X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMOKING IN JAPAN....problem?

So I'll eventually be moving to Tokyo, Japan in a few months.

I've heard that Japan has a huge smoking problem. Is this true? I HATE SMOKING with a passion, and after living in 100% smoking ban States for my entire life, I'm wondering just how bad the smoking problem is in Japan. Do most restaurants and public spaces in Japan allow smoking?

I forced my Japanese boyfriend to quit smoking, which he now has been smoke free for almost two years! I just really hope the smoking isn't too out of control there. I remember being warned that Paris, France was horrible about smoking, but I found it totally manageable and about the same as NYC when it came to smokers.

I heard there were smoking bans being enforced in Japan, but I'm wonder how well that is going, since the country is notorious for being smoker-friendly.

Thanks, guys!

I never liked smokers but I didn`t hate them until I came to Japan. Here, in Japan, I started hating them. Because I can`t escape it. They are everywhere. And their stinky smell too. Almost all restaurants, except very fancy French ones, have smoking/non-smoking areas. They are not separated by the wall and the smell is going around. Only some coffee shops recently have a smoking area that is closed, it is a special room. All fast food restaurants, including Mac, have smoking areas. I recommend you to find places where non-smoking areas are separated from smoking by walls, doors or located on different floors.
    Last edited by let`s talk; 2009-09-29, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by let`s talk View Post
      I never liked smokers but I didn`t hate them until I came to Japan. Here, in Japan, I started hating them. Because I can`t escape it. They are everywhere. And their stinky smell too. Almost all restaurants, except very fancy French ones, have smoking/non-smoking areas. They are not separated by the wall and the smell is going around. Only some coffee shops recently have a smoking area that is closed, it is a special room. All fast food restaurants, including Mac, have smoking areas. I recommend you to find places where non-smoking areas are separated from smoking by walss, doors or located on different floors.
      Ugh, well, thanks for the heads up. I just want to know what to expect. I'm a health nut, so I hope most of the macrobiotic/vegan/health oriented places in Japan will have the smoking slightly under control. I'm more concerned about bookstores and libraries, which is where I'd probably spend most of my time.

I've been told the Japanese government is extremely corrupt (like most governments!), and that's one of the reasons for the smoking obsession in Japan...

Comment

Originally posted by millefleur View Post
        Ugh, well, thanks for the heads up. I just want to know what to expect. I'm a health nut, so I hope most of the macrobiotic/vegan/health oriented places in Japan will have the smoking slightly under control. I'm more concerned about bookstores and libraries, which is where I'd probably spend most of my time.

I've been told the Japanese government is extremely corrupt (like most governments!), and that's one of the reasons for the smoking obsession in Japan...
        Bookstores and libraries are no problem.

Yes, the government is corrupt. It controls Japan Tobacco and as the result it smells and stinks everywhere.

Comment

It's not great here, but it has actually gotten better. Many places will have designated enclosed smoking areas, and even some places have banned smoking outdoors!

You will have to live with the fact that many people do smoke here. And, even if you ask for a non-smoking section in a restaurant, you may see the waiter/waitress simply remove the ash tray from your table.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCdRk0o5yk
            Attached Files

Comment

japan = smoker's paradise

many times it's unavoidable. and you'll certainly won't be able to go one day without inhaling some second hand smoke...
              smoking stands are usually place so that non-smokers have to pass through them. in front of convenient stores, in front of grocery stores...etc.

there's actually a law against smoking in public in non-designated areas, but it's not enforced, just a make-feel-good law...welcome to japan!

Comment

I sometimes don't even need to smoke for hours
                all i have to do is walk outside and inhale deeply for my nicotine fix

Comment

Yes, there are smoking areas that are sometimes separated by walls, but they usually have the ventilation system backwards. They blow the smoke out of the smoking area into the non-smoking area. Simply flipping the fan will turn it into a sucking fan that blows the smoke out the top of the restaurant instead of a blowing fan that pushes the smoke towards the non-smokers.

Comment

If you're going anywhere by Shinkansen, try to avoid the "No Smoking" car that's next to the "Smoking" car. A lot of smokers don't like sitting in a smokey atmosphere, so they'll sit in "No Smoking" and wander to the smoking car when they crave a tab. Then they'll drag all the smell and fumes back with them when they return to their seat. It can be nasty, and there's nowhere to go...

Comment

Originally posted by millefleur View Post

Who smokes in a library?

God, you people must be fun to hang out with .... let's ban anything slightly fun or risky, then we'll never die!

Comment

Originally posted by ben ali View Post
                        Who smokes in a library?

God, you people must be fun to hang out with .... let's ban anything slightly fun or risky, then we'll never die!
                        you consider smoking "fun and risky"? do you perhaps work for a tobacco company?

Comment

Originally posted by Akuma View Post
                          you consider smoking "fun and risky"? do you perhaps work for a tobacco company?
                          Sex outside is fun and risky. Where do I work?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius_II View Post
                            in roppongi...?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius_II View Post
                              Fuji Safari Park?

Comment

Working...
                              X