kawasaki

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kawasaki

Anybody ever been here? How many minutes by train to Shinjuku? To Ogikubo in suginami-ku?

Re: kawasaki

My Palm shows that;

6 Station(s) - No connection
    Time about 10 min.

At Shinju-ku
    Take JR CHOU-SOBU line
    Direction to Mitaka
    Get off at Ogikubo

Anyway I have no idea for suginami-ku But there is only one Ogikubo in Tokyo.

Have good and short travel.

Comment

Can also take Marunouchi subway, direct from Shinjuku, ends at Ogikubo.

bla - Ogikubo is in Suginami-ku.

Comment

trip hop,

I don't know most placese in Tokyo by name, I found difficulty to remember. I have MetrO (Tokyo-Yokohama) in my Palm V.

All of the is in ROMAJI character.

If anyone interested they can download from http://nanika.net/Metro/

It is very useful.

Thank you for telling me Ogikubo is in Suginami-ku. Well may be oneday I will visit))

Comment

Bla - I have used Kodansha's Tokyo City Atlas since it came out. Bilingual - all subways/ railways, major stations, admin offices, embassies, airlines, and details of all major areas, including Yokohama. Only 2,000 yen or so, never needs batteries, can use in the rain, throw in a bag. Should be everybodys' first purchase in Tokyo.

My hi-tech solution is the Pro Atlas Japan map for the Mac OSX - 10 GB of detail, 1:25,000 for Japan and 1:5,000 for major inner cities.

th

PS Ogikubo area (Asayaga to Kichijoji) is a great area - restaurants, parks, antique shops, live houses, The Library, cafes. Many want to live there due to railway access to Tokyo, and not so far away.

Comment

TH- that's what my friend says- hope it's not TOO hard to find a place. My contacts should help, though. I read on a Kwasaki web sit that it's 40 minutes to Tokyo. What's up with that- by bus?

bla- If it's really 10 minutes (what line?), I will probably take the job- although I just realized that it's unlikely I would have subsideized housing ten minutes fron Shinjuku.

Comment

10 minutes is not even close to reality - Chuo/ Sobu line is a very busy line. Most people live 5-15 minutes from a station; you generally have to wait for one/ two trains at Ogikubo, then stand all the way to Shinjuku which is one of the busiest stations in the world, with national, private railways and subways connecting there. (2.5-3 million pax/day) Next you must get out of Shinjuku, to office areas, another 10-20 minutes. So you are looking at a 45 minute commute, door-to-door. The average commute in Tokyo is 90 minutes, each way. Spent 5 years near Ogikubo, know it well!

th

Comment

I concur

From Ikuta station in Kawasaki to Shinjuku station is roughly 46mins on the Chuo sen if no one does a platform dive.

Comment

Ikuta, which is way in the North of Kawasaki is 35 mins by train on the Odayku line, not the Chuo line.

But what is this guy wanting to know?

Kawasaki or Ogikubo to Shinjuku? Or wherever?
                  Kawasaki is also a big city, many lines go in and out.

Shin-kawasaki is 30 mins to Shinjuku on Shonan-Shinjuku line.

Kawasaki to Ogikubo is a nightmare, figure 90 mins via Nambu/ Chuo lines, or 60 mins via Shinjuku, no fun in the morning.

Comment

Sorry I meant Odaykusen , Been a while I guess

Comment

A nightmare, eh? That's what i wanted to know. I believe I'd be working 12 - 9 pm in kawasaki, it's not clear if I'll live there.

My "commute" to Ogikubo would be 7pm at night to take a class, and Sunday morning. Possibly less than 90 minutes then, huh?

I'm not sure this position will get me what I want- it's very important that I be able to practice. Maybe a school or part-time and privates are the only way?

Comment

Kawasaki to Ogikubo at 7 pm not so bad, Tokaido/ Yamanote/ Sobu Lines, easy changes at that time, and Sundays are fine - less than 90 mins.

Comment

How much less than 90? 45? 15? Lots of conflicting info. Too bad thetre's such a time limit to decide! 9 am PST today! I'd love to talk to my friend about it, but I can't get a hold of him.

Comment

BTW, in the job offer email it's stated that it's 17 minutes ti Tokyo from Kawasaki. Is this to the western-most border, or an exaggerated time to "downtown"

Comment

Tokyo station to Kawasaki station - fastest service is 19 minutes - Tokaido line limited express - but you never get that. Technically correct, but crock of sh*t for real life. These are station to station times, then you have to get out, buy tickets, walk around, and some Japanese stations are huge.

I have the JR Rail Guide in front of me, with times and all, so it is quite accurate, plus more than a few years of living here.

I could do Kawasaki to Ogikubo in around 70 minutes comfortably, (at my age I do not "haul ass" around town), outside of rush hours, allowing for 2 changes of train, transferring to other platforms up and downstairs, waiting for trains, and no arthritis playing me up.

Details:
                              kawasaki> shinagawa 10 mins tokaido line
                              shinagawa> shinjuku 19 mins yamanote line
                              shinjuku> ogikubo 10 mins chuo line
                              transfer times 3-5 minutes each
                              waiting times 3-5 minutes each
                              you do the maths!

It is not so bad, you have a job offer, you can get a visa, so join the gang.

th

Comment

Working...
                              X