Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

iPhone as 3G modem via USB, (aka tethering?) Softbank policy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone as 3G modem via USB, (aka tethering?) Softbank policy?

I've finally got a hold of a iPhone 3GS from SoftBank, and seeing how my internet provider (AOL) are taking their sweet time on doing the maintenance for getting a internet connection into my apartment I've been looking at different ways of getting a internet connection on my computer via the iPhone.

Got it Jailbroken as well, using SpiritJB for iPhone 3GS running on 3.1.3 / any baseband / any bootrom.

So far I'm using a 3rd party software (PDAnet) which works well, but costs money when the trial period is over..

I've read that you can configure the iPhone to work as a bluetooth/WiFi access point (tethering?) but I can't seem to find the settings needed for Softbank. And what kind of worries me is; do softbank allow tethering? If I can play it safe using PDAnet I'll suck it up, and buy it when the trial is over, but if there is a way of configuring the iPhone I'd really give that a try.

Thanks

I'd like more information on this too. I also have an iPhone 3GS with Softbank, jailbroken (Spirit) with the tethering option unlocked in network settings. I have heard people say that Softbank can detect the use of 'illegal' tethering and charges an outrageous amount for it on the monthly bill, but I have also seen others say that there is no extra charge and it is completely safe. I'd love to continue and use tethering so that I can check my e-mail or surf the net when I am out of the house, but it isn't worth it if Softbank hits me with an expensive fee.

Keep in mind that I only use tethering for light use (e-mails, surfing the net, youtube) and I don't do it very often. I know that there are people who abuse the hell out of the 'unlimited' data service by tethering and downloading movies, torrents, games, and so forth. I can understand why Softbank may slap on a harsh penalty fee for that. I guess my question is, does anybody else have more experience and insight in this matter?

Regards,
    Alexander

Comment

I've never really had any problems with tethering. I also use PDAnet and have never paid extra on my bill.

Comment

There is another option on Cydia/Rock called MyWi, only $9.99 after trial period.
        You could use the cracked version of course....

Comment

Originally posted by japanesepeso View Post
          I've never really had any problems with tethering. I also use PDAnet and have never paid extra on my bill.
          me too- no problems here.

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
          There is another option on Cydia/Rock called MyWi, only $9.99 after trial period.
          is it any faster than pdanet?

Comment

I used MyWi for an hour or so when I was changed internet providers to check email etc.......The next billfrom Softbank was 2000yen higher than usual. I'm not saying it's dues to tethering, but I haven't used it since and my monthly bill is back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by quato View Post

is it any faster than pdanet?
              I don't know, never needed to use iPhone tether, it has good reviews though.

Originally posted by schizm View Post
              I used MyWi for an hour or so when I was changed internet providers to check email etc.......The next billfrom Softbank was 2000yen higher than usual. I'm not saying it's dues to tethering, but I haven't used it since and my monthly bill is back to normal.
              Did you query your bill with Softbank? Interesting to find out if this really was the cause.

Comment

Did you query your bill with Softbank? Interesting to find out if this really was the cause.
                I didn't. I assumed it was due to the tethering as it was the only variation in my usage. But, reading this thread I see other users have no additional fees, so it could have been something unrelated.

Comment

pdanet does that to. They are both the same speed pretty much (I've used both). Something like 2.4 mbps over 3G.

Comment

Originally posted by japanesepeso View Post
                    pdanet does that to. They are both the same speed pretty much (I've used both). Something like 2.4 mbps over 3G.
                    Actually, no. PDANet doesn't create a wireless network - you have to create the network on your PC and then connect to it with the iPhone. MyWi actually creates a network, no PC required - so you can use it with the iPad or an iPod touch, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mavis View Post
                      Actually, no. PDANet doesn't create a wireless network - you have to create the network on your PC and then connect to it with the iPhone. MyWi actually creates a network, no PC required - so you can use it with the iPad or an iPod touch, etc.
                      Ahhh...japanesepeepee isn't going to let a little thing like facts get in the way of his messages.

Comment

Originally posted by mavis View Post
                        Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, sorry about that, my bad.

Comment

Just an update

Hi there eveyone!

I've been searching around the net for an answer about the dangers and or how the tethering would work on the iPhone 4.

Anyways, I wasn't able find an solid answer so I just bought a iPhone 4 on the Pack-ho-dai (4,410Yen) a month plan.

I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and just picked it up the other day. The phone was running the 4.0.1 firmware so I was able to get it jailbreaked and installed Mywi from the Cydia Store.

I'm still running on the trail version but it works great!

I will update and have a look if there are any extra charges on my softbank bill...

Cheers!

-Tom

Comment

Just an update

So.... I have good news !!

After picking up a Locked Softbank iPhone 4 about a week ago, I can confirm that I am able to jailbreak it, install MyWi and still use the Pakkehodai with out being charged extra fees.

Although it is rather scary to see that I would be at 400,000yen with out the discount.

^__^

.... I'll let you know if anything bad happens......

Oh yea... Just a tech tip.... I have my computer running though a third party VPN in Tokyo so that Softbank can't see what I'm doing.

PS: The 400,000 charge looks like a lot but if you do the math

1 Packet = 128 bytes
                            1 Packet cost 0.08 Yen

400,000 / 0.08 Yen = 5000000 Packets = 640 000 000 bytes = 610.351562 megabytes over a 1 week period..

One Youtube alone can be almost 100 megs...

^__^

Comment

Originally posted by tomu View Post
                              So.... I have good news !!

After picking up a Locked Softbank iPhone 4 about a week ago, I can confirm that I am able to jailbreak it, install MyWi and still use the Pakkehodai with out being charged extra fees.

Although it is rather scary to see that I would be at 400,000yen with out the discount.

^__^

.... I'll let you know if anything bad happens......

Oh yea... Just a tech tip.... I have my computer running though a third party VPN in Tokyo so that Softbank can't see what I'm doing.

PS: The 400,000 charge looks like a lot but if you do the math

1 Packet = 128 bytes
                              1 Packet cost 0.08 Yen

400,000 / 0.08 Yen = 5000000 Packets = 640 000 000 bytes = 610.351562 megabytes over a 1 week period..

One Youtube alone can be almost 100 megs...

^__^
                              Yeah SB won't charge you extra for tethering, but this does not mean that one should "abuse" it. Tethering onto the 3G network is fine but it should not be your primary source for internet access. I wouldn't download torrent files and what not because they will be suspicious and you'll most likely get a call from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X