X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best gyms (for body building)

Complete newbie so forgive me if this has been discussed before - Which are the best gyms for body building?

I'm looking for one in the Shibuya area. Also where to buy supplements/protein in and around the area? If anyone could provide any info that would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by jukjuk View Post
    Complete newbie so forgive me if this has been discussed before - Which are the best gyms for body building?

I'm looking for one in the Shibuya area. Also where to buy supplements/protein in and around the area? If anyone could provide any info that would be much appreciated.
    You will want to check out the place before you buy a membership, but in my experience, Konami is the best chain. However, be advised that some establishments are really lacking on the free weight department. So, take the free tour before signing up as with the cheapest option you can only go to one particular gym.

As for supplements, order online. Japanese prices are quite high. This one was great. Recommended.

Originally posted by Dinocracy View Post
    After 15 years of ordering protein online, the following is the cheapest I have found.

http://www.livewhey.com/

I can vouch for the quality of the premium type.

Comment

Regular canned Tuna has about 30-40 grams of protein.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
        Regular canned Tuna has about 30-40 grams of protein.
        Yes, it is quite high in protein. I've eaten probably a ton of it already. The bad thing with tuna though is that since tuna is near the top of the food chain the mercury level is quite high as well. Assuming one doesn't eat a ton they should be okay.

OP, there is a Kuyakusho gym not far from Otemachi station. It has a pretty good selection of weights, machines, bikes and even a punching bag. It costs 500 yen to enter.
        Last edited by LD2; 2012-01-30, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Cheers guys, much appreciated!!!

Comment

The best bodybuilding gym would be Golds gym in harajuku. It's one stop away from Shibuya on the yamamote line.
            I have been there before and it is awesome. I am right into bodybuilding and I had trouble in the begining trying to find a decent gym, plus a gym that would accept tattos. Golds is great! I go to the Higashi-nakano one and I love it. The dumbells go all the way to 200 lbs. I pay 10500\ a month for my gym. It's a little pricey but well worth it for me here in japan.
            Golds is the Mecca, it has a great atmosphere to.

Comment

Originally posted by The Myth View Post
              The best bodybuilding gym would be Golds gym in harajuku. It's one stop away from Shibuya on the yamamote line.
              I have been there before and it is awesome. I am right into bodybuilding and I had trouble in the begining trying to find a decent gym, plus a gym that would accept tattos. Golds is great! I go to the Higashi-nakano one and I love it. The dumbells go all the way to 200 lbs. I pay 10500\ a month for my gym. It's a little pricey but well worth it for me here in japan.
              Golds is the Mecca, it has a great atmosphere to.
              ^this, I haven't spent much time in Japan but I went to Gold's when I was there in Kyoto, they also have 200lb dumbells. They also have a lot of bodybuilder oriented equipment "vs lightweight plastic pieces garbage", lots of PLATE-LOADED machines, which is ideal for bodybuilders AND ATMOSPHERE! the Kyoto Gold's always had competitions/training videos on the TVs instead of showing ____ like dramas are movies that make people sit around and hog equipment.
              They had a lat-pullover a machine "not a lat pulldown" which is a VERY rare piece of equipment today. It's one of the machines that Dorian Yates used to build his GIANT wings. The fact that they went out of their way to provide the best equipment, and create an atmosphere geared towards hard work made me fall in love with this gym. It was better than most of the gyms I have been to in the US.

Comment

Gold's gym and also is 24hrs. Can go there before work.
                Japanese gyms suck they open too late (at 10am). already when I am having my midday lunch.

Comment

Jeez i need to get into a gym and get in shape!

Comment

Thanks guys, finally settled in, it took longer than expected to get the essentials (kitting out the apartment, alien card, bank account, etc) sorted out so finally get a chance to revisit this thread. Am living in Harajuku, checked out the Golds Gym in Harajuku as some of you suggested but blimey it's expensive!!!!

Currently making do with my TRX set at home but it's not a lot of fun. What are my other options in and around Harajuku? Help!!

Comment

Originally posted by jukjuk View Post
                      Thanks guys, finally settled in, it took longer than expected to get the essentials (kitting out the apartment, alien card, bank account, etc) sorted out so finally get a chance to revisit this thread. Am living in Harajuku, checked out the Golds Gym in Harajuku as some of you suggested but blimey it's expensive!!!!

Currently making do with my TRX set at home but it's not a lot of fun. What are my other options in and around Harajuku? Help!!
                      Lots of bodybuilders it seems. What are you guys doing for suppliments and protien? Any leads on some online shops or walk-in stores in Japan?

Comment

If you take the train to go to the gym is it acceptable to take the train in gym clothes?

Comment

Originally posted by mishima1970 View Post
                          If you take the train to go to the gym is it acceptable to take the train in gym clothes?
                          Yes.

Comment

Gasp, the dreaded punani you say?!

Originally posted by mishima1970 View Post
                            Don't do it. You'll surely look a fool and might even have to make friends, even with a woman! It's not worth it man...

Comment

Going against millions of years of evolution, the unique Japanese woman... Ah huck

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                              Yes.

Here's a question to bodybuilders in Japan since so many echo this mantra: do Japanese women not prefer muscled dudes? Do you find it harder than the average bear to find women (or better they find you)?

I think someone saying women not liking muscles is the same as saying women don't like dikc. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X