Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

How much does a typical movie ticket cost (in tokyo)?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a typical movie ticket cost (in tokyo)?

Hello

I plan to go to Tokyo early next June for about 1 or 2 months. And since i'm a big movie buff i was just wondering how much would a tipical movie ticket cost. Over here (USA) i pay only 6 bucks (Y722) but that's only because i'm a student, soon i will have to pay $7.50 (Y903) for an adult ticket.

So when i get over there will i see similar prices? Or will i have to pay something like Y1500 or even Y2000?

thanks for the help.

Re: How much does a typical movie ticket cost (in tokyo)?

Tickets are about Y1600 to Y1800. However, if you are only going to be in Tokyo for 1-2 months, it is possible that there won't be any movies released that you haven't already seen. There is about a 3-6 month lag from the time that movies are released in North America and their release in Japan (all those subtitles take time, you know).

Comment

Los Angeles ticket prices are about $9. The really amazing thing in Japan is the price of the tiny tiny popcorn, candy and sodas. And the fact that they sell souveniers at the theater.

Release dates are not always that far behind. Charlie's Angels, James Bond, and many more have same day release that actually makes it seem like its a day earlier than in the US.

And don't forget there are Japanese and other "foreign" films to see. Check out http://www.returner.net/ for an example of a high budget action looking film that was never released in the US.

Comment

Alyssa

Ok, that's a good price i guess (since it is a city area). Even though i'm a big movie buff I still don't see everything that i'm a able to see. So while i'm in japan i could always see movies that I missed. Or i can just see big movies that are released the same day over there (like amazed said).

amazed

I already saw Returner. But its only been a few months since i started to like Jpanaese and Korean movies, so i have not seen everything that's great yet. I really want to see Battle Royale 2 even if its just crappy fanservice.

Anyways thanks for the help. But... i have one more question. I heard that there are some movie theaters that release subtitle (in english) japanese films, is this true? And if so, can any of you list the names of these theaters?

I know my trip won't happen till a long time but it's always good to be prepared. Plus there is a good chance that i might be going this winter with a friend for a few weeks aswell.

Comment

There are discount days for movies, too. Usually, the first day of the month (but everyone and his brother wants to get in that day).

First showing and last showing of the day are also usually discount periods.

Comment

Really? that's good to know. Kinda odd but still good to know, I don't mind crowds anyways.

Comment

There are also many shops in places like Shinjuku, Ebisu, etc that sell movie tickets at a discount. The other day, I bought the 'Pirates of the Carribean' ticket for 1300 Yen which is a 500 Yen discount (price at the theatre is 1800 yen). This is a new release. I saw other discount movie tickets for about 900 Yen - I forget the name, but some sort of cartoon like show.

Sometimes at the movie theatre, they will pass out flyers containing a coupon good for 200 yen off.

-K
              ---
              Live, work, travel and play in Asia.
              http://www.adventurasia.com

Comment

You say that you dont mind crowds....but would u like to watch a movie standing up??

In Japan many movie theaters sell more tickets than they have seats....as a result for popular movies/times u need to go real early to get a seat. And remember Japanese people dont seem to mind queueing for stuff for a while....so get there early!!

Comment

Really? Wow! Over here (by law) movie theaters are not allowed to sell a certain amount of tickets, because they have to follow the building code on how many people can be in the theater room at a time.

Is that not unsafe? Anyways that kinda sucks then.

Thanks for the tip then.

Comment

Building codes for crowded places. Yeah, right. That's true in other countries, but when you ride your first subway or train at rush hour and notice that it's packed with 4 times the legal limit, and they have people on staff to PUSH MORE IN... well, you get the message.

Oh, and with movie theaters where I live (Sapporo), they assign seats, so you can't choose where you want to sit.

Comment

Ladies' Day

Not sure of your gender, but if you're female you can take advantage of Ladies Day (the first Wednesday of every month) at almost all theatres in Tokyo. Women pay only 1000yen for any movie ticket that day.

Comment

There are many English newspapers, magazines and websites that provide movie listings and reviews. If you want to get an impression on the current listing for Tokyo, you can for example take a look at Metropolis:

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tok...ent/movies.asp

Comment

Working...
                        X