was awful. Is there any good and reasonalble steak house? What kind of food in Japan do Americans like?
                      Just tell him to imagine everything is chocolate and he should be fine. If he doesn't like fish so much a handy hip flask of Sake is always helpful to wash the rubbery stuff down with.

Food is such a highly localized thing that you would be better off looking at the gurume section of Yahoo Japan for the area in which you are going to visit to get an idea of places to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Time22
                        mean comments ?
                        hey..honestly, it wasn't meant to be 'mean' or even harsh. i was only thinking that you went to the quite extreme way there.
                        your questions are kinda confusing. are yourself a japanese ? seriously, it's like taking japanese to america and try to find a sushi place --which they'll almost definitely will compare the food with the original one they had in their country --which is mostly 'not quite good' and will lead into 'criticizing' the food itself. guess you wouldn't want that happen as it would lead into such an uncomfortable situation.
                        Gaijin in Japan are used to travelling and trying new things. It's normal for us. Not so for the general population of the US. My parents have never visited me in Japan. One of the reasons they haven't come is that they are afraid they won't be able to find anything they can eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonky
                          Gaijin in Japan are used to travelling and trying new things. It's normal for us. Not so for the general population of the US. My parents have never visited me in Japan. One of the reasons they haven't come is that they are afraid they won't be able to find anything they can eat.
                          and they'd be surprised to find 'something' they would actually fond of eventually.
                          dang...they got to eat 'something'. that's the nature of surviving, right ?

Comment

Some Gaijin-san, upon arriving in Nippon from another country, will announce what foods they can and cannot eat. Others will closely examine foods new to them, asking detailed questions about the contents, then announce if they will eat it or not. Some will freak out at the sight of an octopus leg or a whole fish at the supermarket.

Some people have open minds and others don’t. If your Gaijin-san is the kind of guy who doesn’t like to try new things, take him to a burger place every day.
                            Last edited by rubirosa; 2007-01-17, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I met some new Nova recruits from America in a bar a few years ago. They asked me what was good so I ordered them some and instructed them to eat it head first.

I was impressed that they had no reservation in eating the fish head first.

Comment

Working...
                              X