X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the fanboys

My trusty well used and abused Dell laptop (XP) will need replacing shortly.
    I want something different next time, either Linux or a mac. So my questions, what would you recommend for a mac and why? Is the extra expense worth it? What is mac like with Japanese and English?
    Please edumacate a mac noob.

My desktop machines are XP and Ubuntu linux, Ubuntu is pretty damn good considering it's free

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
    My trusty well used and abused Dell laptop (XP) will need replacing shortly.
    I want something different next time, either Linux or a mac. So my questions, what would you recommend for a mac and why? Is the extra expense worth it? What is mac like with Japanese and English?
    Please edumacate a mac noob.

My desktop machines are XP and Ubuntu linux, Ubuntu is pretty damn good considering it's free
    I'd wait till next spring when the 2nd generation of SSD MacBook Pros come out. I looked at the 1st gen models previously, they're nice but, very pricey, they're much lighter and run a lot cooler than the current MacBooks do, have upgraded video and audio as well as other features that make these models potentially a good buy from next year. Next year will also see the implementation of UEFI which will replace BIOS and the subsequent changes in computer memory and implementation. AND, considering that there will be a 20% drop in price on these new computers and a 50% decrease on 3rd Gen iPads from next spring, I'd wait.

Comment

Japanese input is effortless with Mac OS. One customizable keyboard command to switch from english to japanese input.

The reason we originally switched from windoze to Mac was so we could set up two user accounts on the mac, one with the system in Japanese for my wife and the other account with the system in english. Switching between accounts is just one menu click away.

Mac is a cult, no doubt. You have the initial cost of your PC, but then there are peripherals. If you want to use a powerpoint projector, you need a $50 proprietary dongle. Further, the next model of mac that comes out will require a different $50 dongle for the same purpose. Gouging is a way of life at Apple.

I am an iphone user, and so the synching of contacts, itunes, ical, iphoto, mail & safari is naturally pretty much seamless. Nothing you couldn't put together with other machines, but with mac you don't have to think. It's a cult for idiots.

Overall, if you are a techie who is into customization you may find Mac inhibiting. That is the tradeoff for stability and security. Don't do it.

BTW - TAFFY, your avatar looks disturbingly like my brother-in-law.
      Last edited by Yukkuri Kame; 2010-10-07, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I agree with the waiting idea - UEFI could change things a lot. However, for the price of a MacBook Air you could have a Win 7 desktop AND laptop.

I would love to use a Mac - but my knowledge level with Win PCs is such that I can't get away from them (then again I DID switch from Diet Coke to Coca-Cola Zero a couple of years ago - so anything is possible )

Comment

Thanks for the info, the cost of the mac is putting me off and although the idea of using with my iPhone is interesting, I can get 2 PC laptops for the price of a macbook.....
          I need Japanese input, and don't want to buy Windoze ultimate for that privilege, another con.

Cheapest by far is linux, only problem I find with that is compatibility with some equipment like printers.
          And can't run iTunes of course.
          Originally posted by Yukkuri Kame View Post

That is the late great Ollie Read, a true pub legend. TV interviews with him completely pissed are classics!
          Originally posted by mr.sumo.snr View Post
          (then again I DID switch from Diet Coke to Coca-Cola Zero a couple of years ago - so anything is possible )
          I tried that, Cola zero gives me the ____s

Comment

Originally posted by Yukkuri Kame View Post
            Japanese input is effortless with Mac OS. One customizable keyboard command to switch from english to japanese input.

The reason we originally switched from windoze to Mac was so we could set up two user accounts on the mac, one with the system in Japanese for my wife and the other account with the system in english. Switching between accounts is just one menu click away.

Mac is a cult, no doubt. You have the initial cost of your PC, but then there are peripherals. If you want to use a powerpoint projector, you need a $50 proprietary dongle. Further, the next model of mac that comes out will require a different $50 dongle for the same purpose. Gouging is a way of life at Apple.

I am an iphone user, and so the synching of contacts, itunes, ical, iphoto, mail & safari is naturally pretty much seamless. Nothing you couldn't put together with other machines, but with mac you don't have to think. It's a cult for idiots.

Overall, if you are a techie who is into customization you may find Mac inhibiting. That is the tradeoff for stability and security. Don't do it.

There's a lot of good that comes with having a Mac, fewer viruses, an off the shelf Mac starts out at the same level as a Windoze machine and so on and so forth.

The bit about price gouging is true but that can be easily subverted by a trip to the Hackintosh forums at Codez4Mac.

But, the real fun begins when you put a Snowleopard hack on an Windoz Intel machine.

Comment

Seems the consensus is to wait, and having just found out what UEFI is I think I agree
              Still weighing up the different OS', can't see Apple dropping to PC prices though.

Comment

Seems the consensus is to wait, and having just found out what UEFI is I think I agree
                Still weighing up the different OS', can't see Apple dropping to PC prices though.
                Apple will never make a machine that is priced the same as a PC.

Comment

That is the late great Ollie Read, a true pub legend. TV interviews with him completely pissed are classics!
                  Drunk englishman, yes, that explains the resemblance to B.I.L.

I only really recognize Ollie as the guy banging Ann Margaret in Tommy.

Comment

when I first saw this thread I thought it was "Question for the ladyboys"

Comment

Originally posted by Don Juan View Post
                      So you felt compelled to answer! Secrets out DJ!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Juan View Post
                        How far along are you? I take it you look something like this now:

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                          How far along are you? I take it you look something like this now:
                          Nice boobs....

(and yes I know it is Haruna Ai....)

Comment

Well I didn't think you'd be that uninformed. But seeing that you've admitted to being a ladyboy has just ruined your reputation on GP. Watch out for the implant jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                              Well I didn't think you'd be that uninformed. But seeing that you've admitted to being a ladyboy has just ruined your reputation on GP. Watch out for the implant jokes.
                              really? (roger moore's raised eyebrow)

Comment

Working...
                              X