X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCN, NTT, Flets, VDSL and CTU...eh?

I recently signed up for the Flets Premium 100mb service through NTT West, and OCN is my internet provider.

I thought the service would come with a wireless router being the 21st Century and everything, but I was mistaken. Instead NTT have provided me with a wired VDSL router, and something called a CTU (could someone explain to me what exactly the CTU is?). How would I go about attaching a wireless router to this setup? Would I just replace the VDSL with a wireless router? If so, do I have to have a specific type of router to work with this CTU thing?
    Also, does anyone know if NTT provide wireless routers, or is it just the wired VDSLs? I'm currently renting the VDSL from NTT you see, and I'd like to know if I could just replace it with a wireless router.

Thanks for your help!

(also, why are there 3 different companies involved in my internet service? I understand an Internet Service Provider, and I understand what NTT is, I don't however understand why an Internet Service Carrier like Flets is needed, if someone could explain that to me it would be very much appreciated)

Originally posted by rossalbritten View Post
    I recently signed up for the Flets Premium 100mb service through NTT West, and OCN is my internet provider.

I thought the service would come with a wireless router being the 21st Century and everything, but I was mistaken. Instead NTT have provided me with a wired VDSL router, and something called a CTU (could someone explain to me what exactly the CTU is?). How would I go about attaching a wireless router to this setup? Would I just replace the VDSL with a wireless router? If so, do I have to have a specific type of router to work with this CTU thing?
    Also, does anyone know if NTT provide wireless routers, or is it just the wired VDSLs? I'm currently renting the VDSL from NTT you see, and I'd like to know if I could just replace it with a wireless router.

Thanks for your help!

(also, why are there 3 different companies involved in my internet service? I understand an Internet Service Provider, and I understand what NTT is, I don't however understand why an Internet Service Carrier like Flets is needed, if someone could explain that to me it would be very much appreciated)
    A CTU is a translator for the signal that comes out of the wirw and into your house, that signal then comes of the CTU and into your router which if you have several computers connected it directs traffic to the right computer signal coming in to your house, it. First thing to do is make sure your computer is turned off as well as the wireless router, the CTU can be on. You might be able to do without the wired router (try connecting a wireless one to the CTU, take the cable from the CTU and plug it into the WAN port of the router), turn on the wireless router and wait for it to run through the lights, then start up your computer and see if you can get an IP address, If you can, set up your wireless network. if for some reason you can not, then all you have to do is connect the wireless router to one of the LAN ports on the wired router and set up your network. If you have troubles getting an address, you might need to turn of everything and reset the wired router, then the wireless. Anyway, do not tell any of the companies what you have done, because they`ll want to charge you for a wireless network.

Why are there 3 different companies involved? there are just two companies involved NTT provides the line, OCN provides the Internet service . Flets is the name NTT uses for the service. All the names can be a bit confusing but it is just two companies.
    Last edited by BackDoor_Man; 2012-10-10, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
      A CTU is a translator for the comes out of the CTU and into your router which if you have several computers connected it directs traffic to the right computer signal coming in to your house, it. First thing to do is make sure your computer is turned off as well as the wireless router, the CTU can be on. You might be able to do without the wired router (try connecting a wireless one to the CTU(take the cable from the CTU and plug it into the WAN port of the router), turn on the wireless router and wait for it to run through the lights, then start up your computer and see if you can get an IP address, If you can set up your wireless network. if for some reason you can not, then all you have to do is connect the wireless router to one of the LAN ports on the wired router and set up your network. If you have troubles getting an address, you might need to turn of everything and reset the wired router, then the wireless. Anyway, do not tell any of the companies what you have done, because they`ll want to charge you for a wireless network.

Why are there 3 different companies involved? there are just two companies involved NTT provides the line, OCn provides the Internet service . Flets is the name NTT uses for the service. All the names can be a bit confusing but it is just two companies
      Thanks for the quick reply! I will go buy a wireless router tomorrow. Do you have any recommendations for a compatible wireless router?

Comment

I use a Buffalo WZr2-G300N and it works great! You can get an English manual and other things out of the Buffalo USA website!

Comment

I gotta ask something, about this OCN thing here. I can`t connect my ASUS Laptop, I even have a router but still, I can`t connect through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enchanter View Post
            I gotta ask something, about this OCN thing here. I can`t connect my ASUS Laptop, I even have a router but still, I can`t connect through it.
            Well you got to have a contract with them!

Comment

Originally posted by rossalbritten View Post

Thanks for your help!

I also faced same scenario. Was able to setup the wireless LAN such that now I dont need to enter UID/PWD everytime I want to use internet. Steps I followed are as follows:

1. Connect the LAN wire from VDSL to the LAN1 of the wireless router.
              2. Connect to internet using UID/ PWD provided by the ISP.
              3. Go to the network page and check the IP of the wireless router. Its normally 192.168.1.1. or 192.168.0.1 depending on the make.
              4. Then open IE and enter this IP in the address bar. Click enter.
              5. The router setting page will be displayed. Change the router setting to PPPOE router if its not.
              6. Go to the Connection section and enter the ISP userID/ PWD.
              7. Save the settings on the same page.
              switch off the wireless router.
              Disconnect the LAN wire from the VDSL and connect it to the WAN port of the wireless router.
              The wireless router "Active" button should blink and this will mean the router has been setup.

Connect any device to the wireless router and enjoy the Internet. w/o entering the UID/PWD again.

Comment

Working...
              X