X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• known Japanese karate forms

Just curious as to what was common or available for martial arts in Japan these days. I am interested in only Japanese arts but feel free to list others as long as they are also defined with origins..

I may be wrong on some of these, so please correct me. :-) I only know a few off the top of my head and maybe not J?..

Shotokan
    Aikido
    Kendo
    Taido (took taido for 7 years when I was a kid)
    Ninjutsu ? Is this really an art that someone would want to take? In the USA there are a ton of hack schools claiming to teach it.
    Judo

???

How is your Katra????

Originally posted by jron View Post
    Ninjutsu ? Is this really an art that someone NORMAL would want to take?.
    ummm, no. Hence it's popularity in Scotland.

You forgot Miyagi-Do Karate. There are 3 or 4 very easy to watch instructional videos out there.

Wax On!

Wax Off!

Paint Za Fensu!!!!!!!!

Depending on how those old joints are holding up, I would recommend Judo.

Great exercise, nice people, good fun.

If my wrists could take it, I would be Ippon-ing as we speak.

Nobody normal really takes Karate, btw.

Mostly just angry twerps that think Karate lessons will ease all the pain of being bullied at school.

But there's really only one thing that does that, and it's not Karate.

A lot of them are quite nice guys, but yeah...........Karate.......................mrfl mrfl.

Comment

Jron there are many flavours of karate here
      Shotokan
      Wado Ryu
      ____oryu
      Kyokushinkai
      Gojuryu
      and many other styles

Other Japanese martial arts are
      Iaido - drawing of the sword
      Kyudo - archery
      Jujitsu

As for Kurogane's comments about karate I'd take that with a pinch of salt - he's biased! Judo is great for a work out and for ground work but I've picked up more injuries in Judo in a year than I have in a lifetime of karate.

It depends on what you want to get out of doing in a martial art as to which one you should look to. Then's there's the question of availability in your local area. I was surprised to find that there's no Shotokan clubs within 50 km of where I am.

Comment

Only a pinch???????????

Great comments, Biking.

Interesting about the Judo injuries (condolences included, of course).

I can certainly see lots of sprains, twists, and all sorts of falling related injuries, which is why I have to pass. I have wimpy wrists, and lots of surgeries.

Karate always struck me as much more intensive with contact injuries, like shin bruises. Seems to be a great workout.

And yeah, I kinda wanted to use that Kramer picture...........

I wonder how Aikido is for that.

But then we're back to the participatory personality type problem.

Also, is Shotokan not a regional thing????

It's all I hear about Out Here (Western Canada), but its popularity seems to have a direct inverse relationship with mental normality.

Apparently it is "Real Karate" (insert groan).

I think I have been very unlucky in the Karate afficionados I have met, both here and in Japan. About 14% normal/nice, the rest..............wanky.

PS you forgot to mention Miyagi-Do, too!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by kurogane; 2011-09-29, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
          Great comments, Biking.

Interesting about the Judo injuries (condolences included, of course).

I can certainly see lots of sprains, twists, and all sorts of falling related injuries, which is why I have to pass. I have wimpy wrists, and lots of surgeries.

Karate always struck me as much more intensive with contact injuries, like shin bruises. Seems to be a great workout.

And yeah, I kinda wanted to use that Kramer picture...........

I wonder how Aikido is for that.

But then we're back to the participatory personality type problem.

Also, is Shotokan not a regional thing????

It's all I hear about Out Here (Western Canada), but its popularity seems to have a direct inverse relationship with mental normality.

Apparently it is "Real Karate" (insert groan).

I think I have been very unlucky in the Karate afficionados I have met, both here and in Japan. About 14% normal/nice, the rest..............wanky.

PS you forgot to mention Miyagi-Do, too!!!!!!!!!!!
          I've been in Shotokan for over 30 years now and was sad that I could not continue on a regular basis where I am here in inaka Ibaraki! I've taken up a full-contact style that is hard on an older body like mine but if you train in the right manner it is manageable. I've only had a couple of very minor injuries in over 30 years and they were normally inflicted by over enthusiastic youngsters.

Aikido is good for those with weaker joints and older. I cannot say that I am an expert having only trained for a year here in Japan about 20 years ago. It's softer than judo on the body but there's still a lot of break falling to be done and you can get injured easily if you are not careful or if your partner is either not skilled or a little over zealous! There are two major schools of Aikido with one being the soft style as originally developed and the second is a much harder combative style that developed with O-Sensei passed!

Karate, Judo, Aikido, Kendo, etc. are all very good work outs. If you are into the mental side and the "spiritual" side of Japanese martial arts then Kyudo and Iaido are the ones - not really a work out but very formal. My wife does Kyudo and I have been to a local Iaido dojo here located within the Kashima shrine - looks like something I might looked into when my body cannot withstand the karate any more!

Comment

I believe the only "recognized" ninjitsu art is Togakure ryu. You also have Nippon Kemp, Shorinji Kempo, Seidokaikan, Kushukaikan and a hundred-thousand others.

Comment

Originally posted by jron View Post
              Just curious as to what was common or available for martial arts in Japan these days. I am interested in only Japanese arts but feel free to list others as long as they are also defined with origins..

I may be wrong on some of these, so please correct me. :-) I only know a few off the top of my head and maybe not J?..

Shotokan
              Aikido
              Kendo
              Taido (took taido for 7 years when I was a kid)
              Ninjutsu ? Is this really an art that someone would want to take? In the USA there are a ton of hack schools claiming to teach it.
              Judo

???
              I would add Shorinji Kenpo which is quite popular. It's the Japanese version of Shaorin Kung-fu. I did it for a few years, so if you need history and stuff just pm me. In the UK I also had one lesson of something called shotokai karate. As a shotokan karate person I thought it was complete balls, but the guys doing it insisted it was a legitimate branch of karate...

Comment

Aikido.

Excellent for fitness (and wont leave the body all gnarly and arthritic 20 years later.. in fact, it repairs all sorts of damage)

Excellent atmosphere while training.. no aggression and competitiveness (not if it is the real thing)

Some self defense benefits ( limited)

Helps hone extremely beneficial people and life skills.

You can do it until you are way old (in fact you will probably live longer because of it as well)

Comment

almost none of the stuff you listed in the original post is karate

karate is an okinawan art that was modernized in japan around the late 1800's and early 1900's

there are dozens of karate styles. some of them are weak and useless due to introduction of women's kata contests and the like. shotokan is bad for this.

a few i can think of off the top of my head..

wado ryu
                  goju ryu
                  shotokan
                  kyokushin (extremely strong, tough stuff)

as for other martial arts..

ninjutsu exists but it's not really a martial art. ninjutsu as practiced by organizations like the bujinkan is a little bit funky - well, specifically the bujinkan is a big money making BS factory. most of the people in it couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. however, the grandmaster of the organization has legitimate ninjutsu techniques under his belt. basically ninjutsu techniques are mostly based around hiding, escaping, or moving (for example moving unseen, climbing trees, swimming methods, etc). the ninjutsu is mostly separate from the taijutsu / jujutsu.

there's an organization called the genbukan that teaches jujutsu and ninjutsu together and their students are more serious - those guys train hard and don't put up with stupid hippie crap like the bujinkan. their credibility is attacked all the time but you cannot argue with their fighting skill, they will seriously mop the floor with you. the higher level students train in some pretty crazy stuff.

there's also the jinenkan which is sort of a branch off of the bujinkan before the bujinkan turned into a piece of crap. good training but a little bit shotokan-esque in their reliance on kata.

besides ninjutsu, there is also aikido and aikijutsu. i believe the widely accepted grandmaster of daito ryu aikijujutsu is living in koto ku in tokyo, he runs a dojo there.
                  aikido is everywhere. most of it is crap. every once in a while you can find a good teacher though.

for sword arts there are dozens all around kantou. yagyu shingan, yagyu shinkage, tenshin shoden katori shinto, komagawa kaishin ryu, etc. all of them in kantou. most of those sword arts have jujutsu and other weapon systems built into them as well. some of the dojo are better than others - some are kata factories, others are fantastic and the head guys of one of them is possibly the fastest man on the planet, i've seen him with my own eyes and trained with him, and it was unbelievable, some of the things he could do.

other than that there are boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, bjj clubs all over the place in every city with a population over 500,000

Comment

Fight-dou is all the rage now at fitness clubs, i hear, nowadays.....

But, since it's Brazilian in origin, it's probably not legit in anyone's book of martial arts..!

Comment

You guys are totally forgetting Rex Kwan Do.

http://youtu.be/Hzh9koy7b1E

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxbox View Post
                        almost none of the stuff you listed in the original post is karate

karate is an okinawan art that was modernized in japan around the late 1800's and early 1900's

there are dozens of karate styles. some of them are weak and useless due to introduction of women's kata contests and the like. shotokan is bad for this.
                        Sorry should have been more open in my request..
                        I am interested in knowing what forms of Japanese martial arts and not just pure karate forms..
                        In the US we tend to just use "karate" as a blanket term covering just about all martial arts..
                        My bad..

My exposure to Japanese arts in Japan has been extremely limited and I am trying to understand a little better. I recently spoke to a J friend who was into "karate" and I was confused by his names and descriptions.. So I am trying to learn a little more. Definitely different than here in the states (lol. where Taiquando rules and you can buy that blackbelt in under 2 years guaranteed!!!)

Once I move to Japan I would like to start taking some form or other that's not so bad on an old-fart's body full of metal hardware and arthritis cause by so many broken bones I lost count.. :-P I am thinking that Aikido will be the way I go unless I join my friend's school.

Comment

you guys are totally forgetting kusarigama-jutsu (sickle and chain) :P
                          naginata and bojutsu too!

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxbox View Post
                            tenshin shoden katori shinto,
                            lock thread!

Comment

lol.. Thanks for all the great information guys.. Its a subject that's a little isolated from the USA as we are so full of junk schools over here. The J schools seem to be the best from a real art perspective, almost all the rest are cr*p..

I think I will pursue Aikido when I move to Japan early next year. There are some schools around here but they are kinda far away and difficult to get to. If I live in Yokohama I may try my friend's dojo that he attends. I will have to ask him exactly what art it is. It wasn't Aikido it was karate-<something>.. lol.. We were kinda drunk at that time.. :-P But he brought up both his son's in the art so I wouldn't f*ck with any of them...
                              :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X