X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Infection medication

Hi, sorry if this is too gross or personal, but I need help with it.

I have had recurrent and persistent yeast infections since coming to Japan. It's happened 3 times since I got to Japan (about 10 months ago), each time lasting 1-3 months.

My doctor said that there is only one medicine available in Japan for yeast infections. It is called Empecid. It's a vaginal suppository (like the Monistat pills in the US), and consists of 5-6 days worth of medication. When I go in, he gives me the meds and tells me to come back if it's not better when they are finished. He just keeps giving me the same thing over and over, even if I come back like 6 times. He doesn't seem concerned.

I am extremely frustrated and would like to go to another doctor, but first I wanted to ask if anyone here has heard of or taken anything available in Japan other than Empecid.

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by sface View Post

I have had recurrent and persistent yeast infections since coming to Japan. It's happened 3 times since I got to Japan (about 10 months ago), each time lasting 1-3 months.

My doctor said that there is only one medicine available in Japan for yeast infections. It is called Empecid. It's a vaginal suppository (like the Monistat pills in the US), and consists of 5-6 days worth of medication. When I go in, he gives me the meds and tells me to come back if it's not better when they are finished. He just keeps giving me the same thing over and over, even if I come back like 6 times. He doesn't seem concerned.

I am extremely frustrated and would like to go to another doctor, but first I wanted to ask if anyone here has heard of or taken anything available in Japan other than Empecid.

Thanks for any help.
    He is treating the symptoms rather than the problem itself. Either way, its not a happy affliction to have. Google "Vaginal pH" to get an understanding about how to be more proactive in dealing with the problem rather than the symptoms. Be aware that vaginal pH varies over a woman's lifetime; menopausal women and women with shorter periods are generally more prone to infection than the rest of the female population. Do the reading and you will get a better understanding of how it all works. Using pessaries/suppositories seems to be a short term solution for you. Do you use soap? Best to avoid or switch to a pH neutral product like Neutrogena, not sure if it is available in Japan.

Here are some common sense links where you can begin your research.
    http://women.webmd.com/10-ways-to-pr...ast-infections
    http://women.webmd.com/vaginal-wet-mount

Comment

Yeast Infections in Japan:
      *There is no over-the-counter medication for yeast infections in Japan. If you are planning to move here and are prone to them, I suggest you bring along a supply. You may want to bring along some probiotic supplements, too, if you imagine you might be taking antibiotics during your time here.
      *If you are already here, find a womenfs clinic. They are often called gLadiesh clinics. In a sizable city, you should be able to find one easily with a little help. If you have a yeast infection, they will test you on the spot and give you your first treatment. However, they will likely ask you to come back either every day for a week, or again in another week. If that is an inconvenience for you, ask if you can take the rest of the suppositories home to treat yourself. In my experience, they will give you a suppository for the internal irritation and a cream for the external irritation.
      *Last resort: if for some reason the above options arenft available to you, Ifd suggest yogurt. Find a brand with ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR (this can be found in just about any grocery store, and youfd be able to double check by tasting the difference if you tested it beforehand). Then make your own suppositories. Suggestions: fill a tampon applicator with yogurt and insert it, removing the applicator afterward; coat a (non-applicator) tampon with yogurt and insert it; freeze tiny yogurt popsicles and insert. After freezing it, and removed ALL the wrapping very carefully, round any sharp edges with a warm hand and insert it.
      *In Japanese gshinkinsei chitsuenh ^ېS; Candidiasis is gkanjitah JW^

http://tipsforgaijins.wordpress.com/...ting-in-japan/

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii View Post
        *There is no over-the-counter medication for yeast infections in Japan. If you are planning to move here and are prone to them, I suggest you bring along a supply. You may want to bring along some probiotic supplements, too, if you imagine you might be taking antibiotics during your time here.
        *If you are already here, find a womenfs clinic. They are often called gLadiesh clinics. In a sizable city, you should be able to find one easily with a little help. If you have a yeast infection, they will test you on the spot and give you your first treatment. However, they will likely ask you to come back either every day for a week, or again in another week. If that is an inconvenience for you, ask if you can take the rest of the suppositories home to treat yourself. In my experience, they will give you a suppository for the internal irritation and a cream for the external irritation.
        *Last resort: if for some reason the above options arenft available to you, Ifd suggest yogurt. Find a brand with ABSOLUTELY NO SUGAR (this can be found in just about any grocery store, and youfd be able to double check by tasting the difference if you tested it beforehand). Then make your own suppositories. Suggestions: fill a tampon applicator with yogurt and insert it, removing the applicator afterward; coat a (non-applicator) tampon with yogurt and insert it; freeze tiny yogurt popsicles and insert. After freezing it, and removed ALL the wrapping very carefully, round any sharp edges with a warm hand and insert it.

Good advice. If the yoghurt trick does not work and you are prone to experimentation, you may have better results with a tampon that's been dipped in white vinegar (aka. acetic acid) or lemon juice. You may need to do this regularly, even when you are not having your period. Avoid using malt vinegar or any kind of vinegar that is cloudy coloured.

A low pH vagina provides a hostile environment for bacteria and fungi. If you go the path of yoghurt, it is best to use yoghurt that contains lactobacteria rather than the acidophilus variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii View Post

Actually, a couple years ago they started offering over the counter YI treatments in Japan -- however there is only one kind and it's normally more expensive then what it would cost to go to a doctor and get the medicine.

I hear yogurt works very well but it sounds messy. A freshly pealed clove of garlic inserted as a suppository also works to kill yeast. (Best to use at bedtime)

the OP though I would guess may not actually have a YI but rather something else like BV or the like and the doctor is mistreating it. I had a friend here in Japan have horror stories with doctors giving the wrong treatments etc and she kept going back and forth between a YI and BV for six months-- sounds horrible.

Maybe try another doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
            A freshly pealed clove of garlic inserted as a suppository also works to kill yeast.

Ha, ha! I'd heard the one about the guy whose friend tells him to sprinkle tea leaves around his a*se hole to cure piles. He then goes to an Indian doctor who explains that he can't do anything about the man's piles, but tells the man he is going on a long journey...

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
              Actually, a couple years ago they started offering over the counter YI treatments in Japan -- however there is only one kind and it's normally more expensive then what it would cost to go to a doctor and get the medicine.

I hear yogurt works very well but it sounds messy. A freshly pealed clove of garlic inserted as a suppository also works to kill yeast. (Best to use at bedtime)

the OP though I would guess may not actually have a YI but rather something else like BV or the like and the doctor is mistreating it. I had a friend here in Japan have horror stories with doctors giving the wrong treatments etc and she kept going back and forth between a YI and BV for six months-- sounds horrible.

Maybe try another doctor?
              I have no idea. lol

I was just googling for STD tests in Japan and found this blog and remembered someone was looking for yeast infection help so I copy/pasted it.

Comment

Originally posted by sface View Post

Thanks for any help.
                Your doctor is wrong. Ask him to prescribe you Pekiron cream, it is an external cream and will work in about 3-4 days. Good luck. More info and a photo of it here: http://www.rad-ar.or.jp/siori/english/kekka.cgi?n=1331

Alternatively if you don't want to go to a hospital and don't mind waiting a week for postage, you can get Canesten cream from a UK website, who deliver to Japan with free delivery. You can pay in $, , Yen etc. Costs 880Y ex-VAT. http://www.echemist.co.uk/p-canesten-thrush-cream
                Last edited by Sparkles1; 2012-05-19, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X